Pancake breakfast?

"bjrutledge" said:
The restaurant Dan reviewed is very good but it serves crepes, and not what Americans refer to as "pancakes" or "flapjacks" or "hotcakes" (all regional terms that mean more or less the same thing).

I don't think there is any restaurant here that serves an American- or Canadian-style pancake breakfast --- pancakes with maple syrup, sausage or bacon, etc. Pancakes aren't difficult to make, but I haven't seen maple syrup for sale anywhere (although I suppose a place like Jumbo might have it).

I confirm: Jumbo carries maple syrup ( look for it where they have all the american goodies or where they display marmalades, honey, cake icing )

The NY Times today posted a short video on making pancakes at home. They looked so good I wanted to eat my computer!
The recipe is all in "ones":
1 Cup Flour
1 Cup Milk
1 Egg
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Teaspoon baking powder
Enjoy!
Brad

bradhapa said:
Thanks for the replies. If anyone decides to open up a diner I'll happily be your first customer! (Bagels would be a successful offering, too.)Un brazo,Brad

Hi, we´re baking homemade bagels, please check out our space: www.elbagelazo.blogspot.com
We´re two best friends, expats from Germany who lived in the States, and now in BA we felt that there was a need for good bagels delivery...so we ended up with this idea! Hope that you´ll find it interesting!! Saludos!!

Boy,,,all that talk about pancakes is making me C-R-A-V-E them!!!! I will use that recipe that is posted and make some tomorrow morning. I finally found maple syrup at Disco on Elcano....52 pesos for a small bottle. I had spent two weeks searching in the JUMBO in Palermo and Martinez and neither one had it. Still looking for American-style dark brown sugar..the really moist, carmel-flavor kind like C&H dark brown sugar. Azucar negro or azucar rubio just doesn't cut it.

They place I KNOW has good waffles for decades is THE EMBERS in Acassuso.
They also have GREAT CHILI CON CARNE, and stuffed baked potatoes, giant texas hot dogs, cheesburgers, great ONION SOUP, etc.

They used to have a 2nd store on Florida street downtown, but now only the original remains on Libertador, near corner of Guemes. It´s 3 blocks before Kansas, coming from the city, left hand side.

KANSAS may also have waffles or pancakes. They do have great Blueberry-cheesecake made with Philadelphia cream cheese. Also carrot-cake, plus others.
They also have a GREAT CHILI, but UNADVERTISED. Just ask for it as it´s off the menu. I figured that out when I ordered a "Martinez Burger" that had the chili on the side, and then started asking for it alone and to take out.

They also have GREAT MASHED POTATOES, and just about the BEST TASTING SOUPS you can find anywhere. (not to mention the best of this city where you can barely find any soup)
ENJOY
Joe

There's a pancake restaurant called el Amanacer de Carlitos ... Cruzando la Gral.Paz desde Capital por av.Libertador, frente al supermercado Carrefour. Their menu is about 30 pages long with almost all pancakes... pancakes with everything from eggs to strawberries to asado to avocado to chocolate. They're more like pancakes than crepes but I didn't see any with maple syrup, though I got tired of reading the menu and just ordered a burger.

If you're looking for an American-style brunch, I'd suggest this place:

Amaranta Bistro y Pasteleria
http://www.amarantabistro.blogspot.com/
Recoleta - Junin 1559 Telephone 4803-9755
8am-7pm Tuesday - Sunday
bonuses: delivery & free wi-fi

Their menu is large and eclectic. For instance:

Waffles, pancakes, french toast, eggs benedict, bagels, english muffins, smoothies, cheesecake, key lime pie, oreo cake, quesadillas, chicken wings, etc..

And some of you will be happy to know that they sell maple syrup (as of the last time I went).

My review: I think their food is sufficiently good enough to satisfy expat cravings but it won't blow you away. They have a good brunch menu on the weekends at a great price if you manage to get there early enough (I think 2pm or 3pm). The place itself is cute but small. It's a fun place to go with a small group but you'll also feel fine going alone. I often see people there with their laptops because they have free wi-fi.

Here are some more reviews and pics from Guia Oleo: http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar/detail.php?ID=3432

I've been here for ten years and instead of searching for a place that serves pancakes, I make my own. Friends from the States bring me Log Cabin syrup which can last two months.

Here is a simple recipe for oatmeal pancakes. I've made it so many times, I know the recipe by heart:

3/4 cup traditional oatmeal
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 egg
1 cup of natural yogurt
1 tsp. oil

Mix all ingredients in a bowl to blend. Heat a nonstick frying pan or griddle on medium. Two tablespoons batter for each pancake. Makes about six.

When I don't have syrup, I spread Canale blueberry preserves on each pancake and top with yogurt.

Thanks so much for the oatmeal pancakes recipe...going to make them this morning!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
tangobob Food and Drink 11
Tilda Food and Drink 15
Joe Food and Drink 15
M Food and Drink 0
GS_Dirtboy Expat Life 19
Back