Paying bills?

I believe all rquired bill paying is currently suspended and we are not required to pay rent or any other bills that
may come due. Perhaps there are others who know more than this, but we're in your situation, too and normally
pay everything through the Pago outlets, If they're closed there's nowhere to pay!

You are wrong about this. Rent is due.
Freezing rent means it can not be raised from the amount agreed and payed by a certain date, defined in the decree. So if your rent was supposed to raise in the period contemplated by the current decree you won´t have to pay more but stick to the previous period amount.

Rent is income for a lot of people, some of them rent their own homes for a small difference and are tennants too.

Iz

1. Teleportation
2. Cash deposit to a third party using an ATM machine
3. Promise to pay him later

Given current unfortunate circumstances, you may want to reconsider "I use cash for everything" approach, unless it is a life-long principal position.

It is probably impossible to get a physical debit card now, but I believe Mercado Pago accepts cash deposits via the Link ATM network. You should be able to create lo an account with DNI and cell phone number only.
Mercadopago accepts credit cards.
You can pay electricity and other services with MP.

You are wrong about this. Rent is due.
Freezing rent means it can not be raised from the amount agreed and payed by a certain date, defined in the decree. So if your rent was supposed to raise in the period contemplated by the current decree you won´t have to pay more but stick to the previous period amount.

Rent is income for a lot of people, some of them rent their own homes for a small difference and are tennants too.

Iz
You are wrong.
Evictions are forbidden for 6 month. So, you pay if you can.
Normally payment is cash. Even if the real Estate agent is proactive and a bank transfer is an option, you need to have cash there. I do not.
I have the money to pay, i cannot pay.
I offered them to pay with MP. Wait and see.
Utilities bills are the same.

I pay all my bills at Rapipago, too. Now that they're closed, I needed another option. Fortunately, I opened an account at Banco Ciudad a year ago. It's a free account in pesos for seniors that includes a Visa Debit card. All you need is a DNI and copies of three months of your US bank statements showing deposits from social security. Then you can use Home Banking on the account for paying bills. This requires getting a TOKEN number (segundo factor) for security with your cell phone. I don't have a cell phone, so I can't use Home Banking on my computer at home. I paid my bills in cash for years at Rapipago, but starting using the Visa Debit when it was accepted for payment and also withdrawing cash.

I signed up years ago to receive the Edesur and Metrogas bills through email. The Edesur bill is still delivered, but the Metrogas is not to save paper. I have paid both of these monthly bills on the respective websites with my Visa debit. The process is simple and payment is confirmed by email. Then I check my bank balance online where the debits are listed the same day.

Another option, for those with a Visa Debit from Banco Ciudad is using LINK PAGO. The Banelco and LINK ATMs are always open and available for bill payment. I paid last month's Movistar Hogar (ex Telefonica) this way for the first time. All I needed was my client number to enter and select the payment on the screen. I received a receipt for payment printed at the ATM.

Mercado Pago may be another option for those without a local bank account or credit/debit card.
A
Do you have a DNI? I understand that you may open a DNI account online with Banco Provincia de Buenos Aires. Check it out.
I don't want a bank account here. A dollars to pesos account costs $20.00 US a month. Then I have to deal with ATMs here , no thanks. The exchange rate I get from Western Union is much higher than the Blue rate. I will stay all cash as long as humanly possible.

why would you not pay if you have the money to pay?
Many people may indeed have the money to pay their rent, but if those funds are in a bank account and the landlord only acepts cash (which is most often the case), it will be impossible to pay until the banks reopen for business to customers below the age of 65.

Assuming the lowest rents average at least $30.000 pesos per month, no one can (or should) be expected to get enough money out of an ATM to pay their rent. Imagine how many trips that would take...and how dangerous they would be!.

BC2 offerd to apy with MP (Mercado Pago). That means he is willing to pay if the landlord is willing to accept it.

Bank to bank transfers might be another option, but only if the tenant offers to pay this way and landlord will accept it

If the landlord won´t accept Mercdo Pago or a bank to bank transfer, he will just have to wait.

PS: I imagine many Argentines have undeclared and or extra cash on hand, but they may not want to use it at this time to pay for their rent if they can delay rent payments until they can start working again. Right now cash for food is probably their number one priority.

Assuming the lowest rents average at least $30.000 pesos per month, no one can (or should) be expected to get enough money out of an ATM to pay their rent. Imagine how many trips that would take...and how dangerous they would be!.

My bank increased ATM withdrawals limit to 30,000 pesos the very next day the quarantine had started. May be other local banks did the same.

You are wrong.
Evictions are forbidden for 6 month. So, you pay if you can.
Normally payment is cash. Even if the real Estate agent is proactive and a bank transfer is an option, you need to have cash there. I do not.
I have the money to pay, i cannot pay.
I offered them to pay with MP. Wait and see.
Utilities bills are the same.

That is your opinion and /or a twisted way of looking at it.

Rent is due. Period. No Bajo-cero2 BS.

All enquries by tennants are how they go about paying, not how to skip and delay until October.
If you CAN'T pay (mandatory option #1) THEN you can rest at easy that you won't be evicted BUT you will have to pay (like it or not, for the time being) starting October (option #2). Interest YES, penalties NO.

What you are suggesting is to take advantage of the situation. Shame on you.

Iz

A

I don't want a bank account here. A dollars to pesos account costs $20.00 US a month. Then I have to deal with ATMs here , no thanks. The exchange rate I get from Western Union is much higher than the Blue rate. I will stay all cash as long as humanly possible.

if you know some body, who has pesos, you can change dollars at a pretty good rate. For example at 83, while western union may get you 88..you still have to pay 50 usd for using debit card ( cash pick up) or take favor from a friend in USA to go and deposit in cash ( amid the Covid 19 crisis there)..Not worth it..

I think short term its worth it for immediate expenses.

I remember when the peso was equal to the dollar. It was so simple then.

Back