Peanut butter prices probably going to rise.....

AlfajorEfi said:
I also ask myself how come in top restaurants in Palermo and Puerto Madero they don't have a waiter or manager who speak English fluently. They are dumb here with anything that makes the very least of logic and sense.
That's why our contractors are all Europeans, you just cannot work with locals here!

Possibly because the majority of tourists nowadays are Brazilian...

Lucas said:
Once Upon A Time There Was and Industria Argentina were nothing was imported and everything was developed, manufactured and commercialized here, but then we have the bad luck to have a military dictatorship supported by 'external forces' and an 'internal traitor force' which still current nowadays that destroyed all that. That was around 50 to 60 years ago in which the 'Industria Argentina' was wiped off the map as so many other things. Come back in another 40 years and if nothing is altered in this country by continuing on this route all that nightmare will be just a bad dream for the future generations.
Well yes, sort of. But the really the bad luck is that it became a world economy with a techno revolution and good old Industria Argentina was good at providing basics but never invested in R & D.
Invented Here is just not on the books so the Bad Dream looks like a reality for the future. It's very difficult to re-infuse a society with Creativity and the motivation to create after the incentives have been removed.

250g of unsalted peanuts 6/7pesos
a spoon or two of veg/sunflower oil... 40c (or peanut oil if you wanna get fancy...)
a little bit of salt - negligible.

put in blender.
natural, easy & cheap

ghost said:
Well yes, sort of. But the really the bad luck is that it became a world economy with a techno revolution and good old Industria Argentina was good at providing basics but never invested in R & D.
Invented Here is just not on the books so the Bad Dream looks like a reality for the future. It's very difficult to re-infuse a society with Creativity and the motivation to create after the incentives have been removed.

Argentina has a blossoming IT industry the problem being they are fucked over at every possible step by a government who insist on overly taxing tech.

scotttswan said:
Argentina has a blossoming IT industry the problem being they are fucked over at every possible step by a government who insist on overly taxing tech.

Just be glad they don't tax bad (and/or offensive) English!

ghost said:

The incentives are starting to be introduced after 50 years of a total lethargic neurological hibernation, this government is implementing this new paradigm for the coming generation but also we have to be realistic that this will come with a price and that price is a continuous and consistent financial backup by future governments and probably which is the most important ingredient of them all, the tyranny of time to prepare this new crop of scientific community, then the creativity, the motivation and the scientific progress will come back once more as is was once upon a time and it should be for this country.

There was a time here as in all societies and eras around the world that people with a great intellect had not other option but to emigrate and be absorbed later on into others foreign societies because they did not have the research and financial opportunities in their country, that by the way, expend a fortune in preparing them but later on didn't support their academic expression and development, a country in particular to exploit that opportunity in the last century was USA absorbing like a vacuum cleaner, sucking all the exceptional minds of scientific graduates around the world, a great quantity and quality of young Argentines minds went and were sucked that way.

Scientist in this country just were taken away by given them among others things a free or very generous scholarships, others just left by sheer disappointment or lack of opportunity, my cousin is one of them that promptly was given one to attract her in demerit of her own country which initially made the financial effort to grant her the initial qualifications in a free university supported by this nation society. USA by their part gained a brilliant mind with practically zero investment, in the meantime this country went deep and predictable into a brain exodus and with that scientific retrogression.

Lucas said:
The incentives are starting to be introduced after 50 years of a total lethargic neurological hibernation, this government is implementing this new paradigm for the coming generation but also we have to be realistic that this will come with a price and that price is a continuous and consistent financial backup by future governments and probably which is the most important ingredient of them all, the tyranny of time to prepare this new crop of scientific community, then the creativity, the motivation and the scientific progress will come back once more as is was once upon a time and it should be for this country.

There was a time here as in all societies and eras around the world that people with a great intellect had not other option but to emigrate and be absorbed later on into others foreign societies because they did not have the research and financial opportunities in their country, that by the way, expend a fortune in preparing them but later on didn't support their academic expression and development, a country in particular to exploit that opportunity in the last century was USA absorbing like a vacuum cleaner, sucking all the exceptional minds of scientific graduates around the world, a great quantity and quality of young Argentines minds went and were sucked that way.

Scientist in this country just were taken away by given them among others things a free or very generous scholarships, others just left by sheer disappointment or lack of opportunity, my cousin is one of them that promptly was given one to attract her in demerit of her own country which initially made the financial effort to grant her the initial qualifications in a free university supported by this nation society. USA by their part gained a brilliant mind with practically zero investment, in the meantime this country went deep and predictably into a brain exodus and with that scientific retrogression.

I love you, Lucas, but I had to reread this post (which is only four sentences) several times before I could even began to understand it...and realize that I agree with it 100%!!!!

I hope you don't mind if I offer an edited version of your post. My version contains 14 sentences. I have no desire to change the meaning of what you wrote...though (in order to be precise) I did change the word people to individuals. I also changed probably to perhaps , and I changed the word taken to lured, later on to eventually, and grant to provide. I also love the expression "the tyranny of time."

PS: I would love to be able to write 10% as well in Spanish as you write in English!!!!

I don't have any editing jobs today (my profession) so I hope you don't mind.

Here goes:

The incentives are starting to be introduced after 50 years of total lethargic and neurological hibernation. This government is implementing this new paradigm for the coming generation, but we also have to be realistic that this will come at a price. That price is a continuous and consistent financial backup by future governments. Perhaps the most important ingredient of them all is the tyranny of time to prepare this new crop of scientific community. Then the creativity, the motivation, and the scientific progress will come back once more, just as is was once upon a time and as it should be for this country.

There was a time here, as in all societies and eras around the world, that individuals with a great intellect had no other option but to emigrate and eventually be absorbed into other foreign societies because they did not have the research and financial opportunities in their own country, which, by the way, spent a fortune in preparing them, but later on didn't support their academic expression and development.

One country in particular that exploited that opportunity in the last century was the USA, absorbing like a vacuum cleaner all the exceptional minds of scientific graduates around the world. A great quantity and quality of young Argentines minds were sucked this way. (editor's note: YIKES!)

Scientists in this country were lured away by being given, among other things, free or very generous scholarships. Others just left by sheer disappointment or lack of opportunity. My cousin is one of them. She was promptly given one to attract her, to the detriment of the country that made the financial effort to provide her (with) the initial qualifications, at a free university, supported by this nation's society. The USA gained a brilliant mind with practically zero investment. In the meantime this country went into a deep and predictably brain exodus and, with that, scientific retrogression.

Be my guest Steve :) I really appreciate that, I never went to school to learn and write English so it shows, but I don't mind really for me is enough to get the message across and that is the important thing for me anyway. I know and I'm aware that the rules and grammatic structured phrases are not constructed in the correct way but they are near enough for the people to understand them, somehow, as yourself found out not an easy task. I'm not going to write a book nor to give a speech so for me is pretty irrelevant, and no, I'm no going to perfect, improving or polishing the language to old for that. But Hey! after reading how some youngsters write nowadays I'm not very concern about my writing skills at all :D

A great quantity and quality of young Argentines minds were sucked this way. (editor's note: YIKES!)

True, and it is normal for a country with the power (and money) to do this, the term 'sucked' is appropriate because that is really what they did and have been doing for centuries, Spain, England, Florence, etc, in their golden years attracted scientists, artist and entrepreneurs with promises of riches, fame and opportunities.

Let's face it, Steve - English is a crazy language. There is no egg in eggplant nor ham in hamburger; neither apple nor pine in pineapple. English muffins weren't invented in England or French fries in France.

And why is it that writers write but fingers don't fing, grocers don't groce and hammers don't ham? If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn't the plural of booth beeth? One goose, 2 geese. So one moose, 2 meese? One index, 2 indices?

Doesn't it seem crazy that you can make amends but not one amend. If you have a bunch of odds and ends and get rid of all but one of them, what do you call it?

If teachers taught, why didn't preachers praught? If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?

Sometimes I think all the English speakers should be committed to an asylum for the verbally insane....and I mean it!

Steve for example, in what language do people:
Recite at a play and play at a recital?
Ship by truck and send cargo by ship?
Have noses that run and feet that smell?
How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and a wise guy are opposites?

You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language in which your house can burn up as it burns down, in which you fill in a form by filling it out and in which, an alarm goes off by going on.

This crazy language is driving me mad... :D

"In the meantime this country went into a deep and predictably brain exodus and, with that, scientific retrogression."
I think you mean predictable????

Yes, I mean that...one point given as reward.....and typo fixed BTW, thanks.

Back