Peanut butter prices probably going to rise.....

BTW, how is going the peanut butter prices...still affordable or they do need to switch to dulce de leche? :(

ghost said:
"In the meantime this country went into a deep and predictably brain exodus and, with that, scientific retrogression."
I think you mean predictable????

I missed that one...It's a good example of why I never submit anything I've edited for pay at night. I almost always find something to correct the morning after.:D

(If this was a "job" I'd also do a bit more work on the last pargraph...but I think it's OK here.)

Lucas said:
Be my guest Steve :) I really appreciate that, I never went to school to learn and write English so it shows, but I don't mind really for me is enough to get the message across and that is the important thing for me anyway. I know and I'm aware that the rules and grammatic structured phrases are not constructed in the correct way but they are near enough for the people to understand them, somehow, as yourself found out not an easy task. I'm not going to write a book nor to give a speech so for me is pretty irrelevant, and no, I'm no going to perfect, improving or polishing the language to old for that. But Hey! after reading how some youngsters write nowadays I'm not very concern about my writing skills at all :D

A great quantity and quality of young Argentines minds were sucked this way. (editor's note: YIKES!)

True, and it is normal for a country with the power (and money) to do this, the term 'sucked' is appropriate because that is really what they did and have been doing for centuries, Spain, England, Florence, etc, in their golden years attracted scientists, artist and entrepreneurs with promises of riches, fame and opportunities.

Let's face it, Steve - English is a crazy language. There is no egg in eggplant nor ham in hamburger; neither apple nor pine in pineapple. English muffins weren't invented in England or French fries in France.

And why is it that writers write but fingers don't fing, grocers don't groce and hammers don't ham? If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn't the plural of booth beeth? One goose, 2 geese. So one moose, 2 meese? One index, 2 indices?

Doesn't it seem crazy that you can make amends but not one amend. If you have a bunch of odds and ends and get rid of all but one of them, what do you call it?

If teachers taught, why didn't preachers praught? If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?

Sometimes I think all the English speakers should be committed to an asylum for the verbally insane....and I mean it!

Steve for example, in what language do people:
Recite at a play and play at a recital?
Ship by truck and send cargo by ship?
Have noses that run and feet that smell?
How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and a wise guy are opposites?

You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language in which your house can burn up as it burns down, in which you fill in a form by filling it out and in which, an alarm goes off by going on.

This crazy language is driving me mad... :D

English is a difficult language for all the reasons you list. It's a borrower language and has taken words [still doing so] from every other language and adopts them. Then just to top it off we have invented most of the words in Tech, IT, Media, Aerospace, Oil and Gas and Commercial flight, just to perplex you folks.
And just as you think you are doing well with the language.........along come some garbage like Rap. Which can't be considered to be English.
[ohhhhh, my I'm sure this will start a firestorm about Rap and poetry]

Back