Pensionado Visa Peso requirement

we used a similar online fbi apostille service, it worked well. I was in the US at the time, though, so I had the final version mailed to me there and I hand carried it down. Was cheaper, but I am pretty sure you can have it DHL'ed here.
The monthly amount changes every month. They dont care if its official rate, they just want pesos in the correct amount. You can use Western Union direct to a bank account, and get much better than official, but a bit below blue.
They are all over the place. First they make you demonstrate a pension that meets a minimum. That minimum can only be calculated at the official exchange rate at the time (not some arbitrary WU rate that they can't possibly know). Then they say you must bring that pension in, but you can do so at a more favorable rate than the one they assessed you at.

Which is fine. Except that the difference is so big that some people are going to fail the first test yet have plenty of capacity to inject the funds that Migraciones would actually require.

To be honest, and this is just my opinion, but the whole system seems dependent on who processes your case and what kind of day they have had when your file comes across their desk.

As far as I see it, other than the money spent in fees to apply for the visa (as well as lawyer fees as needed, which I do not think it truly necessary), what do you really have to lose versus what you gain?

Sure, in theory, if the banking in Argentina at the official rate is enforced on not just rentistas, but pensionados, then you can make a choice later down the road to leave and go somewhere else and apply for a visa in that country.

At the end of the day, and again, this is just my opinion, your desire to reside in Argentina should extend beyond just the financial benefits afforded to you as a foreigner via the blue dollar.

*If* your only motivation in being here is because of how your buying power is extended versus what it is in your home country, then go somewhere else if you disagree with the requirement to bank here at the official rate... which of course is a true unknown.

In the end, you will either be asked to do so, or you will not.

It could happen now, or, if not now, then maybe when you apply for renewal after your first year of temporary residency was approved... or maybe never.

Who knows what the future holds. That is why everyone here lives in the moment.

Which, if in the future, if that requirement is asked of you as a pensionado after having already been here at least a year on your visa, then you can either leave and go somewhere else, accept things as they are and bank at the official rate, or, switch your visa type to a student visa, apply, and go to school for a year (for free, for now) until you have reached the two-year threshold and qualify for naturalization (which is two years as opposed to three for permanent residency).

Most likely, if you are here in Argentina on a pensionado visa, you are not looking to work. You are only required to pay taxes on work sourced in Argentina, not benefits you are entitled to, especially if those benefits are tax-free from the U.S. federal government (in the case if SSA or VA).

Of course, banking in Argentina at the official rate, while not a tax, does decrease your buying power, (which would be even more the case if you were banking here AND paying taxes on income earned here).

Remember, in the case of SSA and VA, it is not, as far as the U.S. government is concerned, counted as earned income. It is unearned, or passive income.

In the case of SSA, it is an entitlement, based on your ability to work, while VA is compensation for your military service and illness and injury incurred in the line of duty.

The VA cannot make you better for your sacrifice, but they can give you money to help ease your pain and suffering.

There are always a work-around to every problem in life, you just have to be bold and creative and courageous enough to try.

Remember, ask for forgiveness, not permission.

Good luck.
Two quick points: VA C&P benefits in the USA are not income of any kind. It is non-taxable compensation. If you categorize it here as income, AFIP will happily assess you. I use mine as my source of pension and have never been challenged regarding taxes.

Secondly, today is my 401st day in trámite simply to renew an existing residency visa. I have a long history here with zero problems. And I know three people at the Antártida office. Same green Christmas tree checkmarks from top to bottom. Same excuse - we're busy with the Russians. I expect things will be unstuck around 10 DEC.

Ok , well we are nearing the time to renew our pensionista visa- and now they are saying we have to do a bank transfer of 790000 pesos at the official $ rate no more WU- that means the 2000 y pico dollars disolve into nada - we are using a lawyer. This is getting too weird , they have changed the rules 4 times since June. what to do?

If you have a bank account in Argentina (and you are entitled to have one, since you have a DNI as a pensionista visa holder), you just need to make a SWIFT transfer into it. So basic. And all of Argentinean are expeting curency market being unified, so no difference in between restricted and free currencies market will be expected (soon).

I have had my temporary (one-year) residency approved and there was no requirement that I have my Social Security payments or my US pension deposited in a bank in Buenos Aires. (I did have to show proof of income that meets the current standard). That money still goes to my account at Bank of America in New York City, and I transfer money from there via Western Union to my BancoCiudad account here. BTW, I had a great lawyer working on this — Léon Unger.
If you have a bank account in Argentina (and you are entitled to have one, since you have a DNI as a pensionista visa holder), you just need to make a SWIFT transfer into it. So basic. And all of Argentinean are expeting curency market being unified, so no difference in between restricted and free currencies market will be expected (soon).
Thanks, yes we do have a bank account and i did create a dollar account but i havent used it- I dont know if its the same number as my regular account and I thought there is a limit of what and hiw much you can receive or take out?!?

Thanks, yes we do have a bank account and i did create a dollar account but i havent used it- I dont know if its the same number as my regular account and I thought there is a limit of what and hiw much you can receive or take out?!?

If you have an account and it has lain dormant for quite a while, don't expect to be able to start using it instantaneously without the bank performing due diligence checks which may prove somewhat time consuming. DAMHIKT

Ok , well we are nearing the time to renew our pensionista visa- and now they are saying we have to do a bank transfer of 790000 pesos at the official $ rate no more WU- that means the 2000 y pico dollars disolve into nada - we are using a lawyer. This is getting too weird , they have changed the rules 4 times since June. what to do?
The official dollar goes to 800 pesos as of the Economy Minister's announcement a few minutes ago. So that softens the blow considerably if your lawyer can't get them to desist. It's not clear whether the dollar is fixed at that rate or floats. Obviously, the minimum monthly salary will continue to rise, changing the current equation of 790,000 pesos each month. But again, it remains to be seen how much it will increase from here on in. But, for now, at least, it looks more promising for you.

You have to wonder what impact the government's public service measures will have on the attitude of staff at Migraciones and on their capacity to process applications in the coming months.

Because no sentient being can be so incompetent, I've concluded that Migración, when they're actually 'working', intentionally conjures up rules from the ether as one goes through the ordeal. It's Alice in Wonderland meets Idiocracy.

I'm waiting / hoping that the new Interior Minister, Guillermo Francos, will soon ascertain how deranged and arbitrary the process is. And then get rid of the drones at the top. I first came to BA in '86. Migración has always been an adrenochrome nightmare. It's their tradition, legacy and culture. Which needs to be scrapped and overhauled.

Back