Racism Towards People From The States?

Hmmmm. So, what Pantone color does "Mexican migrant worker" correspond to? What about legal Mexican migrant workers? Do they also have a shade?

You're proving the point you THINK Camberiu was trying to make?

EDIT: And no surprise that Matias likes your post, with his love of diminutive terms like "negro." You two make quite a couple.

Well, I assume they figured she was an illegal migrant worker when they would tell her to go back to Mexico, or shove her and push her grocery cart over while calling her a dirty Illegal Mexican. Maybe my assumption was wrong then. Those type of incidents never happened to her in Argentina, just in good old Southern California.

So just to piss off the racist neighbors she would invite her Mexican friends and have them set up their stereo and speakers and play salsa music and we all danced in the patio. She only knew how to dance Tarantella being Argentine/Italian.

PS: I do see the irony in two white guys arguing about what is and isn't racist.

Actually, thinking about this a little more ....

If Camberiu and Ceviche both say that they don't see "negro" as either racist or having racist connotations, I'll never bring it up again on BAXpats.

But if they do, they hopefully that will open Matias' ethnocentric eyes.

Ha ha, who am I kidding!

Actually, thinking about this a little more ....

If Camberiu and Ceviche both say that they don't see "negro" as either racist or having racist connotations, I'll never bring it up again on BAXpats.

But if they do, they hopefully that will open Matias' ethnocentric eyes.

Ha ha, who am I kidding!

As El Chapo's tunneling consultant, Matías squints when he emerges into the daylight.

I have a hard time with this one, not only for race but the general xenophobia in BA (NOT all of Argentina; I've met plenty of 'macanudo' folks from places other than BA who were way more open than the people in BA).
My child comes home from school after a history class and starts in with the English invaders, blah blah blah... a whole lot of HATE. So I spend the rest of my day unteaching her that hate and OPINION that her teacher or the state-educational-curriculum is leaning to.
The folks here seem to be indoctrinated into this. Social circles form around these ideas. The intolerance, xenophobia, and ignorance is institutionalized and a modus-operandi for what it means to be Argentine. There are exceptions of course, but the further down the socio-economic latter you go, the more ignorance to external cultures there are.

And as far as what Argentines understand about the world outside of these borders; seems to me that they can sell the touristy locations in any country... that's the extent of their experience most of the time. Ask an Argie if he's ever been to Fargo ND, or Sioux Lookout, Ontario. Argies go to California, NY and Miami, never heard anyone I know mention any place outside of the norm.

Well, I assume they figured she was an illegal migrant worker when they would tell her to go back to Mexico, or shove her and push her grocery cart over while calling her a dirty Illegal Mexican. Maybe my assumption was wrong then. Those type of incidents never happened to her in Argentina, just in gold old southern Califrnia.

So just to piss off the racist neighbors she would invite her Mexican friends and have them set up their stereo and speakers and play salsa musIc and we all danced in the patio. She only knew how to dance Tarantella being Argentine/Italian.

Sorry, I read what you were saying as derogatory towards Mexican immigrants (illegal or otherwise). I see a lot of that from non-Mexican spanish-speaking immigrants in the US. I'm not saying your are doing that.

Like Camberiu.I am sensitive to comments about Paraguayans and even more so about "illegal Mexican immigrants."

And as far as what Argentines understand about the world outside of these borders; seems to me that they can sell the touristy locations in any country... that's the extent of their experience most of the time. Ask an Argie if he's ever been to Fargo ND, or Sioux Lookout, Ontario. Argies go to California, NY and Miami, never heard anyone I know mention any place outside of the norm.

When I tell Argentines I was born in North Dakota, they're clueless. When I tell them it was "Fargo," they understand.

I have a hard time with this one, not only for race but the general xenophobia in BA (NOT all of Argentina; I've met plenty of 'macanudo' folks from places other than BA who were way more open than the people in BA).
My child comes home from school after a history class and starts in with the English invaders, blah blah blah... a whole lot of HATE. So I spend the rest of my day unteaching her that hate and OPINION that her teacher or the state-educational-curriculum is leaning to.
The folks here seem to be indoctrinated into this. Social circles form around these ideas. The intolerance, xenophobia, and ignorance is institutionalized and a modus-operandi for what it means to be Argentine. There are exceptions of course, but the further down the socio-economic latter you go, the more ignorance to external cultures there are.

I also find that few who go to New York ever visit the museums or other cultural attractions or eat in really good restaurants. They tend to just shop and look at a few famous tourist attractions and eat fast food.

Now just change "Argentina" with "usa" and again will be true. All big and isolated countries are egocentric.

And about geography, most of Americans don't know my country exists...

Back