Racism Towards People From The States?

Sorry, I read what you were saying as derogatory towards Mexican immigrants (illegal or otherwise). I see a lot of that from non-Mexican spanish-speaking immigrants in the US. I'm not saying your are doing that.

Like Camberiu.I am sensitive to comments about Paraguayans and even more so about "illegal Mexican immigrants."

I understand how you could make that assumption. The thing is, it didn't bother my mother or me. She would just say vaffanculo. Miguel a friend of my mother, brought his family from Mexico, and he worked for her by helping her keep the five acres in order. He once commented to my mother that the neighbors were rude to him. You can only imagine why, seeing as how that area was full of migrant workers from Mexico getting paid dimes and nickels. My older sister and brother worked with them every summer picking apples and cherries to help the family earn money. Well, my mother was quite feisty and when she heard how the neighbors treated Miguel, she waited until they were sitting on their patio enjoying tea one afternoon and she decided to parade around our yard naked in front of them. I will never forget the neighbors' horrified exp<b></b>ressions. It was so funny. Good times.

When I tell Argentines I was born in North Dakota, they're clueless. When I tell them it was "Fargo," they understand.

I question whether Argentines should know all the US states. How many North Americans know all the provinces of Canada? Or of Australia? Out of curiosity, how many BAexpats know all the provinces in Buenos Aires?

Now just change "Argentina" with "usa" and again will be true. All big and isolated countries are egocentric.

And about geography, most of Americans don't know my country exists...
That's not exactly accurate, (and a typical defense) to point out the elephant-in-the-room. I find Argentines are very much like what-you-call Americans or yanquis.
This argument would not hold much water if you look at countries that are more multi-cultural, and at the same time not uber-patriotic.

case in point: Canada - really big... and for the most part, fairly isolated.
If you walk down the street at any given time, in any given town, you will hear at least a dozen different languages.
You will see turbans, asian eyes, red hair, afros and dreads... and it all seems to work. Go figure.
The point is, there you don't have the level of ignorance that you have here. After over a decade of living here, It's not my imagination, and there are times I have to lie about where I'm from.

I question whether Argentines should know all the US states. How many North Americans know all the provinces of Canada? Or of Australia? Out of curiosity, how many BAexpats know all the provinces in Buenos Aires?
I don't think that geography is the point here. I was trying to make a point about the exposure one gets to a foreign experience being limited by the usual-tourist-trappings. An Argetine visiting NY would not be the same as going to some small midwest town. You form different opinions about a place as opposed to taking the tour where the guide shows you some postcard places and you go back home with the same kind of story you would get from an American visiting BA and taking the BA tour. What does one learn from that?

Going outside of the norm show you the real soul of a place. For expats here, that would mean not living in Palermo or Recoleta :p

It's funny to me that when I was in Dominican Republic, I overheard Argies complaining about the breakfast they served... they complained daily how vulgar it was that there were not 'facturas' and cake for breakfast ..... ohhhhhh, que lastimaaaa! To me, it was about experiencing the novelty and richness of THAT culture, opening up to learning something new.

You know very well I meant Argentina. We can always count on you for a sarcastic comment. It wouldn't be a complete thread without one.

Not sarcastic, merely factual. I wonder how many Argentines can name all their provinces, and have visited them all (I can, and have).

That's true. And in other avatar photos, there is a long, milky white arm extending from behind the camera.

Eating lot of Vitamin A, C ; use of skin lightening products ; minimizing exposure to Sun, drinking lots of water dailyyy, exercising, and many other home remedies helped me lighten my skin color.

Had to do it ,only to escape the racial taunts of the wicked American expats who live here.

Eating lot of Vitamin A, C ; use of skin lightening products ; minimizing exposure to Sun, drinking kit of water dailyyy, exercising, and many other home remedies helped me lighten my skin color.

Had to do it ,only to escape the racial taunts of the wicked American expats who live here.

BTW, when you say Congo, which one exactly?

Back