Racism Towards People From The States?

Eating lot of Vitamin A, C ; use of skin lightening products ; minimizing exposure to Sun, drinking lots of water dailyyy, exercising, and many other home remedies helped me lighten my skin color.

Had to do it ,only to escape the racial taunts of the wicked American expats who live here.
In your imagination. So English speaking Yankees are taunting you in Buenos Aires? I'm calling BS on that one.

I don't think that geography is the point here. I was trying to make a point about the exposure one gets to a foreign experience being limited by the usual-tourist-trappings. An Argetine visiting NY would not be the same as going to some small midwest town. You form different opinions about a place as opposed to taking the tour where the guide shows you some postcard places and you go back home with the same kind of story you would get from an American visiting BA and taking the BA tour. What does one learn from that?

Going outside of the norm show you the real soul of a place. For expats here, that would mean not living in Palermo or Recoleta :p

It's funny to me that when I was in Dominican Republic, I overheard Argies complaining about the breakfast they served... they complained daily how vulgar it was that there were not 'facturas' and cake for breakfast ..... ohhhhhh, que lastimaaaa! To me, it was about experiencing the novelty and richness of THAT culture, opening up to learning something new.

I didn't want to say, that people from USA are worse, merely that in many ways are the same as people from Argentina. When I was working in hostel in Barcelona I was dealing with all kind of people, but I learnt, that even if you can some stereotypes true in general, you should never judge before you know person better. I met both Argentinian and USA people, that were educated, polite, curious and also Argentinians complaining there is no dulce de leche or mate and people from States about peanut butter...

Otherwise I'm coming from Slovenia and I can tell you, that there are Italians, that don't know it exists, even if we share border.. What I meant with big and isolated is, that there is difference between guy from omaha and me coming from country in the middle of Europe. And I'm not better or worse, just because I had to learn other cultures and languages out of necessity. And I met guy from omaha, that new far more than me about Spanish history and spoke perfect Spanish,but I met also some Americans, that didn't want to understand the world is not only States.

I just found your post about Argentinians funny, because you could really say the same about USA, especially nationalism part ;)

Otherwise I'm coming from Slovenia and I can tell you, that there are Italians, that don't know it exists, even if we share border..

That's even sadder considering some of these territories (and further below along the Adriatic coast) were Italian territories before WWII. But I do believe you because I know it is so sad and true. Even Italians going on holiday in Croatia don't know a damn about history.

My opinion is that there are two reasons for this ignorance:
  • Politically speaking, that was a miserable pitfall for the Italian left party who basically "sold" these lands, forcing people to leave, so they have all intention to keep that a dirty secret. Some of these people are still alive and a few of them are even fighting to get their homes back. But it is really something the left party doesn't want to talk about. They'd rather pump the Italian holocaust to switch attention somewhere else.
  • Educationally speaking, the Italian history program in school is SO centered around Roman history and the French revolution, that we barely study WWII. There is no time left for modern history - the last 2 history classes are about WWII and most students usually skip the last week of lessons. For example, I didn't even study the Vietnam war, it was just mentioned along with the Cold War.

I went to to Basovizza, and I cried. Not only for the cruelty that took place over there, but about the ignorance of Italians about it.

@serafina

I wouldn't worry, in Slovenia is very similar with education, not many bother to know the truth, least of all education system. Of course every Slovenian knows Italy, but they are ignorant about just the same, if it's not shopping or tourist attractions.. And yeah, European borders are full of sad history and people that do not care about it are tend to repeat mistakes.

The most what I learned is, that is good to know things, but there are always 2 sides. Keeping that in mind mixed with respect allow me to have good friends on both sides of the border. It's sad to see, how Europe is slowly dragging itself back in hate, when we were trying hard to build something sustainable for last decades...

Well, I assume they figured she was an illegal migrant worker when they would tell her to go back to Mexico, or shove her and push her grocery cart over while calling her a dirty Illegal Mexican. Maybe my assumption was wrong then. Those type of incidents never happened to her in Argentina, just in good old Southern California.

So just to piss off the racist neighbors she would invite her Mexican friends and have them set up their stereo and speakers and play salsa music and we all danced in the patio. She only knew how to dance Tarantella being Argentine/Italian.

I had an Italian friend show me a youtube video of the tarantella. Its incredible. For those who dont know its a dance of southern Italy where the young woman basically writhes around on the floor simulating being pleasured by the devil - surrounded by family and friends of course. My friend also told me that untill recently it was common when a girl first menstruates her bloody underwear be displayed outside the house to show that shes 'ready'...

The maximum racism, I have faced ever in my lifetime ( being a colored man from Congo) is from the American expats who live in BA.

Life is a circle.

Out of curiosity - what exactly qualifies as the racism you have encountered? Has anyone here actually met you in person and engaged in racist behavior? If so, please out them.

If you're talking about people correcting your spelling/grammar - I'm pretty sure that's a universal internet behavior and has happened to everyone and has zero to do with race.

ETA - Or perhaps you're just trolling. Carry on.

Out of curiosity - what exactly qualifies as the racism you have encountered? Has anyone here actually met you in person and engaged in racist behavior? If so, please out them.

If you're talking about people correcting your spelling/grammar - I'm pretty sure that's a universal internet behavior and has happened to everyone and has zero to do with race.

ETA - Or perhaps you're just trolling. Carry on.

C'mon gimme a break.

If i live in Capital Federal ( as I claim), i obviously come across many American expats in my daily day to day life. I don't have to fix a appointment with a alias from here to say what I am saying.

And No..I don't care what Joe, Sleslie and Janatango say about my English which I type here. As I know where I stand as far as that is concerned. They can continue doing that here for rest of their lives and I would not care less.

C'mon gimme a break.

If i live in Capital Federal ( as I claim), i obviously come across many American expats in my daily day to day life. I don't have to fix a appointment with a alias from here to say what I am saying.

And No..I don't care what Joe, Sleslie and Janatango say about my English which I type here. As I know where I stand as far as that is concerned. They can continue doing that here for rest of their lives and I would not care less.
People would have more confidence in your veracity if you gave some examples.

Back