Residency after marriage

Guys,

Where inside the DNI booklet, are details of your spouse/marriage recorded? or is it just recorded on their computer servers.

Captain Cheetah said:
@Ndcj & @Modulus

How long have they promised the DNI? I understand those going for permanent residency after marriage get it in 30 days as compared to those for temporary residency.

What do you mean by "legalized" transcript of marriage certificate.

They said five to six weeks last week.

Legalized documents are only needed if the country your document is created by is not a signatory to the Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement for Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents. If your country is not a signatory, you will need all your foreign documents legalized by the Argentine consulate in that country.

If your country is a signatory, you just need an apostille stamp on your document by that country's government. Once you arrive in Argentina, you will then need to get your documents translated by a sworn public translator, and then those translations will need a legalization from the Colegio de Traductores Publico.

If you need a translator, I used Alejandra at Into Words in Palermo (phone 4822-3030). She was super quick and the cheapest of anyone I could find.

Captain Cheetah said:
@Ndcj & @Modulus

How long have they promised the DNI? I understand those going for permanent residency after marriage get it in 30 days as compared to those for temporary residency.

What do you mean by "legalized" transcript of marriage certificate.

Sorry about being unclear, and the legalization part is probably irrelevant. We did an earlier translation of the Argentine marriage certificate _from_ Spanish in order to use it abroad, and the certificate + translation then went to what my translator described as "legalization" here.

They told me the DNI would arrive within 60 days.

ndcj said:
If you need a translator, I used Alejandra at Into Words in Palermo (phone 4822-3030). She was super quick and the cheapest of anyone I could find.

how much is she charging per page?

Hi everybody
This thread seems to be sound asleep but I have lots of questions on the topic so perhaps somebody could help out :)
I married my argentine husband three weeks ago in Sweden (where I am a citizen). We have lived here for the past two years and he recently got his permanent residency here. This however wont permit him to stay outside of Sweden for periods longer than a year and it will be at least two more years before he can apply for citizenship.
Now, I understand that I can get a permanent argentine residency as the spouse of an argentine citizen, but would it have limitations like the swedish residency, that you actually have to be in the country for most part of the year? Then it would not be very much point in starting the process for us as we wont go over there for any longer periods of time until my husband has his citizenship....
Second question is how we proceed to get our marriage recognised in Argentina, so we can get registered in the registro civil,have the libreta familiar, etc. Somebody told us that we would actually have to do the acto civil, and basically "get married again"? Or is it just a question of registering the marriage certificate? As we got married in a religious ceremony the marriage certificate pretty much just states that me and my husband got married in that church on this day, and I don't think that argentine officials would recognise that as legally binding, or am I wrong?
We are probably going to Argentina in about six months so I'm thinking that it might be a good idea to start investigating what would be needed for "el papeleo"... especially if we have to go through a civil ceremony there as well to be concidered married o_O

You could apply for citizenship in Argentina, and hold both Swedish and Argentine passport.

Residency would be easy to too. If you stay for 2-3 months in BA, you should be done with it. Once you have it, its permanent.

Citizenship case takes time, could take 1-2 years.

Ceviche said:
You could apply for citizenship in Argentina, and hold both Swedish and Argentine passport.

Residency would be easy to too. If you stay for 2-3 months in BA, you should be done with it. Once you have it, its permanent.

Citizenship case takes time, could take 1-2 years.

Thank you for your reply! I know that both Sweden and Argentina permit dual citizenship, no problems there. At the moment that is not something I'd go through with though since I'd have to be in Argentina for at least a couple of years, and it is a lot better "deal" for my husband to get a Swedish citizenship first. We might settle in Argentina in a couple of years though.

The question is if the residency demands that one actually have to be in the country or visit for some determined time each year? The swedish residency e.g however permanent it is will be cancelled if you stay abroad for more than a year. The only thing permanent about it is that once you have it - if you stay in the country - you dont have to renew it every two years. Is that the case with the argentine residency?? Or can you get it and then so to speak never go back to Argentina without it expiring?

Since I live here full time, I've never personally had to worry about the amount of time I spent outside of the country during my residency process.

However, I have a friend who is an engineer on a cruise ship, who works roughly 6 months out of the year, and is here only six months out of the year.

According to him, passed on from his lawyer, the requirement is that you must be here 181 days of the year. He has to schedule his work carefully, including travel time, to make sure he maintains that time. I would verify that if I were you, but I believe it to be true.

The comment below related to 2-3 months spent here and be done with the residency process is, in my opinion, overly optimistic. If everything went perfectly, you would end up with temporary residency approved within that period. That's if everything goes smooth as clockwork, which is not a great likelihood.

Permanent residency doesn't come, even for those marrying a citizen or resident, immediately. I married a resident (from Paraguay) and got my precaria the day I went to immigrations and filed. It took almost a year before my temporary residency was actually approved due to various little gotchas related to our marriage out fo the country and my wife's marital status on her DNI.

After two years comes the permanent residency.

BTW - the two years of temporary residency required starts when you receive your precaria, not when your temporary residency is approved. I got my final, permanent residency DNI as my first DNI - never did see a temporary residence DNI due to complications (99% idiocy on the part of immigrations, including lost files and changing my wife's DNI status to Married!). I got my permanent DNI almost 2 1/2 years after I started the process. I had to use my precaria to enter and leave the country during that period.

While you might be able to get away with getting the temporary residency and the DNI that goes along with it in 2-3 months, I don't know that leaving the country at that point and allowing your permanent residency to just "happen" by inertia of the process is very secure. Your entry/exit records are available at the time of the approval for permanent residency and I don't know that they won't look at that 181 day restriction and deny your residency.

Once you are granted permanent residency, I don't know if there are restrictions on the amount of time per year to stay here to maintain it.

As far as all that goes - you don't need residency until you actually live here anyway.

Back