Residency after marriage

Quick question: has anyone applied for their residency here by being married to an Argentine AND having a child here? I'm 7 months pregnant and our child will be born in Bs. As. end of March. I've heard it may be even easier if you've had a child born here. Will I still need a FBI background check? I have one now but I obtained it back in April 2010 and I've been back to the States since...

I appreciate anyone's input!

Having an Argentinian baby you can apply straight to citizenship. You only need your passport and the birth certificate. Regards

Bajo_cero2 said:
Having an Argentinian baby you can apply straight to citizenship. You only need your passport and the birth certificate. Regards

Perhaps that's why el kalifornicator wrote this:

el kaliforniano... said:
look i can explain it all to you...but i cant do it here...could you imagine me trying to explain to you my personal situation and all that i have gone through here...since 2004...i mean its been nucking futs...

He just doesn't want to tell us he uk fupped.:p

Bajo_cero2 said:

Thanks so much for this information! Would I make an appointment with http://www.migraciones.gov.ar? I wonder if I can have dual citizenship with The States & Argentina. I definitely don't want to loose my U.S. citizenship.

One more question: my tourist visa expires next week and I honestly don't want to take another trip to Colonia. If I let it expire would it harm me getting my citizenship or residency? Would I still need to pay a fine?

Thanks for your help!

Debora said:
Thanks so much for this information! Would I make an appointment with http://www.migraciones.gov.ar? I wonder if I can have dual citizenship with The States & Argentina. I definitely don't want to loose my U.S. citizenship.

One more question: my tourist visa expires next week and I honestly don't want to take another trip to Colonia. If I let it expire would it harm me getting my citizenship or residency? Would I still need to pay a fine?

Thanks for your help!

Before someone gives you some dead or unofficial URL / Web Page.:confused:

http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship.
Don’t tell any US official you want to give up your citizenship ever.
Remember one thing... you will probably owe taxes in two countries, thanks we need the money. :mad:

Debora said:

Thanks for your help!

Debora, regarding citizenship, you should make an appointment with me. I send you a PM.
You can have dual citizenship.
It makes no sense to travel to Uruguay.
Regards

Hey all,

I have a quick question about getting permanent residency after marriage. I recently got married on Feb. 14, and will make an appointment with migraciones to get my permanent residency as soon as all of my paperwork arrives from the U.S. The only problem is that my tourist visa will expire Feb. 27, and I'm afraid I won't have all of papers in order until some time in March. Will having an expired tourist visa make any difference when applying for my permanent residency since I am already married?
Thanks!

Do migraciones keep the original birth & marriage certificates, or is it possible to get them back?

To answer my own question a couple of days later after trying, the answer is yes, they give them back if you bring photocopies. In and out in less than an hour, not bad!

@Debora:
1. I have a argentine wife plus kids, one born here.
Yesterday, the Migraciones guys (whatever happened to Argentine bureaucracy! Young, friendly and dynamic guys in their mid-20-to-30s!) didn't even look at the kid's birth certificate or DNI. The Argentine marriage certificate was all they looked at. "And the kid??" I asked. "No, we don't need it."

2. I am pretty sure that the "antecedentes penales"/background check from your home country is non-negotiable. Even with my Argentine family, they wouldn't touch my papers the first time I went, because I didn't have the foreign background check.

@ndjc:
They did not keep the marriage certificate, but I needed to bring a regular photocopy of all pages.

If it is of any interest, this is the pile I brought yesterday and breezed through (maybe I overkilled, but at least it worked!):

-One passport photo (anyone want another? I have 5 left)
-Passport with valid entry stamp
-Legalized (here in BsAs) translation of my passport
-Regular photocopy of all pages of passport (even blank ones, which were thrown away)
-Legalized transcript of marriage certificate
-Regular photocopy of all pages of the marriage certificate
-My wife's DNI
-Regular photocopies of all pages of my wife's DNI
-Antecedentes penales (from the Piedras 115 office! A breeze!)
-Antecedentes penales from home country legalized abroad, apostille translated and legalized here
-Birth certificate with apostille but w/o local legalization (birth certificate didn't seem essential, I was told it was not needed)
-Utilities bill in my name, could apparently be substituted for a Certificado de domicilio, which should be easy to obtain at your local police precinct.

Good luck!

@Ndcj & @Modulus

How long have they promised the DNI? I understand those going for permanent residency after marriage get it in 30 days as compared to those for temporary residency.

What do you mean by "legalized" transcript of marriage certificate.

Back