Restrictions on imported foods and human rights

If you want Matzo, go to Once.

My roommate just brought back a Thai curry past made in Thailand. Same for the Thai fish sauce.

Stuff is imported.

FOLLOWING THE BARRIO CHINO Purchases:

He bought Dame Mani and the stuff is runny as all hell. It's like half the peanuts have been replaced with oil. Maybe it's "authentic", or maybe it has filler, but as recently as 45 days ago my Dame Mani was a fairly decent imitation of American peanut butter dreck. What happened?!?

Napoleon said:
He bought Dame Mani and the stuff is runny as all hell. It's like half the peanuts have been replaced with oil. Maybe it's "authentic", or maybe it has filler, but as recently as 45 days ago my Dame Mani was a fairly decent imitation of American peanut butter dreck. What happened?!?

I went to a local chinese shop in congreso (there are 2 that have some imported stuff) and they had dame mani but it seems the oil and the peanut butter had separated, possibly due to the heat?

I bought one that hadn't separated.

You can buy motza at Disco, it is made in Argentina and tastes great.
Nancy

Well, last time I saw matzo it was hellishly expensive. What about the Indian foods that are now part of my British heritage, where are my poppadums and curry paste? I'm starving on this diet of cheap coffee, rice cakes and dulce de leche and my teeth are aching.
Yes, obviously the medicines is far more important, that's a whole separate issue. I was just having a self-indulgent whinge.
Btw, I bought a new batch of damemani. Different again, crunchier than the last batch but with tinier pieces and way too much salt. No quality control but that at least is not a surprise...

Several weeks ago I went to Dietetica Viamonte for my Dame Mani and all of the in-stock supply had separated. Last weekend I went to Barrio Chino and picked up three jars, no separation - and there was a large stock on hand. Peanut butter must never be stored in hot areas; warehouses here tend to have no air-conditioning, just as mini-mercados here tend turn off their refrigeration and air-cooling systems at night. Beware of perishable food products at mini-mercados in BA during warm months.

CarverFan said:
Well, last time I saw matzo it was hellishly expensive. What about the Indian foods that are now part of my British heritage, where are my poppadums and curry paste? I'm starving on this diet of cheap coffee, rice cakes and dulce de leche and my teeth are aching.
Yes, obviously the medicines is far more important, that's a whole separate issue. I was just having a self-indulgent whinge.
Btw, I bought a new batch of damemani. Different again, crunchier than the last batch but with tinier pieces and way too much salt. No quality control but that at least is not a surprise...

The motza is the same price I pay in Seattle, "hellishly expensive". $10 for a large box.
Nancy

I like creamy peanut butter, and had the same experience with Dame Mani creamy, but if you get Dami Mani crunchy you will find it acceptable, not runny, and actually creamy.

Napoleon said:
If you want Matzo, go to Once.

My roommate just brought back a Thai curry past made in Thailand. Same for the Thai fish sauce.

Stuff is imported.

FOLLOWING THE BARRIO CHINO Purchases:

At Coto, matzo is 43 pesos for a small box and 60 for a large. I guess you mean 10 dollars. Obviously not in the cracker price range...

I do not care much about religion since I think it is just a fraud, but I do see the point of human rights. Although I _personally_ am not interested, the Arg Govt is restricting right not only for religious groups, but too also to people who may NEED certain foods, food supplements, replacement, medications etc.

IMHO, with the import restriction they did EXACTLY the most stupid decision they could do and cross the line between a free society and a not-so-free over controlled society which may result (or being a soon symptom of) governmental structures like we see in Venezuala or Russia and which hardly can be called a Democracy anymore.

Back