Restrictions on imported foods and human rights

Argentina has become what is known as a democratic autocracy. If things continue as they are, it will become, once again, a full-fledged autocracy. It seems to be headed in that direction as I write this...

MrHarper said:
and cross the line between a free society and a not-so-free over controlled society which may result (or being a soon symptom of) governmental structures like we see in Venezuala or Russia and which hardly can be called a Democracy anymore.

When the United States uses import quotas and tariffs to protect domestic farmers it is a clever government policy. When somebody else does the same thing it is "a threat to Democracy".

Buenos Aires jewish population is about 250,000. Why these products are not produced locally?

henryb said:
When the United States uses import quotas and tariffs to protect domestic farmers it is a clever government policy. When somebody else does the same thing it is "a threat to Democracy".

Well, I do not say that the politics of the US is any better. To be honest, I do not know too much about what they do or not, but I am convinced that artificial market limitations restrict freedom.

henryb said:

Ah yes, another irregular verb in English

My country takes sensible measures in the interest of its citizens
Your country is unreasonably protectionist
Their country is just apeshit crazy so lets go nuke 'em before the infection spreads any further

henryb said:
Buenos Aires jewish population is about 250,000. Why these products are not produced locally?

There are enough people who float in and out of BAExpats who call themselves entrepreneurs: well there's something to go and entrepren.

I have a friend who is an importer. Apparently aduana is having a field day charging outrageous amounts of bribes to release the few imports that are getting in these days. He told me a story today about a shipment he had coming in, all the paperwork is done/legal/verified. The customs agent this week told him that unless he hands him 10K - USD - in cash - that shipment will not be released.

We have been trying to ship 2 horses to the US for the last 3 weeks. No cargo planes are coming here b/c there literally is nothing cargo-wise coming into Argentina. So despite having clients waiting for their horses, we can't get them out b/c there are no planes.

This whole thing is a mess.

henryb said:

The difference is whether the country can supply the goods or not. :p I've never gone without in the US due to import controls (except for maybe meat and fish products from Spain, but that's another story!)

Argentine industry is lacking in a lot of areas... especially when it comes to electronics and appliances - not to mention surgical equipment and drugs. It's not easy to simply "produce locally"... you'll find you either lack the quality raw ingredients or the machinery to do it. :rolleyes:

CarverFan said:
As a British jew, marmite and matzo are part of my culture. Surely preventing imports of foods pertaining to different cultures goes against human rights. Isn't there an Argentine ley that could be cited against this type of racially-directed ban?
As a side-note, how come the Chinese are still importing??
There is a large jewish community in BsAs. I assume they can tell you where to buy locally produced matze, etc.

CarverFan said:
Well, last time I saw matzo it was hellishly expensive. What about the Indian foods that are now part of my British heritage, where are my poppadums and curry paste? I'm starving on this diet of cheap coffee, rice cakes and dulce de leche and my teeth are aching.
Yes, obviously the medicines is far more important, that's a whole separate issue. I was just having a self-indulgent whinge.

Honestly, it's a valid complaint, and a big part of the reason why I just cancelled my return flight to BA (originally scheduled for April, after a 3-month respite in civilization.) Finally being well-fed again (and still solvent) made me realize how much my spartan Argentine diet was affecting my mood -- life's too short to be unable to buy a damn chocolate bar or pick up some Thai for dinner. Eating well is one of the most basic pleasures in life, and BA is already a struggle on so many levels that taking away the ability to find/afford good food just adds insult to injury. And I'm not even being high-maintenance here; I'm talking about basic essentials such as good-quality coffee, dark chocolate, non-GMO soy or hormone-free dairy, seafood, olive oil, good bread. As prices crept higher and higher, I got crankier and crankier (and hungrier and hungrier), cutting things out of my diet until I was basically living on toast, lentils, brown rice, and whatever was cheapest at the verduleria that week. Now 250 grams of Italian coffee runs me about 3 euro, 200 grams of dark Belgian chocolate (with whole nuts) is less than 2, I can actually afford almonds again (imported from USA, and they still cost less than HALF than in BA) and I'm blissfully swimming in cheese from every country in Europe. When I think about what Argentines and all of you lovely people are forced to pay for the same simple pleasures, it's just... flames. Flames, on the side of my face...

steveinbsas said:
Is Judiasm a race or a religion?

If it's a race what color do you have to be?

Is there actually a law or a decree that prohibits the importation of "Jewish" food?

Is there a biblical prohibition of the production of marmite and matzo in Argentina?

If thers isn't, why can they be made here?
THANK YOU! is it;) a race? or a religion.....

Here I have to order Damemani from the company direct (no stock in my barrio), bacon from the bacon guy, tortillas from Pancho Villa, I don't have time to source anything else like matzo, it was just an example anyway. No tofu or soy milk in my area, not so worried about myself, but my kids. The 3 year old loses weight here as he gets tired of pasta and cheese sandwiches. In my barrio, there's not even a frozen pizza! No, I don't have time to cook 3 meals from scratch, though I often have to...

Back