Rip-Off German Hospital

I am surprised at that price. Are US health care prices coming to Argentina?
Please get insurance.

jp, it was our own dog, she's never snapped at the kids before. I was only a couple of metres away, I think he picked up something of hers, maybe her bone....it happened in a second.

So sorry to hear that. My daughter is around the same age and it can be very difficult to manage the unpredictable nature of toddlers and animals. I hope your son makes a speedy recovery and isn't too affected by the incident.

Why? Because I am practical?
I have been around dogs all my life ( Large ones for pig hunting too).
Any dog that shows aggression towards a kids needs to be taken out, period.
I am still not sure why nearly every apartment needs a dog here in the city. i don't consider it humane to keep a Large dog in apartments here.

Why? Because I am practical?
I have been around dogs all my life ( Large ones for pig hunting too).
Any dog that shows aggression towards a kids needs to be taken out, period.
I am still not sure why nearly every apartment needs a dog here in the city. i don't consider it humane to keep a Large dog in apartments here.

The dog in question may not have been showing aggression; rather, it may have been defending itself. The child is probably not to blame, but the parents may be for not paying attention.

Some large dogs do well in apartments. My malamute has access to the backyard, where he enjoys chasing squirrels, but he often prefers to come indoors and sleeps for hours on end.

We've had our dog 6 years, she's always been sweet natured and has never bitten the kids (5 & 2) before. I wouldn't dream of putting her down! I was sweeping the yard a couple of metres away from them at the time but it only took a second.

I believe the dog was being territorial with its bone/toy and responded with aggression. Very common response in dogs who otherwise seem like sweetie pies I had an Italian greyhound who had the same aggression problem if you approached him in his bed...the dog feels he's the pack leader and responds with aggression to his possessions being invaded....your pet can be trained out of this. He just needs to know that you are the dominant dog, not him. Having said that though, it is essential that you begin training him, because this type of aggression could continue randomly if he believes he's pack leader...please find a qualified dog trainer to help you. Probably your vet could help you find someone. Start obedience classes with him or training him in basics every day so he begins to look up to you. If he's a small dog learn how to give a dominance down response if he growls at you. If he's big you will need a training collar and to learn how to correct him. Cesar Milan has a useful website. The best of luck!

I'm sorry to hear this happened to your son, but I must say, I'm not surprised, and you shouldn't be either for the cost.

Now if you didn't know that Hospital Aleman was a private hospital I'd maybe feel bad for your wallet, but if you chose
private health care over the readily available and *no out of pocket cost* public healthcare that exists here in Argentina
then I must say that it's rather silly to complain about it.

I have refused so far to pay for private healthcare here in Argentina, and I've only paid for my medication when needed
or OTC's like Claritin. I've experienced nothing but 1st rate treatment here in Buenos Aires, and even on occasion have
been lucky enough to have rather fluent English doctors. Not only are they helpful, caring and polite, they are 100%
dedicated to wellbeing over profit since they work for the government, and don't rake in the hundreds of thousands of
pesos like the doctors at Hospital Aleman or Swiss Medical.

My employer has health insurance, and I may use it for medication discounts, but I trust the public hospitals here, and
can only sing their praises. Are they dirty looking/dilapidated? Yes. Are they underfunded? Yes. But do they provide
healthcare service equal to that which I experienced in Canada? Hell yes.

All in all my suggestion is to either participate in a premium program offered by one of the private healthcare groups,
should you be reluctant to use the public hospitals/doctors for some strange reason, or accept that you will pay
1000s of pesos for simple procedures like stitches, either way good luck!

I'm sorry to hear this happened to your son, but I must say, I'm not surprised, and you shouldn't be either for the cost.

Now if you didn't know that Hospital Aleman was a private hospital I'd maybe feel bad for your wallet, but if you chose
private health care over the readily available and *no out of pocket cost* public healthcare that exists here in Argentina
then I must say that it's rather silly to complain about it.

I have refused so far to pay for private healthcare here in Argentina, and I've only paid for my medication when needed
or OTC's like Claritin. I've experienced nothing but 1st rate treatment here in Buenos Aires, and even on occasion have
been lucky enough to have rather fluent English doctors. Not only are they helpful, caring and polite, they are 100%
dedicated to wellbeing over profit since they work for the government, and don't rake in the hundreds of thousands of
pesos like the doctors at Hospital Aleman or Swiss Medical.

My employer has health insurance, and I may use it for medication discounts, but I trust the public hospitals here, and
can only sing their praises. Are they dirty looking/dilapidated? Yes. Are they underfunded? Yes. But do they provide
healthcare service equal to that which I experienced in Canada? Hell yes.

All in all my suggestion is to either participate in a premium program offered by one of the private healthcare groups,
should you be reluctant to use the public hospitals/doctors for some strange reason, or accept that you will pay
1000s of pesos for simple procedures like stitches, either way good luck!

I think you have a good point but you're missing something. While you may be right about public healthcare and all, I'm quite sure he wanted to make sure that every step to minimize scarring was taken. Considering how busy public hospitals must be (I assume), it was only natural to go to a private hospital. Not only was it his son and face injuries bleed a lot and are scary, I think public hospitals would stitch up but how would you even expect to be able to demand that they use complex techniques to prevent a nasty scar? I'm sure that if it had been something less critical or something for him he may have considered your approach. On top of that, when walk into a private hospital, they don't discuss the pricing with you beforehand, they just slap you with the Bill. I think he has the right to complain too, since he was charged 3000 pesos for an OR, even if the stitches can be easily done in a regular exam room.

Back