Roast Potatoes

Yes but you're not going to find anything more than the papa andina that you can get a big supermarkets.

The selection is truly underwhelming and the prices overwhelming. The pescaderias and carnecerias that everyone raves about are a huge disappointment as well. You'd be better served by going to the mercado de juramento.

When I've been to Mercado del Progreso, the diversity of produce has been much greater than at supermarkets.

When I've been to Mercado del Progreso, the diversity of produce has been much greater than at supermarkets.
The next time you're visiting BA you should make use of this forum. There is a lot of in depth and up to date information for visitors provided by knowledgeable folks who live here that you would obviously never find in guide books. I'm sure if you asked, one of the expats could even show you around the city.

Again, if you're going to travel to find variety in papas it would be best to go to Mercado Central or Liniers - the couple of andean varieties and the papa morada in mercado del progreso can be found anyway in better verdulerias and supermarkets.

Again, if you're going to travel to find variety in papas it would be best to go to Mercado Central or Liniers - the couple of andean varieties and the papa morada in mercado del progreso can be found anyway in better verdulerias and supermarkets.

Actually, it would be best to go to Salta or Jujuy, but they're not Subte-accessible either.

Nope, that would mean many hours in preparation and travel by micro or by air, not to mention the cost, compared to the few hours and few pesos of a trip by train or colectivo - all for a kilo of spuds? I'm assuming the OP is not a child and is capable of taking buses and trains on his own.

Thanks to everyone for their replies, I should have probably explained more before posting and apologies for the delay!

I've been over at Christmas time before. Last time (2 years ago) I took crackers, christmas pudding, salt and vinegar crips, Roses, Quality Street, Pimms etc with me - all were a big hit. Especially the salt and vinegar kettle chips and Pimms!

My girlfriend is an Argie and currently lives with me in London, she sends photos back to her family of the food I've cooked for her and this is usually roast dinner with beef/lamb/chicken/pork etc.

The last time I was there, I took my shirt off to climb in the pool, my girlfriends sister looked at me horrified and disappeared into the house. 10 minutes later she came out with the factor 50 which she proudly stated was "for Argie babies and it seems Englishmen".

They requested that I cook it for them next time I go, however I decided that it would be too hot to do a full blown roast. However, roast potatoes seemed like an ideal compromise. Last time they cooked a turkey on the parilla and I couldn't get my head around the lack of warm potatoes!

Anyway, I've tried to answer most of the posts you lot made.

40c and hot roast potatoes isn't a nice combo! Not sure they are going to thank you for that.

It's a request from them!

I would bring some perfume and cologne for your girlfriend's family. Argentines don't like foreign food and prefer to eat what they already know. They don't like to explore or be creative with dishes.

How many Argentines do you know? They're certainly different to my girlfriends friends and family. We've had many of my gfs friends to stay in England and most have loved trying different foods. With all of them (10 in total) we've been for an Indian - 2 ate jalfrezi without spontaneously combusting!

I've generally found them to be interested to try new foods - but you're right they would love perfume.

Even putting pepper on food is considered 'very spicy' by many ^^

*sighs*

You can go to Mumbai in Palermo and ask for the curry "Indian Hot" - I got a very good chicken jalfrezi there.

Christas is typically 38-42 degrees and very humid. If you're lucky, Christmas will be outside on a terrace or preferably in someone's garden. Christmas Eve begins around 8pm while the sun is still up and it's roasting hot. Despite this, they still have loads of cooked meat. However sides (including the meat sides, like vitel thone) tend to be all cold. Roast potatoes english style are a lovely idea but probably not the time of year for it! What I did do one year which people enjoyed, but which you definitely need good fridge access as it can't stay out in the heat a moment, is trifle. In fact I've actually thought maybe to make an ice cream trifle one year. Much more appropriate to the weather. Maybe go for an Eton mess. Argentines have a very sweet tooth, and with the heat of Christmas I'd look towards doing either a savory cold dish (they love their 1970s Russian Potato Salad complete with canned peas here, you could try doing an actual modern potato salad and see if it's accepted! Alternative would be an update to that other 70s classic, shredded carrot and raisins salad...) or go for a cold dessert. Do not think English christmas, though they do like a horribly dry fruitcake here as well. Maybe have a look through some Australian recipe sites for some inspiration, their menu will be more weather appropriate!

Thank you for the tips :)

I'll definitely try the Eton Mess - that's a great idea.

I don't see why roast potatoes should be unwelcome at an asado, even in summer. They're certainly superior to papas fritas or any other potato preparation that Argentines do.

Actually, I don't mind pastel de papas.

Agreed!!!

By the way, it's not that the meal itself is any lighter than a Christmas dinner in the northern hemisphere -- it's very heavy actually! It's just that the sides do tend to be cold. Christmas lunch also tends to be more cold offerings (or at least it is that way with our family -- since Christmas Eve dinner doesn't usually end until around 330 / 4 a.m., getting up to have the fire going by 10 or 11 a.m. in order to do a Christmas lunch at around 1 ish is not generally appealing -- so the lunch is usually cold offerings.

Can i suggest something? If you want to bring a true touch of Britain to the Christmas table, why not some Christmas crackers? We don't have them here, they're lightweight, quite easy to pack, bring something genuinely different and offer a conversation starter, as well as some awkward translations of terrible jokes (I'm assuming the british ones, like the canadian ones, come with the requisite terrible joke/pun/fortune along with some odd toy and a paper hat?) . Argentines are big fans of fancy dress as well so you may well convince them all into their paper crowns.

I took these over and you're correct - crackers were a massive hit. My girlfriends sisters had read about them in Harry Potter books but weren't sure what they were.

They happily put the hats on and tried to get the jokes!

If your from the uk , ive been here for 14 years the potatos they have here , are the only ones we serve to pigs back home..i go to a super and choose between 9 to 12 different spuds. back in the uk
. but you can adapt.. i have Argies they think my roasts are unbeatable you steam take the babies out dont boil leave em until the steam evaporates season then flake the babys with a fork cook for 20 mins on high them smash them a bit with a spoon roast on high for another 35 mins , they end up crispy ........its ok but im English who the hell would want to eat roast SPUDS at xmas here its 40 c . well only if you are frozen down with air conditioning!!!!!...... look research, the salads they love em, invest in that crunchy thing, different ingredients, they love salads but they dont know how do do it point.. they eat lettuce tomato and onion that my grandmother said came from the war years, you will be on a winner ...cool salads thats the winner or bring a bread maker, with the flour they will kiss you forever..

Thanks - my girlfriend when she first moved here told me she felt useless because she never knew which potato/flour/etc she needed to buy.

Actually, it would be best to go to Salta or Jujuy, but they're not Subte-accessible either.

Thanks

Nope, that would mean many hours in preparation and travel by micro or by air, not to mention the cost, compared to the few hours and few pesos of a trip by train or colectivo - all for a kilo of spuds? I'm assuming the OP is not a child and is capable of taking buses and trains on his own.

I'm somewhat capable of those things! I generally can't be trusted so I'll probably ask my girlfriend to drive.

Buy a potato or 4-(I use the muddy ones in the supermarket) peel it, cut it into halves or three depending on the size you want for the roastie, then par boil it. In the mean time fill a baking tray full of oil- put it in the oven until it is superhot, then put in the par boiled potatoes, and coat them in the hot oil and cook until crisp. you may need to re coat the potatoes in the hot oil after 20 mins depending on how they are looking. The key is super hot oil. My arg boyfriend loves a good roastie and gravy.

Excellent recipe but Must use Russet red potatoes and animal lard instead of oil for excellency, and a crisp tasty potatoes... :cool:

Back