Roast Potatoes

Buy a potato or 4-(I use the muddy ones in the supermarket) peel it, cut it into halves or three depending on the size you want for the roastie, then par boil it. In the mean time fill a baking tray full of oil- put it in the oven until it is superhot, then put in the par boiled potatoes, and coat them in the hot oil and cook until crisp. you may need to re coat the potatoes in the hot oil after 20 mins depending on how they are looking. The key is super hot oil. My arg boyfriend loves a good roastie and gravy.

If your from the uk , ive been here for 14 years the potatos they have here , are the only ones we serve to pigs back home..i go to a super and choose between 9 to 12 different spuds. back in the uk
. but you can adapt.. i have Argies they think my roasts are unbeatable you steam take the babies out dont boil leave em until the steam evaporates season then flake the babys with a fork cook for 20 mins on high them smash them a bit with a spoon roast on high for another 35 mins , they end up crispy ........its ok but im English who the hell would want to eat roast SPUDS at xmas here its 40 c . well only if you are frozen down with air conditioning!!!!!...... look research, the salads they love em, invest in that crunchy thing, different ingredients, they love salads but they dont know how do do it point.. they eat lettuce tomato and onion that my grandmother said came from the war years, you will be on a winner ...cool salads thats the winner or bring a bread maker, with the flour they will kiss you forever..

If your from the uk , ive been here for 14 years the potatos they have here , are the only ones we serve to pigs back home..i go to a super and choose between 9 to 12 different spuds. back in the uk
. but you can adapt.. i have Argies they think my roasts are unbeatable you steam take the babies out dont boil leave em until the steam evaporates season then flake the babys with a fork cook for 20 mins on high them smash them a bit with a spoon roast on high for another 35 mins , they end up crispy ........its ok but im English who the hell would want to eat roast SPUDS at xmas here its 40 c . well only if you are frozen down with air conditioning!!!!!...... look research, the salads they love em, invest in that crunchy thing, different ingredients, they love salads but they dont know how do do it point.. they eat lettuce tomato and onion that my grandmother said came from the war years, you will be on a winner ...cool salads thats the winner or bring a bread maker, with the flour they will kiss you forever..

If you go to the http://mercadodelprogreso.com/1/ in Caballito, you may find a better selection of spuds.

Thanks always a learning curve here i mean Argentina... Have not heard of this place, will try it out

There used to be markets like this in every barrio, but this is one of few that remain. When I first came in the 1980s, there was one in the 1600 block of Corrientes where the Paseo La Plaza now is. Unfortunate it's no longer there, in my opinion.

Perhaps, but Mercado del Progreso is easily accessible by Subte.

Yes but you're not going to find anything more than the papa andina that you can get a big supermarkets.

The selection is truly underwhelming and the prices overwhelming. The pescaderias and carnecerias that everyone raves about are a huge disappointment as well. You'd be better served by going to the mercado de juramento.

Yep, better to go to Liniers - apart from the dirty ones and the clean ones you'll only find papa morada and perhaps one or two andean varieties in Caballito (all with the lady who has the papa monopoly down the back - no verduleria in mercado del progreso sells papas).

Back