Robbed And In Need!

I did file a police report, but doesn't seem like much is going to come out of it... not sure of what to do next...

Sounds very scary. I'm sure you're thinking about it all the time. It may help you work through some of the anxiety if you take small steps to improve your immediate situation, such as...

*As mentioned before, make sure you have canceled the stolen cards, and contact the embassy.
*Don't be afraid to reach out to friends/family for emotional and other support.
*Get replacement cards underway asap - it's a pain here to be without them
*If you have means and wish to do so, you might consider moving to a different area. Staying where you are can be an option if you want to prove something to yourself, but really the immediate surroundings may just keep reminding you of the incident. If you take a copy of the police report to your landlord, hopefully they will be understanding about the situation and release you from any lease you may have.

I'm very sorry to hear you had such a terrible experience and it must feel like BA is a very dangerous place indeed. Robberies do occasionally happen here, but your case is rather on the extreme side. So just in case you are afraid to step out the front door about now, know that this is not an everyday occurrence.

The baexpat community is a great resource. Don't be shy to reach out and ask for advice if you are facing difficulties with all this.

I believe the OP meant, being pushed out the door "Blind Folded' then He/She took the blindfold off the face and ran home!

I didn't think she ran home blindfolded; thanks... ;)
Besides if she knows what they look like & knows where they live why the blindfold ???
I don't get it.

To nshyi0321, I feel very upset that this incident has happened to you. Iam sure that you were planning to have a great vacation/tourism experience in Bs As but very angry sad and feel very sorry to read of your terrifying accident in a foreign land. But out of bad news, a good news that you are safe back to your home. Next time call a radio taxi instead of getting to wait early in the morning in a side walk of a foreign city. BTW, are you an American or Au,Nz, European citizen.? Apparently you are not from New york's Manhattan resident.? These questions due to just curiosity. Iam very glad to hear that you are free of bodily harm/injury. Needless to say but next time, survey your surroundings for anything,any person approaching you,extra caution always helps you in such notorious scam city as Buenos Aires, Lima, caracas, etc..

Thank you for taking time to write such a nice message. I am an American. It was a traumatic experience and a great lesson learned.

They finally blindfolded me, threw me out of the warehouse, and I ran home.

So what happened with your passport ... ?
You should cancelled the CC.
Weird story,... They threw you out blindfolded ???
I don't get it ...

You should contact your Embassy,... since you know where criminals live...
They have ways of working with the local Police, you should at least get your stuff back.

Yes, I took off the blindfold before running home. I did contact the US Embassy, and they directed me to the Public Defense for Tourists. From there I'm not sure what happened, but when I returned to the police station, they no longer seemed very interested in helping me. I thought it was a no brainer that since I know EXACTLY where they live and EXACTLY what they look like, it'd be an easy case, but I guess I'm wrong? No one from the police station has contacted me since then... Any suggestions on what I should do next?

I just want to thank everyone for taking your time to write such helpful information and encouraging words. It's been nice to be surrounded by family and friends, but knowing that there are people who I have never met that are genuinely concerned about me is giving me the confidence to restart my journey.

I lost my laptop and phone to the robbers, does anyone have any suggestions on where to get a Macbook and phone for decent price? Or does anyone have an used Macbook or iPhone they would like to sell to me?

Is the Op, a 'he' or 'she'?

Really sorry to hear about yr experience, that too in Palemo hollywood

Please do not be afraid to reach the BA expat ommunity for advise and suggestions. such a thing can happen to anyone.

I have been attacked too 1-2 times in last 5-8 months, but I always beat them up . But it may not always be the case. Everyone be cautious.

Especially when going to the airport, order a radio taxi or a remi etc, what ever suits yr budget.

Do not carry yr credit cards if not required.

Do not carry yr passport when not required.

mercadolibre.com.ar is generally a good starting point for buying. Many of the sellers have a storefront, and if you look at their item photos and description, you can often find a business name that you can google to contact them directly.

Galleria Jardin on calle Florida has fairly competitive prices for electronics - you might find something there if you're in a hurry.

Is the Op, a 'he' or 'she'?

Really sorry to hear about yr experience, that too in Palemo hollywood

Please do not be afraid to reach the BA expat ommunity for advise and suggestions. such a thing can happen to anyone.

I have been attacked too 1-2 times in last 5-8 months, but I always beat them up . But it may not always be the case. Everyone be cautious.

Especially when going to the airport, order a radio taxi or a remi etc, what ever suits yr budget.

Do not carry yr credit cards if not required.

Do not carry yr passport when not required.

I'm a she. I guess a 26 year old girl should never wait for a cab by herself at 6 in the morning.

I tried to PM you but guess you are not set up yet. I don't want it to seem as though I want to take advantage of your situation and I am really sorry to hear what happened. You did ask so here is what I was trying to write you:

Hi nshy0321,

Sorry about your experience.

I have a MacBook Pro and an iPhone 4S for sale. They are in the classified part of the forum. I can give you a good price on the 2 if you are interested.

MacBook Pro 7,1 2.66ghz, 8gig ram - NOW $1,195US
500gig solid state hard drive (wicked fast),
Kept in plastic hard case, perfect condition, still on Apple Care Warrantee

iPhone: white 4s, 16 gig, unlocked (I'm using a Personel chip) with case - $495US

iPhone: black 4s, 32 gig, unlocked (I'm using a Personel chip -) $595US

All are in perfect condition. If you are interested come see them and make me an offer. Has to happen this week or I'm gone.

Tom
15 6980 4520

I just want to thank everyone for taking your time to write such helpful information and encouraging words. It's been nice to be surrounded by family and friends, but knowing that there are people who I have never met that are genuinely concerned about me is giving me the confidence to restart my journey.

I lost my laptop and phone to the robbers, does anyone have any suggestions on where to get a Macbook and phone for decent price? Or does anyone have an used Macbook or iPhone they would like to sell to me?

Emergencies such as this are why countries should not make it difficult to bring money in. I was in Brazil and HSBC wouldn´t give me money until I returned to Argentina to change my pass code. Brazil wouldn´t allow non-residents to receive money via Western Union. I was lucky that a kind prostitute leant me money so I could catch a bus to the airport and return to Argentina.

Back