Robbed And In Need!

Yesterday, my guests were nearly robbed. They were squirted with fake bird poo, but fortunately we had been discussing this trick the day before plus they had heard about it. So they moved away. That's the second time it's happened to one of my guests. There have been another two successful crimes on my guests, one had his phone and 2 pairs of sunglasses taken, the other her crucifix snatched off her throat, while a third guest found someone else's hand in his pocket and managed to save losing his camera. The city is rife with crime, I feel sad that I have to warn my guests when they arrive, and I always feel a little bit guilty of not warning them enough when they are robbed....

Can't believe it, my poor guests were squirted with fake bird poo again today. That's twice in 24 hours, I would like to make a joke, like "there's some crazy shit going on in this city" but it really is getting beyond a joke.....shame on you, Argentina!!!!!

That a very bad condemnation of the police that they are not interested in a kidnapping incident - if the incident is true.

I must be missing a piece of this story. Contrary to what people say I've found the police here to be not only professional but actually aggressive in going after criminals. I have friends who are police officers. In this case you know where they live. If they've stolen from you then they've stolen from other people and the police do want to catch these people.

When I first read this story I felt something didn't add up. Now, after reading the extended details I'm sure something doesn't add up. I bat for Team Goodguys but if I batted for Team Badguys I wouldn't steal your stuff practically in front of my house because there is a chance you'd follow me. Then, if you showed up I certainly wouldn't kidnap you, move you around to different rooms, and then throw you out on the street blindfolded.

Sorry, but I don't get it. I don't want to be insensitive to someone who has been victimized but this story doesn't make sense.

It's a total shame & a disgrace to see people being robbed here. I always do my best to warn tourists, I have even intervened to stop a couple of thieves, one was just about to put his hand into a woman's handbag in the subte, I hit him with my suitcase & he ran off ,,the other tried to rob a girl on the street when I ran towards him making him suddenly take off. Another time I actually chased two would be thieves with a crow bar down Pueyrredon...it makes my blood boil to hear about it. I have also seen a little thieve rip a gold necklace from an older lady's neck, he disappeared down a side street.

It's important to be very aware cause once it's in their hands, they are very hard to catch.

Also, another note, the main police force is controlled by Crisrtina (Federal Police) so don't count on them for much, they usually disappear when there's crime is in progress, the only police force I would count on is the 'Metropolitana' as they are the local city's police, but the issue with the metropolitana is that it's too small a force at this point in time & are thin on the ground.

You're not as likely to have a gun put in your face but you'll be pick pocketed more often than what you could imagine

I saw this ad in the subway last friday.
It's a website for exposing / blow the whistle on any kind of illegal activity.
You might give them a try.

http://www.fiscalias.gov.ar/

So there are no _Guardian Angels_ patrolling the streets of Bs As trying to deter crimes? Not even in the Touristy areas.?

I have a black iPhone 4S 16gb unlocked that has a case and is in perfect condition. $400 USD. If your interested let me know.

When I first read this story I felt something didn't add up. Now, after reading the extended details I'm sure something doesn't add up. I bat for Team Goodguys but if I batted for Team Badguys I wouldn't steal your stuff practically in front of my house because there is a chance you'd follow me. Then, if you showed up I certainly wouldn't kidnap you, move you around to different rooms, and then throw you out on the street blindfolded.

1) Paco is a helluva drug. Criminals on drugs don't do a lot that makes sense. Most drug addicts don't. The first thing I thought when I read her story was that they were probably high out of their minds. Also, is a young girl with suitcases on the street at 6 a.m. really a risk of being someone who would fight back against criminals and maybe win? Especially when she is outnumbered? A person with suitcases sounds like a highly desirable target to me--they probably have a lot of stuff on them. Also, she said warehouse, not house. Lots of squatters around certain parts. Which leads me to...
2) I don't know where she was on Juan B. Justo, but I crashed with my boyfriend very near there a few blocks south of Santa Fe for a time and oh man is that a sketchy part of Palermo. I'd cut over to Oro and double back to get home even during the day. Juan B. Justo is not much better. I tried to go running up and down it during the day a few times and just...blah. Always got the sketchy vibes there.
3) Criminals don't always make sense. A guy ran by at lightning speed past Magdalena's Party once when I was there once. In addition to a girl's purse, he snatched a drink before jumping into his getaway car. Of course, since he was running so fast it spilled everywhere. I doubt he got a drop. That didn't make much sense. I once saw an old lady bleeding profusely from the arm walking down a busy street when I first started teaching in BA years ago. At first I thought she got clipped by a car, but she said someone had cut her purse off her arm. Now if you're going after a really old woman hobbling slowly down the street, wouldn't a firm tug be sufficient to grab her purse? That didn't make much sense to me either.

There have been confirmed hostage situations in Palermo and other parts of the city before. She is an anonymous poster so we'll never know for sure, but I don't find this story unbelievable at all. Best of luck to you, nshyi0321.

It seems to me the incident took place last April so I see little relevancy in offering to sell something to this person at this point in time. But on the situation of Robbery -- this past Sunday I was on my way to San Martin Square on Saturday morning around 930am -- I had to switch from the B to A line at Pellegrini Station. Three older men blocked my way - my friend said one put his arm around mine which I did not really feel as I was being pushed many ways.. Someone put their hand into one of my pockets taking some papers with my notes on them along with 300 pesos. They left the Subte card in the other pocket untouched along with 60 pesos which was below the 300 pesos in that pocket. This happened as I was trying to get onto the A line. I was not hurt yet my ego was hurt. I have been here this trip in BA for 3 months without any other incident. I am lucky I was not carrying a phone or other things at that time. Robberies will occur anywhere at anytime. We always need to be vigilant -- I walk down lighted streets where people are present. I live in a neighborhood with lights and stores so I know people will be around. In the subte there were many people too but these guys have probably been teamed up for years having perfected their so called art. they were good at it too. I just did not notice it coming at me as my mind was more focused on getting on the train before it moved onward. I just point out how robberies happen all the time. What I am curious about the person who said they lost everything and can this site help them -- never bought the products one other well known member on this forum offered to them at a good price. Were they robbed or just looking for help? Those of you who followed the story in its detail perhaps can comment on it as I do not know the details of any of it until today.

Back