Robbed In La Boca Yesterday, No Access To Cctv?

You are screwed plain and simple.
The PFA in not interested in helping you.
Best you can do is learn from the experience.
Pay attention to your surroundings before you display anything expensive..
Observe who is in front and behind you on the street.
This ain't Disneyland.

[/color]

It's really good that you did not do this. If an adult hits a minor in Argentina it is a serious crime. It's true that nothing would happen to the young thugs, even if you could identify them to the police. However, if you and the guys you know had taught them a "little lesson" and they could identify you, they would not be the ones with a serious problem with the police, You would probably also have a problem with migraciones and not be able to return to Argentina in the future.

But WWAD (what would Ayn do)?

Last week my wife and I sat down for lunch in a restaurant in La Plata. The waitress came over with a big smile and explained that the last time I was there, about a month before, $200 had dropped out of my pocket onto the floor. She had been holding it, waiting for me to return. She was clearly very happy to be able to give me my money back.
Last year a man ran up to me on the street holding some bills that I had dropped.
(Yes! I know I've been careless with my money, I'm used to the heavier USD).
Sure we're out here, in the suburbs. And there's lots of crime here, especially breakins but I've had really good experiences with the people I've met.

If you knew as much about Ayn and as you pretend to, you might know that she did not advocate carrying guns:

PS: I've never known an Ayn Rand fan who owned a gun.

I'm an Ayn Rand fan and I support the right to gun ownership. There is something a bit hypocritical about her publicly stated stance on guns though, considering that her novels supposedly embody her philosophy. In this scene from Atlas Shrugged, Dagny the main protagonist basically mows a guy down for being a typical bureaucrat, his punishment for not being an Objectivist:

“But I can’t decide! Why me?”

“Because it’s your body that’s barring my way.”

“But I can’t decide! I’m not supposed to decide!”

“I’ll count to three,” she said. “Then I’ll shoot.”

“Wait! Wait! I haven’t said yes or no!” he cried, cringing tighter against the door, as if immobility of mind and body were his best protection, “One –” she counted; she could see his eyes staring at her in terror — “Two– ” she could see that the gun held less terror for him than the alternative she offered — “Three.”

Calmly and impersonally, she, who would have hesitated to fire at an animal, pulled the trigger and fired straight at the heart of a man who had wanted to exist without the responsibility of consciousness.

I was thinking of this scene the other day when you told me what her reply would be for stating that humans are apes. You gave me the long version. I suspect she might have just shot me.

Hey all, I got robbed of my camera yesterday in La Boca.

I was taking photos outside the stadium which I had done before on my recent few trips, but this time I walked back towards San telmo, well I was a few streets from the stadium when 4 kids about 16 turned and demanded my camera, I struggled with my bag but let them have it as I ran off with my money and phone intact to one of the Boca stores and asked them to call police. I am young at 33 and can handle myself but as I was outnumbered I let them have it and kept the important things, also I did not know if they had weapons so it's better to be safe than sorry. This happened about 4 and was light but as it started to rain the streets were beginning to empty of people and these guy also had umbrellas which one went to strike at me as I would not let go of the bag at first

These 4 were in front of me outside the corner of La Bombonera and looked at me there, and they were about 100 yards ahead as I was walking back to towards the big ave Alimarante Browne....anyway the police were not much help and took a few hours, what they seem to have told me with there little English, is that they have no access to cctv...is this true? I asked them why can't they just go get the cctv footage outside the stadium as there are big cameras there, and they said something about you have to go to a judge or something, and the police do not have the power....in the UK the police would go to see the footage and maybe identify the culprits if they are well known, seems to be a lot of red tape here...I guess it is not worth pursuing for a camera and backpack and book that were taken, although I was hit it is only a little scratch...and from reading online it seems it happens to many people and the police do not really care.

Have any of you been robbed, and is this true about the cctv, I think it is very stupid that we can not get to see it, I have a right mind to go down ther and demand it, I will tell them I am English royalty and in line for the thrown of something lol, jokes aside, would be nice to understand about the cctv situation here and if that is true?
I would shoot all 4 boys in the head, they are lucky they did not rob me. Lo Boca, every trip there for me was unpleasant, fake money and low lifes, I would stay away from the place.

Thanks for the ideas guys and advice, pepper spray it will be, good to carry some type of protection I guess.

But if in the future if you hear of local criminals being kidnapped tortured and then dropped back off in the street with thief branded into their foreheads it wasn't me ok lol.....no but seriously someone needs to teach them a lesson, I can deal with it ok but I imagine many have been robbed and it has effected them greatly, not a nice thing to happen to anyone.

Are there any posts on here about places in the city where one should be wary of? those streets around the stadium seem to be a problem, but the big main street ave almirante brown seems to be ok, is this regarded as safe as there are many people about? in fact when the police had finished with me at 24 station they said I could get a taxi on the corner...I thought I was still in the hood so to speak as I came out and was still looking about everywhere to make sure it was safe, but that ave seems to be ok and very busy.........also what about other parts of the city? I know the villas are bad and surrounding areas one needs to be vigilant, but I have walked all over and places like Velez sarsfield stadium, all boys stadium, argentina juniors stadium I visited and the surrounding areas seem to be ok and those neighbourhoods ok, also boedo when I visited carrefour the place of the original san lorenzo staidum, that seems to be a nice area also, would be good if there was some type of guide about each area, but I guess we learn more as we go to each place or read online, La boca and the villas seem to be the places to watch out for, but if there are any more in BA please let me know. I like to go everywhere and visit the different areas on my trips, and I plan to move there in a year also. thanks for the reply everyone

This ain't Disneyland.

Funny you should say that, my sister had her SLR camera stolen from Disneyland once.

Talking of which, I`ve lived here for 2 years and never had a problem, i`ve travelled to some 30+ countries around the world including 3 in South America. I`ve only had something stolen or attempted stolen in LA and Madrid.

Back