Robbed In La Boca Yesterday, No Access To Cctv?

BAPaul

Registered
Hey all, I got robbed of my camera yesterday in La Boca.

I was taking photos outside the stadium which I had done before on my recent few trips, but this time I walked back towards San telmo, well I was a few streets from the stadium when 4 kids about 16 turned and demanded my camera, I struggled with my bag but let them have it as I ran off with my money and phone intact to one of the Boca stores and asked them to call police. I am young at 33 and can handle myself but as I was outnumbered I let them have it and kept the important things, also I did not know if they had weapons so it's better to be safe than sorry. This happened about 4 and was light but as it started to rain the streets were beginning to empty of people and these guy also had umbrellas which one went to strike at me as I would not let go of the bag at first

These 4 were in front of me outside the corner of La Bombonera and looked at me there, and they were about 100 yards ahead as I was walking back to towards the big ave Alimarante Browne....anyway the police were not much help and took a few hours, what they seem to have told me with there little English, is that they have no access to cctv...is this true? I asked them why can't they just go get the cctv footage outside the stadium as there are big cameras there, and they said something about you have to go to a judge or something, and the police do not have the power....in the UK the police would go to see the footage and maybe identify the culprits if they are well known, seems to be a lot of red tape here...I guess it is not worth pursuing for a camera and backpack and book that were taken, although I was hit it is only a little scratch...and from reading online it seems it happens to many people and the police do not really care.

Have any of you been robbed, and is this true about the cctv, I think it is very stupid that we can not get to see it, I have a right mind to go down ther and demand it, I will tell them I am English royalty and in line for the thrown of something lol, jokes aside, would be nice to understand about the cctv situation here and if that is true?

It sucks, but my advice would be: forget about the camera and safe the useless effort: in case a real investigation would work so many things would need to happen:
- Police wants to investigate a case instead of having a mate with his colleagues and talk about the last football matches
- The CCTV system installed had to be working
- Someone needs to spend the whole day finding a working computer, finding the relevant data of the CCTV and watch it
- They need to be able to identify the robbers
- The robbers still need to have the camera, instead of having it already materialized (obviously only to feed their poor siblings and buy meds for their sick mother).
- The police wants to give it back to you instead of having a new birthday present for their wife or a great item on mercadolibre

Each of those points is not too likely, the chances that all of them become true should be around 0...

I'm very sorry to hear about this mate.
Very bad luck, could have happened to any of us.

Walking with a good camera or Rolex in Plaza Serrano or La Boca is very risky , Never walk on empty streets you are a target.

I assume that if the CCTV cameras belong to the stadium that you would need a warrant, that's pretty normal. I'd forget about talking to the police and call the fiscalia de la ciudad.

Even if were able to get a hold of the security camera´s footage, this was theft, they are underage, so they do not even take them to the police station. Even if a cop was standing there and saw it all, and they were stealing for the 50th time, our criminal system as it is would not put them in jail. So basically, feel lucky that you were not hurt and forget about it.

Walking with a good camera or Rolex in Plaza Serrano or La Boca is very risky , Never walk on empty streets you are a target.

I'm not questioning what you say, just trying to be sure I understand. Is this the Plaza Serrano you're talking about, in Palermo?

http://es.wikipedia....i/Plaza_Serrano

And is that article accurate in saying Palermo Soho is the same as Palermo Viejo? I'm concerned with being sure I understand, because I just put a deposit on a department in Palermo, what I am told is Palermo Soho (I'm too green to be sure if that's true or not).

I'm not questioning what you say, just trying to be sure I understand. Is this the Plaza Serrano you're talking about, in Palermo?

And is that article accurate in saying Palermo Soho is the same as Palermo Viejo? I'm concerned with being sure I understand, because I just put a deposit on a department in Palermo, what I am told is Palermo Soho (I'm too green to be sure if that's true or not).

Yes. That's the plaza, I always thought palermo viejo was south of canning and soho north. I'm not positive about that though

Even if were able to get a hold of the security camera´s footage, this was theft, they are underage, so they do not even take them to the police station. Even if a cop was standing there and saw it all, and they were stealing for the 50th time, our criminal system as it is would not put them in jail. So basically, feel lucky that you were not hurt and forget about it.

This!

Plus - Do you have renters insurance on a property in either the US or the UK? If so, your renters insurance might very well cover the theft. I had my laptop stolen in 2007 (before I knew better than to put by backpack on the floor). Filed a police report, faxed it to my insurance company, and they wired money to my account within 24 hours.

I mentioned Plaza Serrano in Palermo because last week a US lady was snatched a Rolex watch the thief was apprehended by a mob, in spite of the fact that the thief had 3 open causes for robbery, without conviction, was released after 11 hours form the Police station

Back