Servicio domestico in times of Covid

Much safer to do your own cleaning. You have no idea where your cleaner has been and how exposed she's been to the virus.
As silly as this sounds, I actually enjoy doing house work.

I don't mind running the vacuum across the floors, cleaning the bathrooms or kitchen up. Whatever needs to be done, it is never a problem for me.

And you are right, it is safer, but there is an even bigger advantage. Inviting a stranger into your house could be the reason why you get robbed at some future point in time. Some of these cleaners are spotters for criminals. It's a fact!

And you are right, it is safer, but there is an even bigger advantage. Inviting a stranger into your house could be the reason why you get robbed at some future point in time. Some of these cleaners are spotters for criminals. It's a fact!

True..House work can be fun or even therapeutic. But I rather spend my valuable time learning new skills, reading new books, and planning how to make more money and just pay some one to do the rudimentary jobs.

However, you are right that cleaner can also be a spotter.

True..House work can be fun or even therapeutic. But I rather spend my valuable time learning new skills, reading new books, and planning how to make more money and just pay some one to do the rudimentary jobs.

However, you are right that cleaner can also be a spotter.
Ceviche,

It is very easy to maintain your own space if it isn't palatial in nature and the occupants are neat and clean to begin with.

Also, if you do a bit each day, the 30 minutes or so is a fraction of your day and simply becomes a part of your routine.

And I do agree with not going overboard, because there are far more important uses of one's valuable time. Making money, improving yourself and having a bit of down time to simply rest, recharge and think are so important to functioning at a high level.

I've been paying our cleaning lady since March. Is it reasonable for me to ask her to come for an hour once or twice a week to sweep and tidy up the yard?

Reasonable and legal don't go hand in hand these days.

If she lives at walking distances, i'd say go for it.
If she needs transportation and she's stopped it may land you both in trouble.

Also, if it's just for an hour it is definitely not worth the potential trouble.

Iz

I agree there is a risk involved. However, the potential gain that you have with a full time employee is a real improvement in your quality of life, especially if you have small kids in the house.

And I also believe that the risk with a full time employee is much lower than with a cleaner that comes by a few hours per week. First, if you pay and treat the employee well (especially also with a legal contract, i.e. en blanco), this lady also has to lose something. Secondly, the screening process for a full time employee is obviously a very different one than one would do for a part-timer. (agency, agency is checking the references, you are checking the references, various interviews with different candidates etc).

I agree there is a risk involved. However, the potential gain that you have with a full time employee is a real improvement in your quality of life, especially if you have small kids in the house.

And I also believe that the risk with a full time employee is much lower than with a cleaner that comes by a few hours per week. First, if you pay and treat the employee well (especially also with a legal contract, i.e. en blanco), this lady also has to lose something. Secondly, the screening process for a full time employee is obviously a very different one than one would do for a part-timer. (agency, agency is checking the references, you are checking the references, various interviews with different candidates etc).
Noted Alpinista.

For me ...

The only way I would ever consider a butler / maid would be if that person were 50+ years of age & single (Mature and set in their ways.) and she / he were to live in the household as a part of the family. (That way her / his interest is parallel to that of the family she / he serves and it's household.)

She / he would be given a flexible schedule, well compensated and treated as a member of the family.

There is simply too much downside to having a "hired gun" in personal space. My life isn't that complicated that I need to waiver on this.

Noted Alpinista.

For me ...

The only way I would ever consider a butler / maid would be if that person were 50+ years of age & single (Mature and set in their ways.) and she / he were to live in the household as a part of the family. (That way her / his interest is parallel to that of the family she / he serves and it's household.)

She / he would be given a flexible schedule, well compensated and treated as a member of the family.

There is simply too much downside to having a "hired gun" in personal space. My life isn't that complicated that I need to waiver on this.

Butler? In Argentina? In 2020? You've been watching too much Downton Abbey.

I do enjoy Downton Abbey - Binged watched the whole series a while back - Enjoyed it immensely.

I gave the term of butler for the male counterpart of the female maid. (I wasn't quite sure how to express it??? What is the male counterpart to maid? I believe it to be butler??? HELP!)

All in all domestic help for me needs to be as I described it. Otherwise I would rather not have a part time hired gun. If someone is to serve me, I will be their 100% focus.

I do enjoy Downton Abbey - Binged watched the whole series a while back - Enjoyed it immensely.

I gave the term of butler for the male counterpart of the female maid. (I wasn't quite sure how to express it??? What is the male counterpart to maid? I believe it to be butler??? HELP!)

All in all domestic help for me needs to be as I described it. Otherwise I would rather not have a part time hired gun. If someone is to serve me, I will be their 100% focus.

Good question. I knew someone who had a male helper she called a 'houseman' (since you watched Downton you know that the butler doesn't do the cleaning).

Back