Should I Start Fresh With My Other Passport?

lucha54

Registered
Hey, wondering what you all think of this.

I have been entering and exiting (A LOT) during the past 3 years on my European passport.
I have one overstay stamp from 2012 which no one has ever said anything about and several entry/exit stamps since then. I'm traveling to EEUU in December and may be getting another overstay stamp if I don't head to Uruguay or elsewhere before the end of this month.
I was thinking that when I return from EEUU in January, I'll enter with my US passport.

(Did you know that if you pay the reciprocity fee with an Argy CC, they charge in pesos without any fees? So that brings it down to about $100 from $160 if paying with blue pesos)

Here's what I want some feedback on. My US passport is completely empty. Will this make my life easier? Obviously I will worry less when entering and exiting. (and don't get me started on the ethics of overstaying- I live here with my Argy guy and we are NOT ready to 'do the paperwork' yet.) But I also know that they have the fingerprint system now. Will they say, 'hey, we still see all your entries and exits in the system from your other passport you fraud!!) or will they just raise their eyebrows a little less high. Anyway, I know that no one here knows what shows up on their screen but I would just like to get some feedback, especially if you've been in the same situation of 'starting fresh' with an alternate passport and if it really made you feel more at ease or if anyone has ever said anything funny.

I feel that coming and going on the EU passport has turned less heads than a US passport might (because of any pissy anti-American customs person) but starting fresh with blank pages and less worry might just be worth $100.

I just arrived from the EU 2 weeks ago and my passport has 10 pages full of stamps, most of which are from Argentina, including 2 overstay stamps. I was quicker through immigration than my Argentine girlfriend... Over all the re-entries, I just had one guy who complained about the overstay (at this time I overstayed just once; probably his mate was not hot anymore), but even then he didn't even ask for a return ticket or something like that and just put the 90 day stamp on the passport.

That's a good question. I think if you're residency in Argentina states you're from Europe then you must always enter and leave with a European passport. However, that's not always the case. I left with my European passport and DNI once when my US passport was expired. But, I think they do know how many times you've come and gone regardless of which passport you use. Check with Bajo_Cero2. He's the expertise on this matter.

Thanks for your feedback guys (gals?). Nlaruccia; I don't have residency here, that's why I'm asking. Still have 'tourist' status. But yes I'm wondering if it really doesn't make a difference as it's all tied to the thumbprint anyway. In which case I will keep using my quickly filling EU passport and save on the reciprocity fee that I wouldn't have to pay!

Won't make any difference at all. Entering with a new European passport, an empty US passport or the same one as before....all the same. They will know how many times you have entered the country, and how long you stayed each time.

What about going to migraciones... do I need an appointment or just show up and wait (with a long book). If it's not my first stamp, will they allow this?

If you go there without an appointment be prepared to wait, and wait, and wait in a long line. No one has crystal ball to know what immigrations will say about your two passports. The only way to to know for sure is to go there and find out. In Ezeiza they're not stupid, with the new high tech finger printing system they know where you've been and how many times.

Back