Sick of Malbec?!?!

I feel your pain mate.
I've found a very nice wine...a Shiraz Malbec from the Calia people. Smooth, well rounded and very drinkable.
I too would welcome some more international variety such as a Rioja from Spain. Talking of which, when I lived there it was hard to find a decent French wine.

I'm just passing through (always a newbie) and will probably only live here 3 or 4 years, so maybe that's not enough time to start getting tired of anything. But having already been here almost 2 years, I am beginning to notice a bit of "getting tired of" settling in. Whether wine or certain foods, in my case, it can be summed up as the result of a widespread, general lack of simple variety. The same anything gets old if you are faced with it day after day after day.

Instead of 15 or 20 varieties of fresh fish in the few sushi places here, there are 3 or 4. While there may be 20 cuts of steak on a menu, there will be 1 or 2 offerings of pork or chicken, and all of it prepared pretty much the same way. 9 of 10 restaurants are some type of parilla, with a few ethnic choices scattered around. Instead of wine from all the great wine producing countries on offer, most come from Argentina -- hardly even noticing that Chile, right next door, has an astonishing array of excellent wines.

So, it is variety I miss, it is open choice I miss, and more than anything else, it is that I will be happy to leave behind when the time comes.

This brings up a question for me. What do you see as a good price point for a good quality but not too high in price? Can you find quality at 30-40 P ARG? or do you need to jump up to the 60-80 peso range?

robin.smith said:
This brings up a question for me. What do you see as a good price point for a good quality but not too high in price? Can you find quality at 30-40 P ARG? or do you need to jump up to the 60-80 peso range?

There are some VERY good wines in the 30-40 peso range. Nieto Senetiner, Finca La Linda, Uxmal, Trumpeter, Terrazas, and probably 50 more bodegas. One of my favorites, allthough not a top of the line brand is Latitud 33 Tempranillo.

I never get sick of a good vino, and the price just can't be beat. People in the US are paying 3-5 times the price.

Amargo said:
Very smart comment indeed! How did you find it out?

It's getting to be pretty obvious by some of your posts..... :rolleyes:

About a year and a half ago I was thinking about the idea of importing and exporting wines. I talked to a wholesaler and he said that Argentineans won't buy imported wines. They're nationalist and loyal to Argentina. Hence, no foreign wines. It's a pity.

Back