Slow Internet

I hope that 4 day outages don't happen too much Dave - if they do my overseas source of income will suddenly dry up - I will need my voip phone number and ''line'' from Oz up and running to do about 4 shifts a week on my call centre back in Oz so I can continue to get paid into my Aussie bank account and have some money to live down there...

Dont expect to much from the internet here.. just live with it and if its out for a few days its out for a few days..

I am in a similar situation to alot where i need internet for work. Last year the apt i rented had an internet connection that would be out for a day or 2 then come back on.. I would phone when it was out for more than 4 or 5 hours, and they would say someone would be around (within 48 hours to fix), and not once did that some one turn up.
The last time it went out, it was out for 5 days, i got fed up with calling and getting no response so started to investigate the problem myself.. turns out it was a faulty cable connection.. probably never properly installed and tested in the first place - the weird thing being that the cable TV always worked fine, just the internet and phone would play up.. I just pulled everything to bits from where it came into the building and went to my apt and then put it back together and tested as i went.. A tech with a cable tester could have sorted in 10 mins probably.. such is argentina !!!!!

fred mertz said:
Contact - [email protected]. He´s really good; speaks Australian (similar to English) and Spanish.
We just used Ricardo this past week.

He's re Aussie. At least his English, his inflections, vocab. It's pretty funny. He lived most of his life in Australia, so his English is probably a bit better than his Spanish.

I would recommend him.

Well - looks like I've got my IT contact sorted out then - I'd better email him :) Re: internet outages being that long - that will seriously mess with my job - so I have to hope the connection I am getting will be a lot more reliable than that :(

Just did speedtest....am paying for 3mb and getting 1.5mb! Will try out Sleuth's tips and try again....

That's Nitro. You get a boost in the first 6,8 meg ( 3,4 on the 3 meg ) if there's available bandwidth.

I think as soon as I get down there I'll be going with Sleuth's (Dave's?) recommendation and getting on that Fibertel 6mbs connection...:)

Dave, great blog post about speedy internet tips. I've been a big fan of OpenDNS since they launched.. haven't tried Google's DNS yet.. although they recently caught flak for actually being much slower than ISP's normal DNS when it came to YouTube, iTunes streaming, and other multimedia content. Reason being that Akamai (which hosts all that huge content for Apple, etc.) serves the files from California (what they consider your closest location), since as far as they know, the request originated from Google, not from you in Argentina.. this has been a well-known problem in Australia since GoogleDNS launched. Anyway, this is all very "inside baseball" - to be discussed over beers with other geeks if requested..

My experience here has been mixed - at my first three apartments in BA (all around San Telmo), the internet was pretty slow. But at our current place in Colegiales, we signed up for the 3Mbps special that Fibertel was running.. and guess what? The speed often exceeds that, and rarely falls below it. Except.. after I've been bittorrenting for a while, I will notice that things have slowed to a crawl. But a simple reboot of the router fixes all that silly traffic shaping and gets things back on track. So that's obviously the first thing to try.

Guillo said:
That's Nitro. You get a boost in the first 6,8 meg ( 3,4 on the 3 meg ) if there's available bandwidth.

Can you tell more about Nitro in Argentina? Sounds interesting.

I know it is a data compressor.

Does it work well in this country, what is the best way to license it, and will you be able to have a proxy server address in the US?

thanks

Back