Spanish-American Newcomer's Observations

dani28 said:
I had a steak dinner for 2 at a very posh restaurant in Puerto Madero complete with a nice bottle of wine for the equivalent of about $70 USD. Back in the States, any ex-pat knows this will barely pay for 1 Ruth's Chris steak.

It has been years since I've eaten at Ruth's Chris, but nearly $70 for a steak? Geeze, if that's really the case, you won't catch me there anytime soon.

10,000 pesos per month for a couple grants you an upper-middle class lifestyle. If not, you are all doing it wrong.

Lunch in a lot of restaurants: 35 pesos, less in the "real" ethnic restaurants. What restaurants are those?

Haircut: 25-30 pesos (20 or less outside BA). Again - where?? Maybe if you're a man? I just had my hair washed, cut (just the ends trimmed) and blown out yesterday at a neighborhood peluqueria - it was 175 pesos

Urban Public transport: let´s say FREE. agreed, very inexpensive.

Rent: get a garantia, for God´s sake.Oh yes, it's all that easy for expats:rolleyes: And even if you get that guarantia, by the time you pay your expenses, all the bills, furnish your apt, etc - it's still not that cheap.And if you're not going to be living here for at least a few years, it's not a viable solution.

Elementary School to University: I believe in public education. White guardapolvos for my future children, none of them will wear "private" uniforms. Don't have kids but while I firmly believe in public education, I also think it depends on the options in your specific neighborhood.

Health: In this one a cheap pre-paga even beats the expensive ones. I go for Hospital Italiano, for some people is enough with an "Obra Social", others prefer to rely solely on public hospitals, even if they can afford other options. I don't know anyone - porteño or extranjero that would rely on public hospitals. And health insurance is getting VERY expensive. I pay 1200 pesos a month for OSDE 310 as a single person. That's more than 10% of your 10K a month right there.

Etc... etc... etcetera.

But continue paying those expat and cheto services, some of us make money from it. Way to be patronizing much? I know plenty of porteño couples here who are making more than 10K and are still on a tight budget and would hardly describe themselves as upper middle class.

marksoc said:
10,000 pesos per month for a couple grants you an upper-middle class lifestyle. If not, you are all doing it wrong.

Lunch in a lot of restaurants: 35 pesos, less in the "real" ethnic restaurants.
Haircut: 25-30 pesos (20 or less outside BA).
Urban Public transport: let´s say FREE.
Rent: get a garantia, for God´s sake.
Elementary School to University: I believe in public education. White guardapolvos for my future children, none of them will wear "private" uniforms.
Health: In this one a cheap pre-paga even beats the expensive ones. I go for Hospital Italiano, for some people is enough with an "Obra Social", others prefer to rely solely on public hospitals, even if they can afford other options.

Etc... etc... etcetera.

But continue paying those expat and cheto services, some of us make money from it.

Sorry, but just because you call that an "upper-middle class lifestyle" doesn't make it so. Eating 30-peso pasta lunches, taking the bus at night, and sending your kids to public school sounds pretty much like a middle-class plebe to me.

starlucia said:
Sorry, but just because you call that an "upper-middle class lifestyle" doesn't make it so. Eating 30-peso pasta lunches, taking the bus at night, and sending your kids to public school sounds pretty much like a middle-class plebe to me.

LOL - Way to cut right to the heart of the matter Starlucia. Valid observation by the way:D

thankyou Starlucia -- as I said, I don't know any upper middle class porteno that would be caught dead on public transport -- maybe during the day to go to the centro, but owning a car is a huge status thing here, so before even thinking upper middle class, they'd have to at the least have their Peugeot 206. And no upper middle class person would be without obra social and using public schooling.

citygirl said:
But continue paying those expat and cheto services, some of us make money from it.

Hmm wouldn't an indication of being truly upper middle class be the fact that you can afford expat and cheto services -- avoiding them would be an indication that you're not a member of that class!

I guess the idea of upper middle is pretty different to you -- upper middle to me usually means people that are financially comfortable enough that they can afford perks -- they don't need to be stuck paying 25 pesos for haircuts and 30 pesos for lunch, they have enough buying power to enjoy the better things in life.

oops that quoted citygirl not the OP -- sorry! couldn't be bothered to go back and find where he said these things!

People from the upper middle class tend to go punta del Este, Pinamar, Villa Gesel or Floriapa for the summer and send there kids to Europe for a graduating gift or they go as well. Good luck with your 10k peso income

Public schooling is an option however if your kid gets into Nacional or Carlos Pellegrini, but that's only a happy few

starlucia said:

I love the use of the word "plebe" here!

I cuts right the point.

Back