Spending A Year In Argentina

Ghost you are quite a funny one. You seem so negative, maybe you are in the wrong country? And If you don't have anything that can contribute positively to answering my questions please don't comment. I am coming to Argentina because I find Australian life boring I would like to eventually travel around South America and I am learning Spanish...sum enough up for you?

You asked for an opinion in an open group that, how hard it might be? Ghost has just commented as per his experience good/bad, you should respect that.

Buenos Aires is currently the most happening city in the world! You will have a fabulous time here!!! The idiots that say it is unsuitable for an 18 year old are the people that never get invited to anything, There are 100 things going on here every night, all affordable if not free, and transport is heavily subsidised so you can get there for pennies. Come and enjoy!

Ha ha, I like BsAs, but it is not the most happening city in the world. That said, the OP should definitely come. Even after 6.5 years, I learn something new every day.

Hola! I am from Australia and am coming to Argentina (buenos aires primarily) for a year in November. I'd like to think I would end up doing something spontaneous and end up staying but I want to test things out first. Anyway I was wondering if someone could let me know how hard it is for an unqualified foreigner to get a job in Buenos Aires ( I already have required paperwork to stay in the country for a year) but I'm not sure how to go about getting a job and permanent or temporary residency (I've read some confusing articles!) considering I am 18 and not a millionaire - is there anything I have to watch out for or could get in trouble for by immigration people? Slash it seems there is an abundance of English teachers there, would I be better off being an au pair/ nanny?

Your comments would be much appreciated!
Thanks Tegan :)
Do you have any skills that would allow you to do freelancing work remotely? Something like Web design, programming, etc.? Then you could work for companies abroad, charge in foreign currency and live pretty well in BsAs.

Your right ajoknoblauch I don't have any teaching credentials and I have only completed a year and a half of my university degree. Could you suggest a job field that would be easy to get a position? I'm not sure of the labor laws over there

Teegs, teaching credentials here are of minimal importance. All you need is to be TEFL certified, which you can do online for fairly cheap. Institutes here will hire you for nothing more than having a TEFL certificate and being a native speaker. I know because I did it. Many of my students are already speaking at an advanced level and want nothing more than to practice their conversation skills with a native speaker. Of course, you should expect it to take 2-3 months before you get a full schedule (around 25/30 hours of class per week), and you'll probably make an average of 60 pesos/hour for classes. You can live on this amount, but it won't be luxurious. Remember that 25/30 hours of classes, plus transportation to/from these classes means your out and about at least 50 hours per week.

Teegs I have no doubt at 18 you will enjoy here, especially if you come with savings and can speak some Spanish.

But yeah if you have a year (deferring, gap year whatever) I would spend at least 6 months of that's travelling Argentina and the rest of South America. There is so much to see and do, however definitely agree setting up shop somewhere for a few months could be a good idea. Just make sure you spend some time in the other cities, ie Cordoba, Rosario, further north (Tucumán, Salta) as the people from the interior are quite different (generally more friendly and well mannered for one). Good luck!

I just wanted to welcome you to Argentina .i hope you have a great time here!!!! however i don't know how you managed to get in this board most of us are 18 and millionaires!!! well except for me ,am older but i'm a billionaire :D Once again welcome and stay safe!

Do you have any skills that would allow you to do freelancing work remotely? Something like Web design, programming, etc.? Then you could work for companies abroad, charge in foreign currency and live pretty well in BsAs.
How will Tegan get hard currency payments into the country? If it comes through the banking system, doesn't it have to be converted into ARS at the official exchange rate?

How will Tegan get hard currency payments into the country? If it comes through the banking system, doesn't it have to be converted into ARS at the official exchange rate?

Unless he gets a clue, he could be hideously screwed...and still might be, even if he does...

Ha ha, I like BsAs, but it is not the most happening city in the world. That said, the OP should definitely come. Even after 6.5 years, I learn something new every day.

I disagree, there is more accessible culture in BA than any city I know in the world. I get invitations to 4 or 5 interesting events a day. I was previously a relatively wealthy individual with offices in London, Paris and New York and travelled a lot. I changed my entire career (now a Bed and Breakfast owner and chef) because I love living in a proper city, and BA is definitely the best city in the world to live in from a social or cultural point of view. And yes it is incredibly hard doing business here, it took me a whole year to get 3 phase electricity, but the fact that it is so difficult also means it hasn't been overrun by investment bankers! For me the culture has changed very little in the 17 years I have been coming here. I cant say the same of London!

Don't limit yourself only to Buenos Aires. Just within Argentina alone there is an incredible amount to see and do in other corners of the country. The entire corridor between Tierra del Fuego and Salta / Jujuy / Bolivia is incredible. Not to mention the Chilean side of the Andes.

If it were me, I don't think I'd come here to work for a year. I'd do whatever I could to save up enough money to live for a year here to study Spanish / travel. That is NOT a lot of money - FYI. If you need a little money somewhere just offer to wash dishes, greet English-speaking tourists, or help our with the horses. That experience has the potential to change how you think and see the world - for the better.

Back