Spicy food in BA

[quote name='Don'tMindMe']Mash on calle México for Indian food. San Telmo/Montserrat (depending on who you ask--no one can seem to agree which neighborhood starts where). [/quote]
It's actually pretty easy. Mexico doesn't go through San Telmo

PhilipDT said:
It's actually pretty easy. Mexico doesn't go through San Telmo

Haha I know, you're right! I just didn't want to start a debate and jack the thread. A bunch of books/web sites say that Mash is in San Telmo. No one ever believes me when I tell them San Telmo doesn't start until Chile...On Craigslist people are starting to refer to México, Venezuela and Belgrano as San Telmo Brooklyn...please!!

Thanks to Lee's cerviche photo from a week or so ago, I felt the need to make another Barrio Chino run. Made sure to load up on all things spicy. Ended up with all the necessary ingredients to give myself a spicy boost every week, starting with some tofu in a spicy sauce.

Funny though that I historically dislike almost all Mexican food, but feel the need now to try some of these suggestions just to fill a void ;)

There's a tacky peruvian restaurant called LA CONGA on Rioja intersection with Rivadavia. It's always full and the portions are abundant. It's a buzzing and lively atmosphere and food is fresh and tasty.
Give it a go! Palermo and SAn Telmo are not the only neighbourhood in Baires with restaurants that offer good food.

Peruvian restaurant at Cordoba and Bulnes, delicious food, 45 pesos for like lomo with rice and vegetables and very hot sauce that made my mouth burn. Delicious and nice people

The only thing is they seem kinda random... I have seen them open at 10.30 on a monday, and closed on a friday night?? :O Weird... but if u get them at the right time its great

I can make the best Souther Indian dal out there. Plus, It would be good to make a little extra cash cooking, so if you interested, send me a PM. I make a simple chapati and dal dish, I make my own masala, I use ginger, asofeitida , fenugreek seeds and other ingredients that are essential to Southern Indian cooking but are missing in most spicy Indian food in BA, from my experience. I am going to check out Akbar 72, it sounds good! Northern Indian food is less spicey than Southern from my experience, but maybe not. I think they use more dairy and meat in their food. I guess I will find out. I did try out Tandoor, I think it's called. I tried only the vegetarian dishes, they were good for BA but their masala never changed, they used the same masala for each dish, so all the food tasted the same, but i was happy to eat something with spices. And I did enjoy my lunch, I was very happy with their brown lentils.

mhenna11 said:
I make my own masala, I use ginger, asofeitida , fenugreek seeds and other ingredients that are essential to Southern Indian cooking but are missing in most spicy Indian food in BA, from my experience.
You don't get asafoetida here. If you've found it anywhere, then please let me know!

cafeconleche said:
You don't get asafoetida here. If you've found it anywhere, then please let me know!

I brought the asofeitida powder with me. I have 2 left. I remember my first visit here, I was going mad looking for it, no luck. I even wrote to the Indian Embassy,hoping somebody there would be cool enough to give me some, but there were more important things that matter than my request. jajaja. I can give you a small amount, if you want, if you are that desperate. It won't be a lot, though. I want to share, but in this I will be stingy. I can give you 3 tablespoons, that should last you a while. Also, I brought my own coriander seeds because the seeds here don't taste like coriander seeds at all. Coriander seeds taste almost like artificial berries, Fruit Loops seeds, is what I like to call them. But these seeds or so important to making a good samba sauce. I forgot to bring curry leaves, the curry leaves here have no flavor. You know, why not try this Dietecian store owned by Indians, where I got my tasteless curry leaves from? Ciudad La Paz, btw Virrey del Pino and Juramento. It's small, nothing flashy, they might have asofeitida powder. I found this place the other day after class. Good luck. :)

Thanks for the offer! :) I have my stash of spices from home as well but was hoping you had found a source right here. The place on Ciudad de la Paz doesn't have anything much either.

Back