Starting To Look For A Piece Of Land To Build A House

Salta is rather nice. Shame it is full of saltenos! I have heard that it has become popular to build a house in places such as Cachi.

That's funny. I found the salteños delightful when I was there this year. Can't imagine why you'd say a thing like that. Oh wait, yes I can. -_-

Good question! Because I am originally from Tucuman and I can't stand Tucuman. Salta and Tucuman are the same thing, same families but the caste/class system is even worse in Salta. People in Tucuman are lovely too if you are there on holiday but living in Tucuman is another story. You know what they say: pueble chico, infierno grande.

Can I ask what you do for a living?.......

Elvis Impersonator... look at those mutton chops..... :D

but what would a house cost to build?? like a price per meter???
i am just curious about what is would cost.. anyone have a rough idea??
i know it is hard to probably say a price due to where it is built ,what style and quality you are trying for....

i really find san martin de los andes very special..... but staying 2 weeks is different than living there.....

Freelance translator is my job and it pays quite well (and in USD) so no problem for the financing. Furthermore I have works of art I can sell easily if needed.

Cost per price meter of course depends on the materials used of course.

Just for the construction (materials + workmanship), I guess it ranges actually from 5.000 pesos up to 8/10.000 pesos per square meter.

I want in fact to build two houses (that's why I need at least something like 10.000 square meters):
- I'll be building a first house, quite simple and smaller than the second one, while not being present on the construction site in order to come & live on the property when the second house will be built (and I'll be present for that one). Later on, this first house will be a guest house, or I'll rent it temporarly to expats. Estimated costs per square meter for this first house will be around 6.000 pesos per sq. meter. 100 square meters will be enough so that should be around 600.000 pesos. Of course, it's likely to be more expensive in the end so even 800.000 pesos would be OK.

- Second house will be much more ambitious, I wouldn't mind having 250/350 square meters, very high ceilings, etc.
I mentioned this door before but I'll be buying it within 10 days.
It's the door on the right in this book about Art Nouveau in Buenos Aires (of course I'll have all the original bronze parts):

BuenosAiresArtNou3_zpsdf09b96d.jpg

artnouveau_zps6c9e3b19.jpg

IMG_00402_zps3dc00a7c.jpg

So I'll need to buy as well antique Art Nouveau windows, more Art Nouveau doors (found quite a few interesting ones on Mercadolibre for 20.000 pesos each).
Entrance door being 10 feet high, I'll really need high ceilings, so I guess I'll end up spending 10.000 (actual) pesos per square meters.

Building such a house will take a few years, but that's OK.

Mendoza or Córdoba. Not sure if you are looking for a land in the suburbs or rural area.

I had been recently in Cordoba, around Mina Clavero. The sights are incredible, but small variety of food available, few bars or pubs open.

Both provinces have good trend in their economy.

Cordobeses sense of humor is fantastic. But they almost sistematically wanted to take advantage of this porteña.

Perhaps moving for 3 or 6 months before making the final decision will be the safe step.

Few kilometers from Mina Clavero there is a huge museum made by a frenchman, Museo Rocsen, he is very well known at Nono and the whole area. And furhter south, on the way to provincia de San Luis, at Villa San Javier, where the tabac and fruit fields were in the past, now there are olive, wine and farm producing organic products. Toribio Achaval is selling something like a mix of a country club and a temporary rental business ( a rip off in my own opinion).

Las Calles is also very nice, where Andrea Prodan lives, and next to the golf and a huge dam.

I think a good advice is to keep in mind if you prefer to live next to a dam, or beach or not

I think 1,000 USD is the ballpark for Uruguay (when you include doors and windows, and light fixtures, etc either new or antiques) so I guess 10,000 ARS Pesos should be realistic, again if time is not such a terrible concern, and if you don't compute all the assorted little unexpected problems that cost time and money.
I like the concept of building progressively. Will the main house be designed around the art nouveau pieces? Location will also determine the amplitude and exposure of windows (In Misiones you would need some shade, even in Mendoza, but probably not in Neuquen), as well as the materials.
I think Southern Mendoza might be the best option if you must live in Argentina. (Otherwise Uruguay is a spit away from Buenos Aires, is a real change, and has a perfect Mediterranean climate with access to the sea, and prices drop drastically if you avoid tourist areas)

Will the main house be designed around the art nouveau pieces?

Yop, Art Nouveau will be predominant, including the furniture & objects that I already started collecting (and paid a fraction of the price they would reach in an US or European auction).

I already posted the pics in the Mercadolibre thread (thanks again to Steve for creating it).

Just an example (bought in a local auction), I paid this Marcel Kammerer/Thonet side table 800 USD. It would reach 3000/3500 USD any time at Christie's NY. And it's 100% authentic (I worked in a French auction house in Paris during a few years). The chair is by Louis Majorelle (paid a fraction of the value as well). Desk + cupboard are from the Wiener Secesion (Art Nouveau also had a geometric component, not only curves & flowers), also paid a ridiculous price (would sell 10.000 euros at least in an auction).

kammmajorelle_zps18cd6e93.jpg

My next purchase is a complete service for 12 people, in perfect condition, by WMF. It's model number 43, likely the nicest one WMF made.

(those pics have been taken from eBay, but I'll have the complete set, around 250 pieces in total, close to new condition)

wmfmodel43-1_zps5b648717.jpg

wmfmodel43_zpseb2690a3.jpg

wmfmodel43-2_zps5be8d9c8.jpg

Back