Subte Strike 101

chris said:
I don't know that it is any more dangerous than the other lines that get minimal maintenance. Replacing the historic cars -- a real treasure - is not likely to make things better. Metrovias will likely buy rejects from Japan or some European country. Then they will not even bother to change the paint scheme or remove the signs in another language (I think there are still some Japanese language signs on the "B" line). The B line trains (if you can see through the graffiti) maintain the original Marinouchi Line color scheme from when it was part of the Tokyo subway system.

The trains from line D are from the Sao Paulo subway system and were retired a decade ago.

Find the rush hour comments kind of funny. Try the Tokyo Metro sometime during rush hour. At least they do run.

camberiu said:
The trains from line D are from the Sao Paulo subway system and were retired a decade ago.

I didn't know this. Presumably they got nice new ones in Sao Paulo?

Found this link from last year.

24 more 70s trains from Spain.
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/single-view/view/madrid-metro-cars-move-to-buenos-aires.html

They look identical to the ones they already have.

XZucM.jpg

I wonder if they're operating yet and if the aircon works in them :rolleyes:

Some years ago I commuted on the "A" line M-F for about six months. Didn't find it any more crowded than the "D" line which is indeed hell at rush hours.

I don't know who manufactured the "D" line trains. Interested to hear that they were bought from Sao Paulo -- after only ten years of use?

As for the photo, I don't think the coach looks at all bad given its age and the extent of its use. Of course a restoration is needed along with some safety improvements. My suggestion would be to run new trains at rush hours and leave the old ones for non-peak times. Then develop the line as a tourist attraction. One of the stations, I believe Peru, has been kept in its original condition -or close to it. There are even antique stye ads. This could be improved and extended to all or at least some key stations.

In addition to usual tourists there are lots of train - trolley - subway fans who go great distances to ride rail vehicles. The whole line could be creatively developed as a major tourist attraction while preserving an important part of the city's patrimony. Suggesting that they all be scrapped and replaced is the same that was done to New York's Pennsylvania Station -- now widely considered the greatest act of architectural vandalism in the city's history.

Get rid of 100 year old trains. Just because they don't serve the passengers every freakin day doesn't mean they are going to be burned up into a pile of ashes. They belong in a museum or run for fun in touristy areas.

Charge each tourist 15-20 pesos (or 50) a ride to help upkeep the trains and run them as such. If there is any money left over, use it to make the subway service better. Just because some of you want to see old pieces of junk doesn't mean they should still be used as regular medium of transportation.

I love old cars, yet I don't demand they be brought back in full force so we can all feel touristy and whatnot.

I live 2 blocks from line A and use it extensively, those that say its not as crowded during rush hour were either high when they used it or they live in dog houses and think little spaces where you have to squeeze into or out of are normal.

Having to open and close the stupid wooden doors manually, especially when the conductor or whatever is whistle happy and the driver jumpy, is no fun either. Like I said, it belongs in a museum, put it there.

The current subway fare of $2.50, with unlimited connections as long as you don't exit, is a joke. Hike up the price. It needs to go up to $5 or $6 to start making sense.

I've been to countries way poorer than Argentina but at least their subway system works. Delhi has a metro line that's miles better than Argentina's. That's the capital of India where normal trains usually look like this. Maybe those who're whining about Macri thinking of getting rid of these 100 year old trains should move to India and enjoy the "down to earth, train related life style" to be, you know, one with the elements or some sh*t like that.

Here's the Delhi metro for those who can't google: Delhi Metro

Yes makes a lot of sense, especially for those people who earn 2500 peso and need to spend 10-15% of there income just to get to work

El chabon said:
Yes makes a lot of sense, especially for those people who earn 2500 peso and need to spend 10% of there income just to get to work

Take the bus.

nicoenarg said:
Take the bus.

And that all of a sudden is a lot cheaper to maintain?

Taking 4 buses a day and you are alreaday talking around 15 peso

El chabon said:
And that all of a sudden is a lot cheaper to maintain?

Taking 4 buses a day and you are alreaday talking around 15 peso

You can't have it all. So stop acting like the world should be a perfect place. This kind of thought pattern is the exact reason why nothing ever works in this godforsaken country.

Take the subte strike: The workers, the supporters of the national government are demanding 28% wage hikes. Why I wonder? Oh I know, because inflation is running upwards of that number. But they don't blame the national government, oh no, that would be blasphemous. They just threaten the people and the city government by going on strike. Why not just fix the root of the problem? Oh because that's just too f***ing easy.

And also because they love the "para todos" programs that are being shoved up their a**es by her majesty. How does she support these programs? By printing more money and shuffling around with the money already present. But hey, the reality that that drives up the inflation shouldn't matter because we can always take the damn city, the one major area with a politician that presents some sort of opposition to the godliness of Cristina, hostage! Oh yeah, that should be fun. That way, we can blame the damn ills and everything bad on Macri, enjoy our "para todos" programs and also the wage hikes that will come when Macri is under enough pressure.

We will demand all of this while claiming BS like "you don't need to raise the fares, what are poor people going to do". The so called poor people join in the protest because "big bad Macri and the rich of palermo are waging a war against them....call the damn waaaaaaaaaaambulance".

All this while, no one f***ing looks at the damn root of the problem. Idiotic advocates like yourself also keep repeating the same BS.

All in all, if you don't want to spend any money at all, El Chabon, then freakin walk. No one stops you from doing that. If you can't walk, buy a wheel chair, one time investment and you should be fine, especially downhill! Plenty of exercise for your arms, and no worrying about fares at all. You can then leave the real problems of this world to the rest of us.

Reactions: Hop
Back