Summer And Power Outages,how Well Prepared Are We?

There was an overcharge problem during winter as in Av. Callao (almost av Sta Fe)many new biz opened up (used to be almost empty) so there was no power for a while, and they ended up changing the cables of the whole block. Guess it's holding it up ok now due to this change. Other side of Santa Fe looks like a Xmas tree, one day there's power, next day you see shops closing at 5 PM, streets light off, etc.

I see a couple people in this thread seem to be suggesting solar solutions, or have had experience living with that in other countries. I have no experience with it, but I'm looking into installing some panels (which are 2x as expensive in Argentina with limited selection) on part of my roof. One suggestion people make in the US is that excess production can be stored in the grid - this would be an impossibility in Argentina, it seems, with constant power cuts and the low level of infrastructure; so you'd be reliant on batteries, which seem to imply a ~30% loss in efficiency and far more hands-on maintenance. Has anyone else looked into this?

On mercadolibre I'm seeing 1.65x1m panels rated at 235 watts for about 4000 pesos.

In my case I could probably fit about 4 of these on my roof - 235 * 7 hours sunlight/day (optimistic average according to 2533 average sunlight hours/year) * 4 = 6500 wh/day = 195 kwh/month under absolutely optimal conditions, I'm guessing more like 120 under real world conditions, which would cover fridge some lights + some fans + internet router (my total average usage is closer to 400kwh/month). Not great but I could probably live with that - and desperate times call for desperate measures. Anyone have thoughts on this or done anything similar in their homes?

I see a couple people in this thread seem to be suggesting solar solutions, or have had experience living with that in other countries. I have no experience with it, but I'm looking into installing some panels (which are 2x as expensive in Argentina with limited selection) on part of my roof. One suggestion people make in the US is that excess production can be stored in the grid - this would be an impossibility in Argentina, it seems, with constant power cuts and the low level of infrastructure; so you'd be reliant on batteries, which seem to imply a ~30% loss in efficiency and far more hands-on maintenance. Has anyone else looked into this?

On mercadolibre I'm seeing 1.65x1m panels rated at 235 watts for about 4000 pesos.

In my case I could probably fit about 4 of these on my roof - 235 * 7 hours sunlight/day (optimistic average according to 2533 average sunlight hours/year) * 4 = 6500 wh/day = 195 kwh/month under absolutely optimal conditions, I'm guessing more like 120 under real world conditions, which would cover fridge some lights + some fans + internet router (my total average usage is closer to 400kwh/month). Not great but I could probably live with that - and desperate times call for desperate measures. Anyone have thoughts on this or done anything similar in their homes?

I'd love to do something like this, but i live in a flat in the city so there's no chance of that happening unfortunately. Good luck!

I wrote about this in another thread in answer to a member who lives in Chivilcoy.
It's entirely do-able, depending on location and cost.
Bearing in mind the sun seems to shine most of the time here, solar panels would definitely work.
In Spain we had four solar panels which generated about 1800W total. The storage were four deep cycle lead acid batteries.
Using an inverter, we were able to use a fridge, TV and PC simultaneously.
In order to supplement the solar power, I fitted a boat wind generator.
This is clean, renewable power and provided you're careful and monitor usage, it's pretty straightforward.
I've got some pics floating around somewhere and I'd do this all again in the blink of an eye.

No solidarity from people that have electricity ... .. shower with a friend,,,, share unused freezer space,,, invite elder for aircon space when away to work ....donate water jugs, water is not metered. Allow use of cooking facilities. love thy neighbor .. No trucks delivering water to people, worse than Haiti

Neighbors claim that when the media cameras shows a Barrio desperate senior ladies banging pots the power comes back..... !!! They disconnect another barrio....!! :D what an irony. !

An older lady protesting said when Boca wins 20,000 kids go to el Obelisco, no light here, and what we have here, a bunch of ailing senior citizens....!! protesting :eek:

Just praying for my transformer to resist....!! in the next hour I may be cutting the Avenida.....!!

,Question ?? all the protesters blocking the Avenidas seem like middle class?? the Countries are not affected??
A piquetero cutting the Delle Piane Freeway said " Esto es cosa de Negros" we do the dirty work but it benefits also the cheto ladies????

Back