Tango Teachers (Going Rate???)

Over priced. I suggest, no one pay more than 150 pesos per hour for any kind of private class in bA.

Ceviche, private tango classes are quite expensive. I've never heard of any by an established professional teacher for less. And there are a lot that cost much much more. I used to organize a milonga so know something about the subject!
But if you have a good teacher that is reputable and charges 150, please share!

My fantasy is to exchange my tango studio in MN with an Argentine instructor. S/he'd live and teach there, and I'd live here. I could make more money off or his/her labor there than I need to live in BA.

I forgot to mention Gerry, from Ireland, he is the best tango teacher in BsArs I know so far. Not only for those who don't speak Spanish.

http://luciaygerrytango.wordpress.com

Stupid expats pay higher prices and henceforth the teachers charge high prices.

Stupid expats think in US$....oh its just 5 bucks more....why not??..blah blah

Their are 100's of tango teachers in the city and available at the right price.

I use Sonia Peralta at 200 pesos per private class. Group classes before milongas are an excellent way to start. I'd reccomend private classes after you've had about 8-10 group ones. IMHO, Privates are most valuable for technique! And technique comes after you've had some knowledge of the basic concepts of connection, communication and steps. The classes at the milongas include entry to the milonga where you can practice with your fellow students, get familiar with the music, and watch others. Without practice taking private classes would be a waste of money for a beginner.

I've been dancing for about a year and have taken many, many group classes. It is pretty clear though that I won't progress very much if I don't start taking private classes. And I really do understand that tango teachers need to make a living and ought to be fairly compensated for their time. At the same time, I am not going to be a professional dancer. I am also not a tango tourist who is here for two weeks... so $50-100 USD per hour is therefore not part of my BA budget!

Thank you very much for the reference! I appreciate it.

Go to Carlitos and Rosita Perez class. Men and women are separated, it is all about technique. There is not other class with so many world champions as students.
If women take group classes, then you work as a taxi dancer for free.
And you need kms of dancing. Dance every night.
La viruta is for free we/th/sun after 1:30 and fri/ sat 3:30.
La glorieta is a la gorra, almost every day at 8.

If you don't speak spanish, what is the recommendation?
If you don't speak spanish, what is the recommendation?
I find that I learn more tango and Spanish with a Spanish speaking only teacher, I do not speak much Spanish.
It forces you to learn everything. Pretty soon, you learn all the terms in Tango. I took private classes from Sonia and she is good.

Hey!
If you are a woman, tango piola runs private lessons for 12usd an hour.
Google it. I have communicated with Christian the owner and he told me this info. I will be taking classes with him, although I'm already a good dancer.

And which of the four styles Christian includes on his resume are you going to ask for? Teachers are prepared to sell whatever tourists want to buy.

Women don't need classes in BA. They need to go to the milongas and dance with those who know how to dance well -- the milongueros.

I've been dancing for about a year and have taken many, many group classes. It is pretty clear though that I won't progress very much if I don't start taking private classes. And I really do understand that tango teachers need to make a living and ought to be fairly compensated for their time. At the same time, I am not going to be a professional dancer. I am also not a tango tourist who is here for two weeks... so $50-100 USD per hour is therefore not part of my BA budget!

Thank you very much for the reference! I appreciate it.

No one progresses taking group classes; each hour of class requires ten hours of practice. Are you going to practicas or practicing daily with your dance partner? If not, you're wasting time and money in classes. And you'll do the same in private lessons, no matter who is the instructor. Those who are known in the tango world or who have won a title can charge more than others, but that doesn't mean they are better teachers or dancers.

The secret to improving your dancing is simple: listen to the music all the time and get to love it. If you don't know the music, you're thinking about the steps and worrying about making a mistake; tango is about feeling the music and becoming one with your partner. How can you do that when you don't know the music you're dancing to?

Go to Carlitos and Rosita Perez class. Men and women are separated, it is all about technique. There is not other class with so many world champions as students.
If women take group classes, then you work as a taxi dancer for free.
And you need kms of dancing. Dance every night.
La viruta is for free we/th/sun after 1:30 and fri/ sat 3:30.
La glorieta is a la gorra, almost every day at 8.

Lejana wants to be a social dancer.

Champions come out of the Perez classes, then the couples go on to travel the world, teach their choreography at festivals, have a secure future in tango, wear beautiful clothes, without ever having to prove they can dance on a crowded milonga floor with random partners. They can only dance with one another.

Jantango!
I agree that the BEST way to improve is through milongas and dancing with good leaders. BUT if she wants to learn the basics then she will need private class.

As for those professional dancers, I completely agree that they usually dance so well together but not with others.. Also tango is about music and feeling, sometimes the prof dancers seem like they're just doing the fancy moves and kicks to show off , regardless of their oneness with the music. Just my opinion!

I disagree with you, Rosita Perez teachs technique, this is what women need.

Back