Tango Teachers (Going Rate???)

Jantango, there is not a truth about tango.

Raul Bravo is a profesional dancer not a milonguero (tango junkie). You comment is like to criticize the pope for not going to the synagogue every week. Perhaps he doesn't do it because the is catholic?!?!?

Your critics to Carlitos and Rosita Perez are no less than out of place. They are very generous teachers who are not money oriented and they don't give a sh...t if some foreigners thinks that a class where you just walk is boring. They do not teach bulls...t that is useless for social dance like almost everybody else do for making money.

Only the tango you know is good? Come on! Everybody respect them.

The girl who ask for advice goes to DNI. To start going to the Sunderland is a huge improve for her but to dance with 80's old guys probably is not in her menu as soon as she was learning tango "nuevo".

Tal cual. Raul Bravo danced for years in Mariano Mores' show. He never frequented the milongas and still doesn't nor does he have to. Who says he needs to frequent the milongas? Just because a couple like Carlitos and Rosita Perez are well liked and earned success later in life doesn't necessarily make them chantas. As far as them recently acting as judges in the competitions, I think many will agree that those are often fixed, but that doesn't take away from their ability to be good teachers.

Tal cual. Raul Bravo danced for years in Mariano Mores' show. He never frequented the milongas and still doesn't nor does he have to. Who says he needs to frequent the milongas? Just because a couple like Carlitos and Rosita Perez are well liked and earned success later in life doesn't necessarily make them chantas. As far as them recently acting as judges in the competitions, I think many will agree that those are often fixed, but that doesn't take away from their ability to be good teachers.

I always wonder why people who want to become social tango dancers attend classes with teachers who never go to the milongas to dance socially.

The tango championships have been fixed from the start. It has been noted that many of the champions were coached by Carlos Perez. A new rule was added that a judge can't score anyone who has been a student within the past six months of competition. Why do you suppose they have so many young people in their classes? A tango title is their ticket out of Argentina and a professional tango career.

Couples know they have to take privates with the judges to prepare for competition. Those who win are coached by Carlos Perez or Mariano Morales.

I always wonder why people who want to become social tango dancers attend classes with teachers who never go to the milongas to dance socially.

Well, this is my point of view: When you are learning, if you are smart, you can realize that there are some teachers who are specialized in something in particular. Teachers who don't waste your tipe with choreagraphies. If you want to improve your walk and embracement you take clases with Carlitos Perez, if you are concern about giros the master is Bravo, for social dancing without crashing Susana Miller tango school at El Beso is the best place to start taking clases, embracement for woman Yuyu Hererra and so on, 8 and walking Rosita Perez.

This more or less what people do.

Is it important if the teachers go to milonga or not? No, many of them are bored about milonga or tired after working the whole day about tango and they might also have a real life beside tango.

This is also true that there are too many teachers out there that sucks, but this is a different story.

Regarding women, they need to learn technique but, more important, instead of having private clases, they need to practize at home a lot every day and to dance a lot during night. There are too many women at Milonga who found their roof as dancers because they are too lazy or too arrogant to take clases or to walk around the chair to improve their giros.

Regarding the competitions, I don't know if you know but some years ago I made a class action that produced a change in the rules. That year there were 2 couples, the one who won the Metropolitano and the 3rd place of Tango Senior that were a shame. It was so fixed and I made such a scandal that the winners of the Metropolitano didn't show up at the Mundial even they have the right to go straight to the final.

http://www.wsj.com/a...456210544473444

Many winners come from Perez and Morales coaching because they are the best. The problem is when you have somebody like the winners of 2011 of the BA tango contest or the 3rd place in Tango Senior because they are dancers who, if we are polite, they are average at Milonga but, for sure, they are not the best of this city. By the way, they were not coached by Perez neither Morales.

My husband and I began tango by studying it privately in BA for 6 weeks a time each year for 6 years beginning in 2007 with Luciana Valle at her studio. She provided us each year enough material for us each time to practise back in Canada until the following year when we'd return to her. In the mid-90's, she had with Naveiro and Salas worked 3 years on a project of 'codifying' tango - breaking it down to its elements and so they saw other movements that naturally flowed from those. The teaching method the 3 of them developed is wrongly mistaken as being a dance style called "Tango Nuevo" when it is, in fact, only a teaching method. Luciana never uses that term for anything. To her, it is just tango. She teaches 100% technique only and never teaches 'patterns' which we hate in all dance styles. Patterns being taught in any dance signal a crappy instructor.

Luciana doesn't dance at milongas, is a dedicated teacher and has many partners. She doesn't need adverting. But we miss her and this thread moved my soul. I've never mentioned her on any forum until now.

In about 2004, she with Valencia Batiuk and another tanguera established a school with progressive levels of group courses and a weekly practica called "El Motivo" in Villa Malcolm and so I went to both of those on Mondays as well sometimes. She also holds 2-week intensives twice a year in BA taking about 12 students who are dancers and who book about a year in advance.

She also gives workshops in the few best tango cities of the US but we've not been to those. Our background had been US swing styles and 'new Hustle' -dances rooted in culture just as tango is - before we met her. We wouldn't learn tango in most of North America. It's false because most instructors learned in the 1980's horrible 'ballroom' style and don't want to know anything about how it's danced in BA. They lack connection. We were acually banned from milongas in Ottawa, Canada despite our dancing very simply. We even received phone calls from local instrutors ordering us to promise to never even visit BA ever again. Eventually, we helped a new group of dancers there who'd learned tango in various other countries to make a weekly milonga in a de-sanctified Chinese church. (We moved to France since then. Here tango is danced more like it is in BA.)
Have any of you been taught by or worked with Lucianar? I'd love to know if any of you have and your own opinion. She's young and so are most of her students but we aren't. We adored every minute with her. She's a tough instructor. We lived to get a couple of "Muy bien! " from her each year when we finally aced something.

Under new data protection law in Europe, most of the youtube videos of her dancing have been removed from viewing at least here in France!! There's also one with her dancing with Pupi Castello, and other partners such as Alex Krebbs in Portland.

I don't know of her but I've been to El Motivo! I'll be sure to look out for her classes.

When you finish work, do you usually want to go to a work-related function? Or go home and relax or visit your friends. Just because a teacher who spends all day teaching, and chooses to go home instead of to a milonga, doesn't mean they don't know how to dance social tango. It's like being a professional tennis player and having a friend ask you to play a set with their other friend who is just starting to learn to play tennis.

Each year there are couples entered in the tango salon and tango ensenario competitions, hoping to place in either or both. Tango salon is exhibition tango for these young couples, and after winning a championship title they perform their choreography on stage (i.e. Daniel Nacucchio & Christina Sosa). Social tango exists only in the milongas.

Tango professionals know many others in the same profession. They work together all the time, and they go to socialize (not dance) with friends at tango dance clubs like Sunderland.

Going to the milonga in Buenos Aires is just part of business for most tango professionals. It's where they are seen by potential students.

Going to the milonga in Buenos Aires is just part of business for most tango professionals. It's where they are seen by potential students.

It is if they need to promote themselves and fish for students and are obliged to accompany as well as dance with their students. Some teachers don't have that need and already have a steady flow of loyal students.

Back