Tango Teachers (Going Rate???)

Jantango!
I agree that the BEST way to improve is through milongas and dancing with good leaders. BUT if she wants to learn the basics then she will need private class.

As for those professional dancers, I completely agree that they usually dance so well together but not with others.. Also tango is about music and feeling, sometimes the prof dancers seem like they're just doing the fancy moves and kicks to show off , regardless of their oneness with the music. Just my opinion!

If Lejana hasn't learned the basics after taking many group classes, there is something terribly wrong with the teaching. Women who dance with the teacher in a private lesson learn how to dance well with the teacher. That doesn't help in the milongas where every man dances differently.

Sometimes? Professionals do their fancy moves to entice people to take privates to learn the moves. Those fancy moves are for exhibition, not for the milonga.

I disagree with you, Rosita Perez teachs technique, this is what women need.

Women need practice dancing with men who dance well, not a women's technique class that sells embellishments to make women believe they look like tango dancers.

Tango is a partner dance.

While social dancing is the bread and butter of getting better, I see and feel the most improvement in my own level taking technique classes and private classes focusing on technique. I take group classes at DNI in Almagro (live just next to it) and really enjoy them, the teachers explain the technique really well and focus more on that than on steps. I also took a private class with Majo for 300 pesos which reorganized a lot of my posture - I definitely recommend her. There is a group tecnica class on Thursday at 7pm for 70p also, which is great if Dana gives it and okay without - however you don't get as much one on one attention as I'd like, so I'm hesitant to recommend it although I like the class.

Bajo_Cero, do you know where/when Rosita Perez gives tecnica classes? I'm interested in trying some new tecnica classes with different instructors.

And which of the four styles Christian includes on his resume are you going to ask for? Teachers are prepared to sell whatever tourists want to buy.

Women don't need classes in BA. They need to go to the milongas and dance with those who know how to dance well -- the milongueros.

No one progresses taking group classes; each hour of class requires ten hours of practice. Are you going to practicas or practicing daily with your dance partner? If not, you're wasting time and money in classes. And you'll do the same in private lessons, no matter who is the instructor. Those who are known in the tango world or who have won a title can charge more than others, but that doesn't mean they are better teachers or dancers.

The secret to improving your dancing is simple: listen to the music all the time and get to love it. If you don't know the music, you're thinking about the steps and worrying about making a mistake; tango is about feeling the music and becoming one with your partner. How can you do that when you don't know the music you're dancing to?

Lejana wants to be a social dancer.

Champions come out of the Perez classes, then the couples go on to travel the world, teach their choreography at festivals, have a secure future in tango, wear beautiful clothes, without ever having to prove they can dance on a crowded milonga floor with random partners. They can only dance with one another.

Do you know Rosita and Carlos Perez? They don't teach choreography. They're well known for teaching classes based on walking, walking and more walking. Only then will they teach you anything else. Yes, many "champions" got back to their class to polish their walking skills.

While social dancing is the bread and butter of getting better, I see and feel the most improvement in my own level taking technique classes and private classes focusing on technique. I take group classes at DNI in Almagro (live just next to it) and really enjoy them, the teachers explain the technique really well and focus more on that than on steps. I also took a private class with Majo for 300 pesos which reorganized a lot of my posture - I definitely recommend her. There is a group tecnica class on Thursday at 7pm for 70p also, which is great if Dana gives it and okay without - however you don't get as much one on one attention as I'd like, so I'm hesitant to recommend it although I like the class.

Bajo_Cero, do you know where/when Rosita Perez gives tecnica classes? I'm interested in trying some new tecnica classes with different instructors.

They use to give classes in Club Sunderland in Villa Urquiza. Google and you'll find what time their classes are.

Their practica

http://www.hoy-milonga.com/buenos-aires/milongaDetails.php?this=Practica-Carlos-&-Rosa-Pérez**Monday,-December-15,-2014-in-Buenos-Aires&mEventID=38119&said=938745234509

and a recent video of their dancing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yANaNgZZVLI

I just finished watching the video of Carlos and Rosita. Wonderful! Such simplicity, elegance, feeling! That says it for me.
We each must find our own way in tango, as in life. Tango means different thing to different people and in my opinion, that is the way it should be.
A person who started to dance in Buenos Aires at age 15, and is still dancing at 70 probably has different approach to tango than a 40 year old who lives in the United States and started to dance tango after seeing " Tango Agentino" in the '80s. As in other aspects of life each person believes that they have found the "truth". So DNI is different from Gustavo Naviero, and is different from Ana Maria Schapira.
If I could walk as well as Carlos, know the music as well as he does, I still could not dance like him. And that is the way it has to be.
i gave up dancing other dances when I found tango, but for some dancing tango is part of their total experience which includes swing, salsa,etc

Yes, I get a little weary of school of tango snobbery - While I love the classes I've been taking and I think Dana Frigoli is a wonderful dancer, she's not the only wonderful dancer. I don't have to put down other styles to enjoy her training and neither do I have to renounce what I think of her to experience a different teacher and style. Part of the beauty of being here is being able to learn from so many of the best! But the constant negative back and forth of "THAT school? God, only for tourists" "THAT dancer? That's just tricks and acrobatics, not tango." "THAT leader? Only caminata, so boring" is tiring and says more about the speaker than who they are criticising.

That video was great! I love seeing people change roles and having fun.

Just this weekend I saw Sabrina and Ruben Veliz, they were amazing! This video is not the best quality but it gets the point across:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8jEdUPGBus

Mondays and Wednesdays at Sunderland Club at 8 PM.

Walking clases are boring BUT this is the difference between learning here or abroad and guess where they dance better...

One advice, Carlitos and Rosita are going to ignore you because they don' like to waste their time. One day he/she is going to give a small advice. If you don't follow the advice as a soldier follow and order, they are going to ignore you for ever.

If you follow the advice, they are going to continue and these small advices are going to change you dancing a lot.

The big deal in BA is to learn from masters like them instead of young people.

Back