Tango Teachers (Going Rate???)

Carlos Perez

I saw him judging the Campeonato Metropolitano in 2005, but he may have judged before that year. He appeared on Solo Tango TV in the series "Codigos de Milongas" in 2006, where he said he danced from 1953-1964. He returned to tango in 1994 with his wife Rosa Forte after a 30-year absence. They've been dancing and teaching for the past 20 years.

Buenos Aires has two tango worlds -- one in the neighborhood clubs (like Sunderland) and one in the city center. The simple style of the city is a lead/follow dance between strangers in the moment.

I do not know how to respond to "Tango Pete, do you know what Pete Means here?"
when I was choosing a name for this forum, I remembered a line from a song, "They call me Cuban Pete, I'm the king of the rhumba beat"
I changed Cuban To Tango.
I started to learn/dance tango at age 75.some years back.

I studied with Raul Bravo, who still teaches. He also teaches tango al reves.
https://www.youtube....h?v=sT_IHzuo0OU
For those who think that tango in the gold age was was simple and just about walking have to watch this video.
https://www.youtube....h?v=x6yM305b0D8

Raul Bravo teaches, but he doesn't go to the milongas. I dance regularly with men who are 80+ in the milonga, older than Raul. In the first video, he and Todaro didn't finish a tango because they were tired. That style takes endurance.

The second video shows a woman running in circles around Raul. The Todaro style featured the man in tango doing turns, etc. Tango is changing with the times.

Jantango, there is not a truth about tango.

Raul Bravo is a profesional dancer not a milonguero (tango junkie). You comment is like to criticize the pope for not going to the synagogue every week. Perhaps he doesn't do it because the is catholic?!?!?

Your critics to Carlitos and Rosita Perez are no less than out of place. They are very generous teachers who are not money oriented and they don't give a sh...t if some foreigners thinks that a class where you just walk is boring. They do not teach bulls...t that is useless for social dance like almost everybody else do for making money.

Only the tango you know is good? Come on! Everybody respect them.

The girl who ask for advice goes to DNI. To start going to the Sunderland is a huge improve for her but to dance with 80's old guys probably is not in her menu as soon as she was learning tango "nuevo".

Thank you Bajo-cero,
No more posts from Tango Pete, I will now change my name.
Your statement "there is not a truth about tango", says it all for me. We each must find our own truth in tango and everything else.

Carlos Perez

I saw him judging the Campeonato Metropolitano in 2005, but he may have judged before that year. He appeared on Solo Tango TV in the series "Codigos de Milongas" in 2006, where he said he danced from 1953-1964. He returned to tango in 1994 with his wife Rosa Forte after a 30-year absence. They've been dancing and teaching for the past 20 years.

Buenos Aires has two tango worlds -- one in the neighborhood clubs (like Sunderland) and one in the city center. The simple style of the city is a lead/follow dance between strangers in the moment.

The simple tango in the center was created a long time ago when people would go to a baile del centro after work to pick up a woman and dance close to her while performing rather simple steps since the men really didn't know how to dance well. The real bailes were in the neighborhoods in the outskirts of the cities where couples would practice sequences at home and often there were neighborhood competitions. Today the simple, walking tango style is taught as a "product", but ask a milonguero (not in the now commercialized Sunderland), but rather in Avellaneda or even in Mataderos and they will tell you a different story.

Back