Taxi increase again

I've been taken on Gringo rides and it's the principle of being cheated that makes me mad!

I don't mind paying, and I even tip nicely, even though it's not required, that is, if I haven't been taken on a Gringo ride. Unfortunately, my Spanish is too poor to argue effectively with the guy.

Do the tourist police care if you make a report? How about a driver who's extremely rude and drives like a madman? My son, his friend and I rode with our mouths open on the ride home last night.

Do you think this tactic might work in BA ... on entering the cab say, "If you give me a good direct ride, I'll give you a nice tip." I don't know enough about the Porteno culture to know if this would be effective, or backfire.

victoria said:
I've been taken on Gringo rides and it's the principle of being cheated that makes me mad!

I don't mind paying, and I even tip nicely, even though it's not required, that is, if I haven't been taken on a Gringo ride. Unfortunately, my Spanish is too poor to argue effectively with the guy.

Do the tourist police care if you make a report? How about a driver who's extremely rude and drives like a madman? My son, his friend and I rode with our mouths open on the ride home last night.

Do you think this tactic might work in BA ... on entering the cab say, "If you give me a good direct ride, I'll give you a nice tip." I don't know enough about the Porteno culture to know if this would be effective, or backfire.

If you feel the taxi driver is driving badly or that you are being "taken for a ride" why don't you get out? Have the driver stop somewhere where you see there are other taxis and take another one.

I think your idea to say "you'll get a tip if you take a direct route" is rude & implies that every taxi driver is dishonest.

Personally, in the year I've been here I've had 3 unpleasant taxi rides. I've never been on a "gringo ride". In fact one time I was getting quite aggravated and convinced I was being taken on a "gringo ride" until I took that route again & learned that a ride from the two points I had take did in fact cost that much.

The other two were one guy who was having a really bad day spewing anger from his pores & I could feel it. It was extremely unpleasant. The yet a third taxista kept telling me "you should NEVER never take a taxi off the street" when in fact I HAD flagged him down on the street. I though "Ok, now I'm dead. He's going to show me exactly why I should never flag down a taxi on the street". In the end it was fine. Just creepy.

Those are the three bad taxi experiences I've had in BA and one of them was me thinking I was being over charged.

Don't bother to tip unless it's an amazing ride. Also, if you have a fair thats like 12.16 peso, just pay them 12.

arty said:
Don't bother to tip unless it's an amazing ride. Also, if you have a fair thats like 12.16 peso, just pay them 12.

I find your quotes and comments on Buenos Aires Taxi drivers greedy and arrogant. As is they are here to serve the rich tourist his every whim . Most make a very basic living for a hard hard job of average 12 hour days.

What do you say about the doctors that charge US 300 to US 1000 per hour this is justified just because they happen to have a white coat.

Cabrera,

We're not talking about doctors ... we're talking about rude and cheating cab drivers!

Basic human decency is something one should expect from anyone you give your business to ... I'd gladly pay a better fare if I'm not yelled at cheated, taken for a ride and have my live endangered by reckless driving.

BA has to "step up to the plate" if they want tourist business. I know I will never visit Rome again because of my experience with the taxi pirates.

cabrera said:
I find your quotes and comments on Buenos Aires Taxi drivers greedy and arrogant. As is they are here to serve the rich tourist his every whim . Most make a very basic living for a hard hard job of average 12 hour days.

What do you say about the doctors that charge US 300 to US 1000 per hour this is justified just because they happen to have a white coat.

every whim? all i want is to go from point a to point b.

doctors go to school for years to learn their trade.

driving a car and being a doctor are 2 very different skill sets.

I've had a few bad taxi cab drivers in BsAs... but they don't even compare to the JERKS in New York City.

99% of the time in BsAs, they don't give me a ride around the city, don't talk to me, and get me where I need to be -- just how I like it! One of my friends had the unfortunate experience of witnessing the cab driver masturbating as she was getting out of the car... gross. I guess I would have been OK with it if the cabbies here all had to look like Enrique Iglesias... :p

victoria said:
Cabrera,

We're not talking about doctors ... we're talking about rude and cheating cab drivers!

Basic human decency is something one should expect from anyone you give your business to ... I'd gladly pay a better fare if I'm not yelled at cheated, taken for a ride and have my live endangered by reckless driving.

BA has to "step up to the plate" if they want tourist business. I know I will never visit Rome again because of my experience with the taxi pirates.

Ba Taxi Drivers are known to me amongst the Best and most honest in the world and most argentinians find tourists like you Victoria rude . In the USA they scam you often and especially if a doctor gets his eyes on you 10000 dollars for an emergency consultation in a USA hospital is common.

You sound like a disgruntled taxi driver and I have NEVER been rude to a driver and I have been disrespected at least six times by taxi drivers (and I mean yelled at). Some also haven't a clue where an location might be, and I'm talking well known locations.

Sure, there are nice ones ... there are ones I've sung rock and roll with over the radio, flirted with, tried my limited Spanish with, tipped well.

Anyway, I'm not getting into a pissing match with you anymore. You can go on and on about American doctors and taxi drivers.

I ALWAYS know where I am going and how to get there in a cab. I'm not afraid to ask where they are going the second they make a wrong turn. The only time I've been on a gringo ride the guy clearly didn't know where he was going and was sorry - took a wrong turn over a bridge...I offered to pay him what it normally cost for the same ride and he was fine with it. I've also never gotten in a cab expecting to change a 100 peso bill and the only time I've gotten in with a 50 I've asked up front if they have change. Protect yourself by knowing the city...look it up the route on google maps beforehand if you're unsure.

Back