Tea - REAL tea - where?

John.St

Registered
Does anyone know where to buy real tea?
- and from a store, which is willing to ship to the provinces?

When I am in my British mood, I enjoy my rashers (panceta ahumada) and fried eggs for breakfast, but sorely miss a nice cup of tea.

Out here in Mendoza they have only 1 (one :() quality of tea - excepting Mate which is definitely an aquired taste), so I am not talking about those 'drowned mouse' thingies (you lift the the poor drowned mouse out of the mug by its tail, which carries a label on it) but real tea?

By real tea I mean something like 'Darjeeling Second Flush' aka. 'Darjeeling Tippy Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe' - I may even stoop to qualities like 'Flowery Orange Pekoe First Grade' or even 'Orange Pekoe' if must be - but never the 'Dust and Fannings' used in drowned mice.

Anyone, please - you'll almost save my life if you can tell me.

I have a very cheap palate, and don't like anything but "drowned mouse" black tea, (and flip out whenever I get offered Earl Grey in exchange!) but I've read about this Argentine tea expert woman called Inés Berton. She is the owner of Tealosophy and is known for making great blends. Look her up, I believe she has a store in Patio Bullrich. I really don't know if she delivers, but it's a start...

Saludos

You can get Twinings at Jumbo but that's in BA and it's crazy expensive
Anyone know if tea at Tea Connection in Recoleta is good?

nativexpat said:
... (and flip out whenever I get offered Earl Grey in exchange!)
You are dead right about Earl Grey - disgustin' perfumed stuff - wouldn't even use it to clean my toilet (use Bacardi rum for that, wearing rubber gloves :D 'cause someone - whom I'll never invite to my birthday party again - presented me with a bottle ).

nativexpat said:
... Inés Berton. She is the owner of Tealosophy and is know for making great blends. Look her up, I believe she has a store in Patio Bullrich...
Saludos

EvergreenGal said:
http://www.tealosophy.com/

Here is the link to the above for mentioned..and you can click onto an English version if you need to... Best of luck!!

*I stocked up before the move on my favorite teas!!
So did I, but I ran out after 8 months.

Thanx to you both, I'll try la Inés - I have to survive until Christmas, before I pay a visit to the old country to meet an almost new granddaughter (November 2008 model) for the first time and restock tea, Super Piratos (oh, I would kill to lay my hands on a bag of those:cool:) + a few other items.

nativexpat said:
I have a very cheap palate, and don't like anything but "drowned mouse" black tea,...
In that case, take my advice and never ever try something like 'Darjeeling Tippy Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe' - you'll get addicted.

Don't worry John, the words flowery and orange, when applied to tea, already make me nauseous. Don't like strong perfumed teas, unless they are minty.

When I say "cheap palate" I really mean boring.

nativexpat said:
Don't worry John, the word .. orange, when applied to tea, already make me nauseous. ...
Careful - when it comes to 'Orange Pekoe' and 'Flowery' they have nothing to do with oranges or perfume - it is a quality designation:

Orange Pekoe - ordinary grade.
Flowery Orange Pekoe - good quality.
Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe - first grade.
Tippy Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe - same as Second Flush in Darjeeling - very high quality leaves.
Finest Tippy Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe - same as First Flush in Darjeeling - the best quite a lot of money can buy (e.g. AR$ 600 el kilo).

zork said:
You can get Twinings at Jumbo but that's in BA and it's crazy expensive
Anyone know if tea at Tea Connection in Recoleta is good?

1) Re: Twinings found in Buenos Aires:

I had some Twinings from England last November with some English friends and it was so good, I bought a big box of Twinings saquitos from DISCO. :(

Not even close!!

The flavor is nothing compared to the stuff from England. Same company, completely different quality level of the tea.

I had a friend bring me back Twinings from England (the kind of bags without strings) and again the tea was great. I have since had someone else bring back PG Tips and I will open that soon. I'm also going to the States and plan to bring back more PG Tips (which is imported from England).

The Tea Connection probably carries that "INTE ZEN" line. I just bought some to try it out. It's EXPENSIVE and not that great. AR$13-ish for 15 saquitos. Don't buy it.

For an alternative to English Breakfast Tea:

I would recommend going to Chinatown (if they have one) and buying the local black tea or red tea and giving that a shot.

For that other stuff, I can't help you.

EvergreenGal said:
http://www.tealosophy.com/

Here is the link to the above for mentioned ...
Well, nice try, but no cigar.

I just received the below answer from Tealosophy:

"Tenemos Darjeeling Imperial, pero lamentablemente no realizamos envíos a domicilio. Lo que le propongo es que alguien le retire su pedido por nuestro local de Av. Alvear y se lo envié a la provincia de Mendoza."

As in 'We do have Darjeeling Imperial, but unfortunately we do not deliver. What we suggest is that somebody buy it in our shop and and send it to MDZ'.

I'll have to drive to BsAs or fly to La Serena, Chile, where I know a decent tea shop - or simply wait patiently until december and my trip to Danmark.

You can't win'm all - why, you can't even break even.

Back