The Best Reason Now To Be An Expat In Argentina...

Yeah, I saw that some years ago, just posted to YouTube under a different name - Nobody Cares About You. But it's the same three minutes of brutal truth that so many sheep are still denying.

Princeton actually did a study to prove this:

[font=Lucida Grande']Despite the seemingly strong empirical support in previous studies for theories of majoritarian democracy, our analyses suggest that majorities of the American public actually have little influence over the policies our government adopts. Americans do enjoy many features central to democratic governance, such as regular elections, freedom of speech and association, and a widespread (if still contested) franchise. But we believe that if policymaking is dominated by powerful business organizations and a small number of affluent Americans, then America’s claims to being a democratic society are seriously threatened.[/font]

[font=Lucida Grande']These results suggest that reality is best captured by mixed theories in which both individual economic elites and organized interest groups (including corporations, largely owned and controlled by wealthy elites) play a substantial part in affecting public policy, but the general public has little or no independent influence.[/font]

[font=Lucida Grande']In our 1,779 policy cases, narrow pro-change majorities of the public got the policy changes they wanted only about 30% of the time. More strikingly, even overwhelmingly large pro-change majorities, with 80% of the public favoring a policy change, got that change only about 43% of the time.[/font]

[font=Lucida Grande']- From a recent study titled Testing Theories of American Politics: Elites, Interest Groups, and Average Citizens by Martin Gilens of Princeton University and Benjamin I. Page of Northwestern University[/font]

I would just add with the Supreme Court removing any restrictions on political donations this situation will actually get even worse. Sorry to be a buzz kill but you better get used to it.

Do you actually know the facts behind what you refer to as my outdated and uninspired position?

Less than one million of the seven million who signed up fo Obamacare during the open enrollment period were previously uninsured.

The vast majority were those who already had insurance and were thrown off policies that did not comply with the new law.

Laws can be changed and the subject is not moot.

Obama has been changing the law since it went in effect, in spite of the fact that he has no Constitutional power to do so.

Many laws have been changed in the history of the United States, including some very significant ones.

Just to cite a few examples:

Segregation and prohibition (of alcohol) were once the law.

And abortion was once a criminal act.

It was even illegal for US citizens to own gold (with relatively small exceptions) for about 40 years during the 20th Century.

BA Expats may not be able to find Dr. Pepper, but they know where to come for Ayn"s Kool-Aid.

Yeah, I saw that some years ago, just posted to YouTube under a different name - Nobody Cares About You. But it's the same three minutes of brutal truth that so many sheep are still denying.

Tom, the video is absolutely spot on. I couldn't agree more. In fact that's why I keep saying Obama is not the solution. Have I ever said that Republican or Tea Party candidates are any better? Of course not. Please try to find one instance in which I say something in favor of republicans. I simply have strong opinions on abortion and against the hoax that is Obamacare and the entire Obama presidency. People assume that automatically makes me a "wingnut". Nothing farther from the truth. It's just that dreaded us vs them mentality. You also say we should be united. Again Tom, I couldn't agree more. That applies to these forums as much as it applies to our entire nation, as it should apply to mankind. Sadly that isn't the case. I know you and Nancy are open minded individuals, and so am I. Where I do disagree with Carlin is on the abortion issue. Even in that matter there should be some willingness to compromise but again mankind has a very radical, cookie cutter, all or nothing mentality that has caused many wars and hardship throughout history.

Millions of Americans are losing the plans the president promised they could keep.

Obamacare isn't about health care.

It's about power and control.

And I posted about this in this forum years ago.

This just happens to be completely false......and yes, I know many of the facts since I have a degree in insurance and in healthcare....and have come cara to cara with so many without insurance.

This just happens to be completely false......and yes, I know many of the facts since I have a degree in insurance and in healthcare....and have come cara to cara with so many without insurance.

As the plan was being "debated" the lowest "estimated" number of uninsured American citizens that I can remember was 20 million.

Even if ALL seven million of the recent enrollees in Obamacare did not previously have insurance, that still leaves 13 million uninsured citizens.

If the plan is working so well and all the horror stories are lies (as Harry Reid has declared), why aren't those 13 million now insured?

The biggest myth since the enrollment period ended is that 7 million of previously uninsured Americans now have health insurance.

Things will get worse for millions more when the provisions that have been delayed by presidential decree until after the elections are finally implemented.

It will get even worse than that as more and more doctors just say no.

I nominate this topic as being home to the most off topic replies of the century.

Ayn acolyte's are not so much liars as they are willfully ignorant misanthropes.

Would you just drop the Ayn rhetoric? Don't you see that it only makes you seem more irrational than you actually are?

I nominate this topic as being home to the most off topic replies of the century.

Since the topic was originally about Obamacare and why it is a good reason too be an expat in Argentina where private health care is very good and reasonably priced, it would be interesting to know which "off topic" replies you are referring to.

Reactions: Joe
Back