The infamous CUIL

cassiem13

Registered
Hi everyone,

I've been in BsAs for only 2 weeks, I'm here on a tourist visa, and was planning on extending (where do I do that again?) every six months and then hopping over to Uruguay every six months (alternating between the two), to stay legal. This will work, right?

Okay, but that's not my main question. My new employer told me today that they will help me get a CUIL so I can work legally. I know there is a lot of information on this site about it, but none of it seems to really apply to my situation, so I'd love any other info you can pass along. Sorry to be asking for this, yet again!

I can get a CUIL with just a tourist visa, right? And I'll still have to renew the tourist visa every 3 months, since it's my understanding that a CUIL is NOT the same as a work visa. It just allows me to pay taxes, basically, right? But I don't need temporary nor permanent residency... and my tourist visa is transitory, yeah? And do I need a CDI to get a CUIL?

Also, I was told that I can have a copy/scan of my birth certificate sent (I didn't bring it with me), and then the US Embassy here can apostillize (or whatever that word is) and certify it for me. That doesn't really sound right tho...??

Finally, I need a copy of my clean criminal record. Is it even possible to get that sent to me here?

This all sounds very expensive, but I'm assuming they'll be paying for it....

Thanks!! Sorry this is such a long post, I've been researching this stuff for hours and I'm more confused than when I started.

PS oh yeah—once I have the CUIL I can work at any job with it, right? Do you think it will be easier to get work if I have one (will it be an asset)?

Eh...don't you mean jump over to uruguay every 3 months, not 6? We just got a 90 day turist visa..and I don't think it's a special case for Norwegians.

Kyra said:
Eh...don't you mean jump over to uruguay every 3 months, not 6? We just got a 90 day turist visa..and I don't think it's a special case for Norwegians.

Yes, well Uruguay every 6 months, and do an in-country extension every 6 months. So some form of extension/renewal every three. For example, go to the immigration office and extend the visa in 3 months from now, then to Uruguay 3 months after that, then 3 months later go to the immigration office, then Uruguay (6 months after the initial Uruguay visit), etc...

Hope that makes some sorta sense! :)

Ah, right! I thought you meant going to Uruguay after 6 months, and then extending your visa after 6 new months. My bad! :)

Your really should have taken care of the apostille and stuff before you got here. There's a lot of hassle involved. But, if the embassy can do it, that's fabolous! And another friend of mine got her papers sent here. In Norway we don't even have to be there to get the papers stamped, you can just mail it to them, and provide an envelope with the address and correct stampage for the return.

cassiem13 said:
Hi everyone,

I've been in BsAs for only 2 weeks, I'm here on a tourist visa, and was planning on extending (where do I do that again?) every six months and then hopping over to Uruguay every six months (alternating between the two), to stay legal. This will work, right?

Okay, but that's not my main question. My new employer told me today that they will help me get a CUIL so I can work legally. I know there is a lot of information on this site about it, but none of it seems to really apply to my situation, so I'd love any other info you can pass along. Sorry to be asking for this, yet again!

I can get a CUIL with just a tourist visa, right? And I'll still have to renew the tourist visa every 3 months, since it's my understanding that a CUIL is NOT the same as a work visa. It just allows me to pay taxes, basically, right? But I don't need temporary nor permanent residency... and my tourist visa is transitory, yeah? And do I need a CDI to get a CUIL?

Also, I was told that I can have a copy/scan of my birth certificate sent (I didn't bring it with me), and then the US Embassy here can apostillize (or whatever that word is) and certify it for me. That doesn't really sound right tho...??

Finally, I need a copy of my clean criminal record. Is it even possible to get that sent to me here?

This all sounds very expensive, but I'm assuming they'll be paying for it....

Thanks!! Sorry this is such a long post, I've been researching this stuff for hours and I'm more confused than when I started.

PS oh yeah—once I have the CUIL I can work at any job with it, right? Do you think it will be easier to get work if I have one (will it be an asset)?

Your confusion is understandable. Your employer isn't the first to offer to help a member of this forum get a CUIL (from AFIP), but they should first help you apply for a work visa at migraciones. I personally know two expats who were not successful in getting a CUIL with only a tourist visa, and I don't recall anyone posting that they received the CUIL without having first received a work visa. You cannot legally work here without a work visa. It's that simple.

The papers you mentioned (birth certificate and criminal report) are actually required to get a work visa. It may be possible to get a CUIL and start work without a DNI, but I doubt it's possible with only a tourist visa and in order to get a work visa I believe that your specific job must be approved in advance (as part of the visa application process). You can't just get a work visa and go job hunting. I don't think having a CDI will help you obtain a CUIL, either.

You can get the 90 day extension of your tourist visa at the prorrogas de permanencia sector at the office of migraciones at Av. Antártida Argentina 1355 (near Retiro station). Be sure to go before it expires. The cost of the renewal is $200 pesos.

Thank you so much, that really helps.

I'm not really sure how serious my employer is about it, to be honest. I already started (paid) training this week, and they just brought it up today. I asked if the CUIL was the same as a work visa, and they said no... So I don't really see the point of me getting it except for to pay taxes, etc. Yes, I'll be in the "system" which I guess is good, but if I still have to renew my tourist visa all the time then I don't really see the point. It's still illegal for me to work without a work visa, even with a CUIL, yes?

I'm kinda thinking that this is a formality, that they have to try to help me get it. My trainer, though, even seems a little confused by everything. And I was told nothing of this as a condition of my employment (like I said, I started work this week), so... yeah.

Do you know anything about getting a criminal report? Or what this apostille thing is I keep hearing about? Again, my trainer said a copy/scan of my birth certificate would do, and then I could get it certified at the Embassy here, but that doesn't sound like it's gonna fly.

I'm looking at enrolling in a grad program in 2011 (¡ojalá!), and I have no problem being on a tourist visa until then, at which point I'll switch to student visa. And I could work legally on a student visa, yes? Although at the moment that's not really my burning question.

I guess mostly I'll just have to see what happens with my employer. I just want to be educated on it before I start jumping through hoops.

Unless you are the first foreign employee at your workplace I would expect your employer to "know" the answers to your questions. Without a work visa you will be working in negro and that implies greater risk of negative consequences to your employer than to you (from AFIP). I believe it is possible to get a CUIT without a work visa, but not a CUIL (though I never tried).

A CUIL is needed if you are working en blanco. A CUIT is provided to those who have temporary residency in Argentina this includes those with the visa rentista or pensionado as well as those with investor visas.

You actually need to get two criminal reports: one from the USA (if you are from there) and one from Argentina (even if you just arrived). It's easy to get the report for Argentina but more problematic to get the FBI report from the states. You can get a fingerprint card at the US Consulate and have your fingerprints taken at either the comisaria (police station) nearest your present domicile or the central police station if the local one won't do it for you. Then you have to send the card to the US and wait up to six(?) weeks for it to be processed. Hopefully, someone who has recently done this will provide more detailed information.

The Apostille is an "international certification" of a public (notarized) document such as birth certificate or even a letter from bank officer or CPA (necessary for a visa rentista or pensionado). The Apostille can be done by the Secretary of State of the state where the document was originally issued/signed. It is possible in some states to request a birth certificate as well as the Apostille online and (using a service like verisign),the total cost can be about $50-$60, including UPS expedited service (within the USA). Of course the cost would be greater to have the docs sent to Argentina. Companies like www.apostille.com do it all for a flat fee. You can learn a lot by reading the information on their website even if you don't use their service.

You will need the Apostille for the FBI report and birth certificate. They will also need to be translated and legalized here before presenting them to migraciones.

steveinbsas said:
You actually need to get two criminal reports: one from the USA (if you are from there) and one from Argentina (even if you just arrived). It's easy to get the report for Argentina but more problematic to get the FBI report from the states. You can get a fingerprint card at the US Consulate and have your fingerprints taken at either the comisaria (police station) nearest your present domicile or the central police station if the local one won't do it for you. Then you have to send the card to the US and wait up to six(?) weeks for it to be processed. Hopefully, someone who has recently done this will provide more detailed information.

I did this about 8 months ago and had the fingerprints taken at the Police Station closest to the Plaza Italia Subte Station on Santa Fe.

You can get all the information that you need from this site (mailing address, required cover letter and how to pay the $18.00 fee.)

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm

Just a quick note - the visa renewal fee is 300 pesos, not 200.

And I'm confused. You can't work without a work visa (legally) so is your employer going to assist you with that? If not, and they are paying you en negro, why bother at all?

citygirl said:
Just a quick note - the visa renewal fee is 300 pesos, not 200.

And I'm confused. You can't work without a work visa (legally) so is your employer going to assist you with that? If not, and they are paying you en negro, why bother at all?

Thanks for the correction, citygirl. The "renewal" (90 day extension) fee did increase from $100 to $300 pesos this year. It's worth adding that it's now significantly cheaper to go to Uruguay, at least on Monday through Thursday than pay for the extension.

Back