The worst pizza in the world?

ssr said:
Someone had told me some nonsense about how good Argentine bakeries are when I first arrived in Argentina so I was certainly disappointed when I discovered that they stuff everything with dulce de leche. It's just cheap goop. Maybe a bit every now and then isn't so bad, but not in the quantities that Argentines eat the stuff.
I was at an asado this evening and someone brought pasteles (pastries). And after it had gotten dark, some girl (Argentine I think) went over to the table to grab one, but couldn't see what she was grabbing.

When she finally said- "I can't see what's here."

I responded- "Does it really matter? It's all the same crap anyway, just in different shapes."

And she admitted- "I guess you're right."

I recently ate what is considered by foodies the "best" pizza in Seattle.
It is a small chain called Via Tribunale, which is certified by the city of Naples, Italy, as being authentic.
They bring real Neopolitan pizza oven builders over to build the brick ovens, which cost about $100,000 (dollars, not pesos) each.
They import italian canned tomatos, cheese, and other ingredients.

http://www.viatribunali.net/

The pizza is pretty darn good.
But here's the rub.
A margherita costs eleven bucks. Plus 10% tax, and a tip, and in Seattle, people give you the stinkeye if you dont tip 20%.
Figure $14 or so, for a pizza. No drink.
Thats around $55 Pesos.

Average bill, per person, is more like 20 bucks, if you dont drink alcohol, 30 if you do. this is not a white tablecloth, fancy joint- its a neighborhood pizza place, a couple steps up from UGI, but not exclusive or high end.

Its competition include places like Serious Pie-
again, really good pizza, at a really high price-
http://tomdouglas.com/index.php?page=serious-pie
most of their pizzas are $16 dollars, thats $60 pesos, mas o menos.
these are "personal" pizzas- big enough for two to share, if you get one of their eight dollar salads and five dollar beers, but not huge by any means.

I am trying to imagine how a place that charged $50 to $60 (pesos) for a pizza would do in BsAs.
And I am guessing not very well.

I think when comparing the taste, and quality, of a pizza from Italy or the US with Buenos Aires, you have to also figure in the cost.

So what is the current price of a pizza at a nice place in BA?

Um.. Ries, have you ordered pizza lately? It's not cheap at all.

I'm looking at Romario right now and for a large plain mozarella - it's 35 pesos. For a napolitana - it's 55 pesos. The most expensive is 57 pesos.

Edited to say, a) I don't think Romario is that good and b) I quoted prices for a "large" pizza here but I think we can agree that a large pizza here isn't exactly the same as a large in the US. Two healthy adults could probably easily eat a "large" pizza here.

Ries said:
I think when comparing the taste, and quality, of a pizza from Italy or the US with Buenos Aires, you have to also figure in the cost.

In Queens NY I can get big slices for $3-4 bucks each and 6 garlic knots for a buck and it's still way better than anything here. And those slices are like 1/3-1/2 the size of a pizza in B.A.

arty said:
In Queens NY I can get big slices for $3-4 bucks each and 6 garlic knots for a buck and it's still way better than anything here. And those slices are like 1/3-1/2 the size of a pizza in B.A.

You mean something like "this" with fake bits of plastic "meat" on it....."that thing" you call pizza only will be eaten here if there was a nuclear explosion and people do not have anything else to eat and even with that disgrace I'll doubt they will touch it.

mariasspecial.jpg

Or this slimy, rubbery greasy slices thingy from Cobbs Hill Pizza???

cobbshillslices.jpg

And the underside...YUCK!

cobbshillunderside.jpg

That's what I call a NY pizza...yummy...only for the yankeelanders

Those photos are disgusting. If this is what people in this forum is defending... So you don't like mozzarella. Ok. We do.

Wellllll - I'm a NYer and neither of those look particularly appealing or like a particularly good representation of NY pizza.

And NY pizza is a thin crust and meant to be folded in half when eaten with your hands ;)

Ries said:
I am trying to imagine how a place that charged $50 to $60 (pesos) for a pizza would do in BsAs.
And I am guessing not very well.

You have to consider the RELATIVE cost you $%&!$%&! numpty!
You're paying US$14 for a pizza in Seattle where you earn how much? Let's say, conservatively, US$4000/month? And here in Argentina, where the average worker takes home AR$1500/month....less than US$400/month....one $%&!$%&! tenth of a US income. So if you want to make a fair comparison you need to compare your US$14 pizza with a AR$5 pizza in Argentina, not a AR$60 pizza.

Reactions: vxx
Lucas said:
Y
That's what a call a NY pizza...yummy...only for the yankeelanders

You want, I can show the worst pizza here and the boxes it comes it.. I'm amazed they can still hold the pizza in the box due to the amount of grease that is absorbed.

For a lot of NYC pizza pix (you will see variety, not something that happens here very often when it comes to anything, especially pizza)

http://www.idreamofpizza.com/

Back