The worst pizza in the world?

mcaffa said:
I completely agree that the pizza here sucks. I've been here for almost 6 years and I have only had two really good (but not great) pizzas in Buenos Aires.

If you go somewhere for a reasonably priced pizza, 90% of the time you get pre-pizza (store-bought crust) that tastes like cardboard. The other thing is that they use very little sauce, which is my biggest complaint. C'mon people - the secret is in the sauce!

IMHO, Pizza Hut's pizza is twenty times better than what's served here - and that is pretty sad to say.

THAT'S VERY SAD INDEED, that is why they last so little time in this country because it was sooooo good and people liked it soooo much that they went for good in a rush just to pissoff all the portenos.

I went for pizza Thursday night.

CALA Pizza in Recoleta. http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar/detail.php?ID=2989

A Large "Basil" Pizza- (Sauce, Cheese, & Basil) was AR$48

They actually have a wood burning pizza area (I think), it's definitely not a big metal oven. They also serve the pizza on a wood board that has a piping hot metal circular plate/flat surface that continues to cook the crust after it gets to your table. This made a HUGE difference in the crust.

The crust was actually crispy and pretty darned delicious. I know, it's crazy. But I ate with 3 Brits and an Argie and all 5 of us really liked the pizza. Many of the large pizzas were in the AR$50s with a few even in the AR$60s, so it's kind of expensive. And the large wasn't too large. (Not like NYC.)

So not only did it not suck ass, it was actually quite good. I know. Amazing!

Instead of looking for great pizza in BA we have a new criteria............."It did not suck"

Lucas said:
THAT'S VERY SAD INDEED, that is why they last so little time in this country because it was sooooo good and people liked it soooo much that they went for good in a rush just to pissoff all the portenos.

Maybe it was the portenos, not the pizza.

As has been said many times before, the problem is the crust and the low quality cheese. I think, though, that you could make it at home. Just buy the very best ingredients you can find here. Some of the best pizza I have had was made at home. Sorry, but pizza is just one of those things that aren't done well here so you will have to do it yourself.

yes if you make it yourself you can avoid the 6 lbs of salt they dump into the mix

I make my pizza at home now, and it's the only pizza that I eat. But making it at home does not mean using "prefab" ingredients! Make the crust from scratch (it's even easier if you use the "pizza" flour mix that they sell, it doesn't have salt in it) and all your fresh ingredients. I absolutely love the pizza that I make, and I thank Argentina for making me have to learn ;)

MizzMarr said:
I make my pizza at home now, and it's the only pizza that I eat. But making it at home does not mean using "prefab" ingredients! Make the crust from scratch (it's even easier if you use the "pizza" flour mix that they sell, it doesn't have salt in it) and all your fresh ingredients. I absolutely love the pizza that I make, and I thank Argentina for making me have to learn ;)

A win-win situation, everyone is happy, and..

I know exactly what you mean!

Back