Thinking Of Moving To Ba For A While, Safety Fears?

Near the zoo seems like a good choice as we looked at things to do with the kids. I took a glance at few rentals in that area, they seem to be decent for about $1000 a month. Is that cheap or expensive for the location? I mean, using an online booking, not sure if it's the right way to rent in Argentina

That is a decent price for an apartment that would fit a family of 4 in that neighborhood. But no, it's not the best way to rent. You need to research the blue dollar and the restricted currency exchange situation here. Cash is king. Search the forums or search Google. You should maybe get a 2 week or 1 month temporary rental and then when you arrive you can actually go see the places and get a feel for neighborhoods before you make your final decision. But I suppose if you're only here for 1-3 months, just pick it based on the photo.

I think Argentinos (that I know anyway) are indeed exaggerated related to many things when it comes to security. Mostly in the area of home break-ins, I'd say is where their real exaggeration is. It happens, even in "closed" neighborhoods with security, but not very often in most places where the paranoia is strongest (although maybe that says something good about their paranoia!).

Where you are talking about is fine as related to home break-ins go and many other situations as well.

The biggest issues we've seen here are street robberies, sometimes in the middle of the day but mostly in the early mornings like from 1:00 am to 7:00 am. Just a few weeks ago my 16-year-old sister-in-law was robbed in front of the Ministry of the Exterior (Palacio San Martin), half a block from Mercosur headquarters, a block from a police station, at 7:30 am on the way to catch the bus for school. Friends of mine have been robbed by motochorros in highly populated "safe" places in the middle of the day.

Personally, I've never been robbed (or assaulted, outside of one traffic incident where the other idiot hit my car, I had to chase him down, and he came out of his car pissed at ME!) but every family member (about 15 or so, all told) of mine has been robbed at least once, and others multiple times (on the street - not counting robberies by what appeared to be their fellow workers...).

Most likely, though, if you're reasonably careful and cognizant of what's going on, you don't have much to be worried about at the moment.

One is more likely to be broken in the apt or mugged in the streets in The Plush Barrios, since the motochorros operate in those areas where the loot is greater, they are no dummies. If they snatch the purse of a mucama in Constitucion de loot may be not worthwhile...! Apts in Constitucion are not broken in that often according to the news. Colombians work in Palermo Recoleta Barrion Norte, Belgrano, etc. Besides why would one go to La Boca, Pompeya, Constitucion, Once , etc :D

How fast do you have to run to be able to out run a bear?

Faster than the slowest person in the group.

I find that old joke very relevant to security in Buenos Aires.

No kidding. The motochorros will out run you. So many friends of mine have been robbed simply walking down the sidewalk in Palermo, Recoleta, where ever you name it. It's like any big city: you have to be cautious. The difference with BA is that a rich neighborhood doesn't mean it's a safer. Looks are deceiving here. If you value you're camera equipment don't take it out in BA and save it for when you go to Patagonia.

I always argued that Argentines are not poor, to the extent to warrant being forced to make the wrong call: stealing and violence.
They have generous social support benefits. (to the extent that may conflict with economy)
[background=transparent]I had several heated arguments and long posts.[/background]

[background=transparent]It goes without saying, it's never right.[/background]
[background=transparent]But, with sever circumstances, one would understand. Understand does not make it right.[/background]
[background=transparent]Sever circumstances, hardly exist in Argentina, compared to lots [background=transparent]misery of [/background] the real poor around the world.[/background]

I lived for 4 years in balvanera am starting my second year in nuñez, there is no comparison between the neighborhoods. AT ALL. I wouldn't lump balvanera in with constitution and mataderos but still, to say that it's the same as living in Nuñez or Devoto or something like that just shows how little you know about the areas. The difference is night and day. The same with San Telmo, Monseratt etc.

I always argued that Argentines are not poor, to the extent to warrant being forced to make the wrong call: stealing and violence.
They have generous social support benefits. (to the extent that may conflict with economy)
[background=transparent]I had several heated arguments and long posts.[/background]

[background=transparent]It goes without saying, it's never right.[/background]
[background=transparent]But, with sever circumstances, one would understand. Understand does not make it right.[/background]
[background=transparent]Sever circumstances, hardly exist in Argentina, compared to lots [background=transparent]misery of [/background] the real poor around the world.[/background]

Not to mention that en Villa 31 they have satellites and free wi-fi, free netbooks from the school given to them, free cable TV service, and they receive a subsidy for every child they have.

Back