Thinking Of Moving To Ba For A While, Safety Fears?

I lived for 4 years in balvanera am starting my second year in nuñez, there is no comparison between the neighborhoods. AT ALL. I wouldn't lump balvanera in with constitution and mataderos but still, to say that it's the same as living in Nuñez or Devoto or something like that just shows how little you know about the areas. The difference is night and day. The same with San Telmo, Monseratt etc.

How old are you?
Look, I ve been living in this city for 36 years, so dont tell me I know "a little" or that I "must be joking". I know the city a lot better than you. What I said or tried to say is that these middle class neighborhoods are all pretty much the same concerning security. Yes, Balvanera is IMO at the same level than Nuñez and at the same level at Boedo and at the same level as Congreso. Its not like crime is located in one neighborhood especifically, so the parameter would be if its looks dangerous, dodgy, etc. I think all these barrios, excepting Recoleta and Puerto Madero, are at the same level if you have to walk at night. The 'feeling' is the same, maybe you have blocks that differ, maybe you have more movement in Balvanera by night than in Nuñez, or there are more lights in Congreso than in Devoto, but again, the feeling of safety woud be pretty much the same. They are all very porteños neighbourhoods, they are not Quilmes or Avellaneda. People are almost the same.

How old are you?
Look, I ve been living in this city for 36 years, so dont tell me I know "a little" or that I "must be joking". I know the city a lot better than you.

Look I qualified my previous statement by mentioning the two neighborhoods in buenos aires in which I've lived, not for weeks, not for months, but for years. You have been here a lot longer than me so I will bow to your superior knowledge on the other neighborhoods, but what you posted about the two that I've lived in completely clashes with my perception and experiences.

I don't really want to get in a dragged out argument over this but do me a favor, if you have some free time this long weekend go walk the the square formed by Ibera, Arribeños, Larralde and Amenabar at 1am. Then go walk the square formed by chile, savedra, irygoyen and rincon at the same time and tell me that it's the same experience.

Don't get me wrong, I've never been robbed in balvanera and I'm not trying to compare it to avalleneda or ciudadela or ramos (all places I've had to walk through after 1am) where fortunately I've never been robbed either. But it's not the same as nuñez or coghlan.

There's not a lot of nature to be photographed in Palermo (or most of the rest of Buenos Aires), unless you consider feral housecats a part of nature.

Actually, you are very misinformed about the biodiversity on your doorstep. Even the Reserva Ecologica Costanera Sur (RECS) in downtown Capital Federal (just 330 hectares) has more bird species (over 300 recorded) than most Caribbean islands. It has more bird species recorded than the regular list for the entire UK of breeding species, winter visitors and passage migrants... and that's just one tiny reserve inside a capital city urban area. If you really want to know, Argentina has more than 10% of the World's birds (over 1000 species).... which means you were really talking out of your ass ajoknoblauch!!!! Now, if you want to talk about reptiles, you are in for a hiding.

I suggest you come and enjoy the nature here and take full photographic opportunity.

Actually, you are very misinformed about the biodiversity on your doorstep. Even the Reserva Ecologica Costanera Sur (RECS) in downtown Capital Federal (just 330 hectares) has more bird species (over 300 recorded) than most Caribbean islands. It has more bird species recorded than the regular list for the entire UK of breeding species, winter visitors and passage migrants... and that's just one tiny reserve inside a capital city urban area. If you really want to know, Argentina has more than 10% of the World's birds (over 1000 species).... which means you were really talking out of your ass ajoknoblauch!!!! Now, if you want to talk about reptiles, you are in for a hiding.

I suggest you come and enjoy the nature here and take full photographic opportunity.

You note I said "most of the rest," but then ignore that qualification. I have been to the Reserva Ecológica (in reality, a reclaimed rubbish dump) many times, and it's just about the only place in the city to see wildlife (unless you count cockroaches and rats). That said, it varies considerably according to the season and whether there's been rain. Not exactly a highlight, especially compared to wildlands like Iberá.

Well, I could name various areas and reserves around Buenos Aires which naturalists regularly visit and enjoy, so going back to the original post just PM me and I will advise.

You note I said "most of the rest," but then ignore that qualification. I have been to the Reserva Ecológica (in reality, a reclaimed rubbish dump) many times, and it's just about the only place in the city to see wildlife (unless you count cockroaches and rats). That said, it varies considerably according to the season and whether there's been rain. Not exactly a highlight, especially compared to wildlands like Iberá.

I agree that Iberá is a mind-blowing destination. Not sure why you mention it to be honest given that there are hundreds of destinations in the country for nature watching-photography, and the RECS and Ibera marshes aren't even in the same ecosystems. BTW hope you get over your cockroach bed-crawling / bed-creeping nightmare... I know,. It's when you wake up with them in your face or hair that it can be anoying.. not as fascinating as seeing one larger than your hand though. If I can dig out my photo from Costa Rica I will post it.

Hello everyone

We are a family with 2 little kids currently living in the Caribbean. We are a bit tired of hot weather and routine beach life and we were thinking of relocating for 3 months to a colder place with rich culture.

It's been quite safe here as we live in a gated place with armed security and we have become very streetwise.... I think.. the locals here are very friendly as we live in a small town where people know each other.

I am a nature videographer with alot of expensive equipment. I am very attentive when I am in the street but what about leaving stuff at home, say in Palermo district?

I keep hearing bad news about robberies in BA, I would really hate to lose my gear, as it puts food on our table. I know it might sound naive from a streetwise guy but it seems to me I lost my wisdom of living in a large city.

Dmitry
Argies are looking for hot weather and nice beaches. It can be hot in BA too, there is no beach here, and it can be cold.

BTW hope you get over your cockroach bed-crawling / bed-creeping nightmare... I know,. It's when you wake up with them in your face or hair that it can be anoying..
(above quote edited for brevity)

I really wish you hadn't said that. I understand, (and sometimes share), your exasperation with jokie and his habit of endless cheap shots at anything and anyone that crosses his sights. But did you really have to inflict that on the rest of us?

Thank you folks for your answers. Very informative. But I have a feeling that there is a lot of stress to deal with living in BA? We are too relaxed here and no stress at all, I bet we would need to adupt to hecktic lifestyle.

Dimitry,

You could be right, but living out in the suburbs is far less stressful than CapFed (I have done both in the last 25 years). And I also have two small children. So hey why not give it a trial, and lets swap houses for a month or two. Which island did you say you were living on ?

Mark

Dimitry,

You could be right, but living out in the suburbs is far less stressful than CapFed (I have done both in the last 25 years). And I also have two small children. So hey why not give it a trial, and lets swap houses for a month or two. Which island did you say you were living on ?

Mark

I was looking at Plata suburb online, but there is nothing available for rent there... Well, the condo we rent here is $1300 US per month + electric of around $130. We are now discussing a better season for a visit as our summer is winter in Argentina and vice versa. So if I plan on shooting in Patagonia, December and January would look more reasonable... How is the criminal situation in the suburbs?

Back