Uber Is Gaining Momentum

http://www.thebubble.com/why-do-some-uber-drivers-ask-passengers-to-sit-in-the-front-seat/

Is Uber illegal in BA? How does it work? Is there a special AP? Does it get charged to a credit card? I have never used Uber. I would worry about credit card fraud in Argentina using Uber.

Is Uber illegal in BA? How does it work? Is there a special AP? Does it get charged to a credit card? I have never used Uber. I would worry about credit card fraud in Argentina using Uber.
It is done automatically through Uber when you sign up with your credit card online - no need for anything else. Payment handling all done by uber - works very very well and safe. Used it everywhere.

Where do you sign up? This can only be used with a smartphone, right?

Uber is spectacular. I live in Zona Norte and any time I go out to dinner or to get a drink in capital I take an Uber in town then back home. Never had any problems. I had the app downloaded from the states. All the drivers I've had are super nice. A few were a bit lost in terms of directions (relied too much on GPS), but thats pare for the course anywhere. Definitely recommend Uber to anyone, especially if you live in Provincia where taxis from capital will rob you blind. Recently, a cab driver tried to charge me a flat rate $300 from River Plate's stadium in Nunez to my apartment in Martinez, a short and straight shot, far easier than say, going to Recoleta from River, a trip that would probably cost half of what he was trying to charge me, maybe less. With Uber, I normally get charged about 130-40 to go from Martinez all the way to Palermo which is a much longer and more complicated route.

Yeah, there's something about that magic line between Capital Federal and the provincia that drives taxi drivers mad.

Just another reason that shows taxis are too comfortable within their union, run by thugs, and a little competition will do them wonders. The truth is, they are so idiotic to freak out so much to begin with about Uber, and it just makes them look like a group of thugs working for mafia. I will never look for an Uber ride to go 10 blocks when I can stand on just about any street in Cap Fed (or easily go to one where taxis pass by often) and put my hand out and get a ride. Even finding an Uber driver would be more effort than just doing that in most cases, it seems. And besides, as someone mentioned, too many people here don't have credit cards.

Although I can see it being different during rush hour, or when it's raining. During rush hour, I don't see how taxis can complain - they seem to be not be so available, which means they must have plenty of business, and if I need to get somewhere during rush hour so what if I take an Uber ride? And when it's raining - I've talked with taxi drivers as to why it's so hard to find a taxi when it rains and I've almost always been told that it's because they are afraid of wrecking their car and a lot of them simply don't drive when it rains. Woosies.

But to go to the province? They don't want to for the most part, and particularly not from centro. The remises might bitch about it, and I could understand to an extent, but I haven't really noticed too much bitching from them.

I haven't liked taxis in general here, even though they are easy to get and relatively inexpensive if you compare them to the rest of the world, since about the third time I got into a taxi and the clock ran fast. Or maybe it was the third time I got a switch on counterfeit bills... I remember one time riding with a taxi, and the girls were with me so I wasn't too pissed off with the guy, that the clock was about double what the registration paper showed it should be. I timed it with him (I was next to him in the front seat), first looking at blocks (assuming a rough average of 100 meters per block), then looking at his speedometer and he never once admitted it was wrong, made up whatever excuse that occurred to him (and there were like 3 or 4 different excuses), but didn't say anything when I paid him half of what he asked and got out.

Of course, I have to admit that the vast majority of taxi rides I've had I have not been cheated, but still...

Personally I have found taxi drivers amongst the best in BA.

However, this claim is basis :-

1. I dont travel to Provincia
2. For airport, I use remi
3. for every 20 drivers I use, one of them is a idiot.

Worldwide, I have faced some really nasty taxi drivers who may not be crooks but can be really rude. The worst taxi drivers I have faced in my life are from NYC.

Having said that I am enjoying using Uber in BA especially to go to Ezeiza and for longer rides...where the money saving is evident.

I am visiting BA for 3 months in mid November. two questions about Uber there? 1. Can you get Uber at the EZE airport? Is Uber legal at the airport in BA? 2. I know it will be automatically billed to me American credit card. Is there a transaction fee? Can I pay dollars or pesos instead?

Yes you can

Legal grey area (outlawed in the city (airport is not in the city), supposedly legal nationally, in litigation)

Last I checked uber billed in dollars

Yeah, there's something about that magic line between Capital Federal and the provincia that drives taxi drivers mad.

Just another reason that shows taxis are too comfortable within their union, run by thugs, and a little competition will do them wonders. The truth is, they are so idiotic to freak out so much to begin with about Uber, and it just makes them look like a group of thugs working for mafia. I will never look for an Uber ride to go 10 blocks when I can stand on just about any street in Cap Fed (or easily go to one where taxis pass by often) and put my hand out and get a ride. Even finding an Uber driver would be more effort than just doing that in most cases, it seems. And besides, as someone mentioned, too many people here don't have credit cards.

Although I can see it being different during rush hour, or when it's raining. During rush hour, I don't see how taxis can complain - they seem to be not be so available, which means they must have plenty of business, and if I need to get somewhere during rush hour so what if I take an Uber ride? And when it's raining - I've talked with taxi drivers as to why it's so hard to find a taxi when it rains and I've almost always been told that it's because they are afraid of wrecking their car and a lot of them simply don't drive when it rains. Woosies.

But to go to the province? They don't want to for the most part, and particularly not from centro. The remises might bitch about it, and I could understand to an extent, but I haven't really noticed too much bitching from them.

I haven't liked taxis in general here, even though they are easy to get and relatively inexpensive if you compare them to the rest of the world, since about the third time I got into a taxi and the clock ran fast. Or maybe it was the third time I got a switch on counterfeit bills... I remember one time riding with a taxi, and the girls were with me so I wasn't too pissed off with the guy, that the clock was about double what the registration paper showed it should be. I timed it with him (I was next to him in the front seat), first looking at blocks (assuming a rough average of 100 meters per block), then looking at his speedometer and he never once admitted it was wrong, made up whatever excuse that occurred to him (and there were like 3 or 4 different excuses), but didn't say anything when I paid him half of what he asked and got out.

Of course, I have to admit that the vast majority of taxi rides I've had I have not been cheated, but still...

As a former taxi driver in BA I can tell you they taxi drivers hate rides out of Capital because they're unlikely to pick up a passenger on the way back. They lose time and money making the long trip out of the city not even worth it

Back