US Aid to Haiti

Orwellian,
The USA has only been around for a little more that 200 years so I don't think they have done ANYTHING throughout history. And no they did not torture innocent people.

If you go to Venezuela and ask the majority of the people who live there who keep voting for Chavez, I am sure you will get a completely different response than if you ask your white middle class friends.

The poor and uneducated like him because of handouts - the people that are making the economy run are leaving...and if you are current on the situation in Venezuela, I think you would re-think your position. Also, I think you are a racist as well...neither my friends nor I are white...cannot anyone other than a "White middle class" person do well? Does it disturb you that non-whites are your equal if not superior?

But that wasn't my point anyways.
I'm almost afraid to ask- What was your point? Or was this pointless...

You should read about how involved CIA and American companies were into the disappearance of thousands of Argentines.
I would love to - tell me some publications that I can read about this - not some goofy internet blog. My wife is a world traveled and well educated Argentine and she is not aware of this information. Shed knows about the military dictatorship and the disappearances but cannot affirm the heavy CIA involvement you mention. We would both like to read this.

As far as the Malvinas, Argentina was the aggressor here, not the British. Have you ever visited the Falklands? If you do, you would find that they indeed have little good to say about the Argentines and there are plenty of warning signs still around to keep you out of the mine fields laid by the portenos. I spent the day with a fellow in the Falklands that was the voice on the radio narrating the invasion to the rest of the world - his view is very different that the Argentine view.

orwellian said:
It's not an insult, an insult would be: "You fucking idiot". You are an ignorant American because you don't know anything about what the CIA did here. And if anyone doesn't have any arguments here, it is you.

FYI, I'm Argentinian.

I believe you confuse Argentina with Chile - the CIA had no part in the Dirty War, but was involved in toppling Allende's government in Chile. CHILE, you know? That long skinny country on the other side of the Andes?

And now I really must say goodbye to you and your so-called arguments.

I would say most of the anti-American sentiment on this forum is expressed by people who are not American nor Argentine. ;)

I missed this thread when it was started but of course I'm thrilled that there was such a large relief effort. I truly hope that it continues as the real crisis in Haiti hasn't even begun. I have a friend who is involved in doing infrastructure planning (she's an academic BTW, not government) and they're working on some amazing things. The country was in awful shape before this latest crisis, I hope this may lead to some much-needed improvements.

Re: anti-US sentiment here - well, I've not really experienced it. I've certainly had friends bash US foreign policies and the government (some parts of which I've agreed on, others not) but as someone posted early on, most people I've interacted with here differentiate between the US government and US citizens.

SaraSara said:
FYI, I'm Argentinian.

I believe you confuse Argentina with Chile - the CIA had no part in the Dirty War, but was involved in toppling Allende's government in Chile. CHILE, you know? That long skinny country on the other side of the Andes?

How naive are you? Of course they had a hand in it. Do you seriously think that Argentina would be the only country they did not meddle with?
When you say you're Argentinian, were you raised here? Didn't they teach you about your history in school? Or were you raised in the United States perhaps?

My wife is Argentine - she was raised here and schooled here - and she was here during the Dirty War. She asked me to ask you for serious literature that would show the CIA involvement.

Or is this another invention that you have convinced yourself is the truth?

SaraSara said:
FYI, I'm Argentinian.

So, You aren't really an expat but are posting here at a speed close to the rate of blahblah.

Why?

Ernest said:
My wife is Argentine - she was raised here and schooled here - and she was here during the Dirty War. She asked me to ask you for serious literature that would show the CIA involvement.

Or is this another invention that you have convinced yourself is the truth?

Last time you thought it was just "another invention" of mine I gave you examples. I even asked a few questions, you ignored all of it.

Regarding this "invention", read about Operation Condor for example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Condor

steveinbsas said:
So, You aren't really an expat but are posting here at a speed close to the rate of blahblah.

Why?

She's probably an expat, just has an Argentine passport because she was born here.

steveinbsas said:

Why?

Well, in the first place, because I like hearing viewpoints different from those of my Argentine friends and kin.

In the second place, I'm not an Expat but a Repat - left Argentina when I got married and have now returned after many years' absence. Almost no one I know speaks English, and I don't want to lose it.

And thirdly, as someone with a foot in each culture, I may have something to contribute. In fact, I have received quite a few PMs asking for specific information, and did free translations for board members.

If my "speed close to the rate of blahblah" bothers you, just skip my posts. But if there are many more posters like Orwellian and Vikingo in this board, I'm sure my enthusiasm will cool down pretty quickly.

SaraSara said:
Despite the Malvinas/Falklands, Argentinians greatly admire the British. Always have.

They are blessed with a cachet, a snob appeal that no other nationality enjoys.

There was a survey carried out by Gallup last year which determined that the US is the country Argentines hate most... and in 2nd place was England..

I challenge you to find 10 argies how admire those pirates...

You are definitely another ignorant brain-washed by the media expat...

Back