Us Embassy Warning On Crime In Argentina

We have a short-term rental apartment and the guy staying there from the US was just mugged in La Boca. 3 guys jumped him, hit him and stole his smartphone. He ended up a bit out of it and in the hospital getting 3 stitches. On the way to the police station with Defensoria del Turista to file a report, they witnessed another robbery. Definitely not the impression to go home with...

Broad daylight or middle of the night?

Thanks, Bob

My wife grew up in La Boca and said that corner is particularly dangerous. There is a small "villa" very close by.

Even though it's 100 meters from Caminito, it's no place to be for tourists.

http://www.clarin.com/policiales/Boca-pegaron-turista-EEUU-robarle_0_1223277787.html

What are talking about?
The same "problems" we have in Argentina are also present in all of the others mentioned. Maybe worse than Argentina. So just wondering if the the Embassy sends out the same letter everywhere. Maybe its a form letter to cover their a*s. I thought my answer was obvious.

Tom

My husband is from a different part of La Boca, and he has told me expressly not to wander in that area. The one time I ignored that warning, I wound up phoning him from the police station with my two English friends, after they had been removed of their phones and cameras. I ran quicker they they did, and escaped unharmed.

The embassy bulletin is a good reminder that street crime like that is a more frequent occurance in BA than we may like to admit.

My husband is from a different part of La Boca, and he has told me expressly not to wander in that area. The one time I ignored that warning, I wound up phoning him from the police station with my two English friends, after they had been removed of their phones and cameras. I ran quicker they they did, and escaped unharmed.

The embassy bulletin is a good reminder that street crime like that is a more frequent occurance in BA than we may like to admit.

I had a stone thrown at my eye in La Boca. I think this goes beyond street crime, which I tend to associate with being pick pocketed or at worst forced to hand over your goods; it happens like this in places like London for example. What's happening here is beyond that, phyiscal attacks, obviously murder, and full on armed robbery. Busy periods, daylight, in a crowd, on your own. It is at the stage where most people are probably going out thinking something will happen to them, or at least accepting that it is a very good possibility. I think the fact most of us have a story to tell directly or indirectly says it all. There is a corner by me where people are being frequently attacked, a husband and wife had guns in their neck and had to hand over all their money, earings ripped out, and he had to give his jacket and shoes, although they missed his iPhone. The week before on the same corner at 11am a woman had a gun put on her kids until she handed over what she had, she had nothing so they hit her and took her house key.

But hey, it's not as bad as Bagdad or Rio so it can't be that bad right? Wrong, this is now a crime ridden city. Now give me your money

I know someone (Argentine) who was robbed on Libertador near Montevideo. He was jogging before going to work. They took everything except his shorts (underwear). He went home barefoot and almost naked. He wasn't hurt though. I know you can get robbed in New York or London - but stripped naked?

I had a stone thrown at my eye in La Boca. I think this goes beyond street crime, which I tend to associate with being pick pocketed or at worst forced to hand over your goods; it happens like this in places like London for example. What's happening here is beyond that, phyiscal attacks, obviously murder, and full on armed robbery. Busy periods, daylight, in a crowd, on your own. It is at the stage where most people are probably going out thinking something will happen to them, or at least accepting that it is a very good possibility. I think the fact most of us have a story to tell directly or indirectly says it all. There is a corner by me where people are being frequently attacked, a husband and wife had guns in their neck and had to hand over all their money, earings ripped out, and he had to give his jacket and shoes, although they missed his iPhone. The week before on the same corner at 11am a woman had a gun put on her kids until she handed over what she had, she had nothing so they hit her and took her house key.

But hey, it's not as bad as Bagdad or Rio so it can't be that bad right? Wrong, this is now a crime ridden city. Now give me your money
What corner is that? May be a good corner to avoid.

Tom

Yes, still can't work out where in the thread the location of the diabolical corner was mentioned. Can you read each other's minds?

Back