Usama's Funeral Bash

Status
Not open for further replies.
steveinbsas said:
Do you really know who your friends are?

Although I can get pretty heated in discussions. Jaredweb was pretty out of line, even for my standards.

And look who's talking. Mr hypocrite:

steveinbsas said:
Rest in peace if you can

steveinbsas said:
So who are you and what are your standards?

Well assuming that you were referring to some of my replies in a similar thread. Who I am is quite offtopic.

Napoleon said:
You may find it hard to believe, but my posts actually had nothing to do with you. Mainly because I don't care about your point.

So why did you quote me then? In fact, my reply was the only thing you quoted in your entire post. This is what you said:

Napoleon said:
While we're all waiting for President Obama to gather as much evidence as possible and personally take it to tanvimil to convince him that bin Laden is "no long with us"

So how exactly are you going to try to convince me? Because I base my opinions on scientific facts. And Obama's word I don't really consider a scientific fact, sorry.

Mitch said:
I think Obama mentioned you in his speech the other day, Roswell, the moon landing, and the two really not dead rap singers. Would love to chat with you about the WTC.

So just because I demand proof I somehow don't believe in the moon landing? I don't believe in Adam & Eve either, why not vilify me for that as well?

The most ironic part of all this is having conspiracy theorists accuse you of being a conspiracy theorists. It's not a illegal to make up a story that you killed someone. Although for a group of people to plan and execute a murder would by definition be a conspiracy, and thus be a conspiracy theory.

So if anyone are conspiracy theorists, it is the people who believe that the Americans murdered him. Despite that it is actually these people who constantly use this word to demonize people who disagree with that assumption.

That is in effect what George Orwell called 'doublethink' in his novel 1984. It is to accept two contradictory beliefs as correct at the same time.

tanvimil said:
I think the credibility of the U.S has already been destroyed long time ago. And announcing that they disposed of the body, the only evidence they had, didn't really help. Sure you can go ahead and take a lying politician's word for it. You are probably one of those still waiting for him to implement his change™.

I LOL'd..
Obama wants to be re-elected. His credibility in the eyes of the American electorate is what matters, on this pressing issue: does the big bad bogeyman walk the realms of existence?

Napoleon said:
\There are many people who are torn about the news of Obama's death. That's what this thread is about.

I apologize for being off-topic, but I feel incredible joy whenever I see this mistake in print, and it serves as an additional reminder of the tolerance of the American voter: namely, that they elected a gay, black African muslim, whose very name recalls (and is repeatedly confused with, even by well-wishers) the two most hated villains in recent American history.

tanvimil said:
Although I can get pretty heated in discussions. Jaredweb was pretty out of line, even for my standards.

And look who's talking. Mr hypocrite:

Standards??? LMAO! You have zero ethics, morals or standards. You are just as bad as Redrum (if not worse).

For all the condescending and judgmental responses regarding the Osama celebrations I just wanted to share a rebuttal to this "argument" from a good friend of mine who also happened to join the army after the 2001 attacks. Someone mentioned something about burning Korans and wearing cowboy hats, which was a very ignorant and inaccurate stereotype of the people that went out there to celebrate. While I may not have participated in the celebrations, I also know that it's wrong to tell people how they should react to something, especially if it hits close to home. Anywhere here's what he wrote:

But I can say as someone who joined the Army in 2002 to help find Bin Laden and kill him, to strike back at the heart of an ideological movement that made a choice to justify the killing of innocents in order to further a political cause -- terrorism -- I am all for cheering his death. He chose to take his father's name, that of a man who became rich through the construction of infrastructure in the Middle East (providing jobs in the process), and then taking his father's money, getting a fancy education, and convincing listless, disempowered males who, as Omar Nasiri wrote in "Inside the Jihad", are easily manipulated by convincing calls to jihad and piety:

“His eyes flickered for a moment, and I knew I had him. There are guys like this all over the world: they drink, they smoke, they snort coke, they are complete infidels in the eyes of real Muslims. But at the first mention of the words umma or jihad they suddenly reconnect with Islam. I think this is particularly true in Europe, where young men are so far from everything, from the Muslim land. Jihad is nothing to them, nothing real. But it is also everything.”

They brought death to not only Americans but to their own Muslim people whom they claim to love and protect. They helped to empower Arab dictators (who sought funding via counter-terrorism, and oppressing dissidents in the name of stopping terror) and the international security infrastructure which makes us take off our shoes and endure radiation at airports and submit to domestic surveillance through the PATRIOT Act.

A lot of what you are complaining about is related to the US's prosecution of the War on Terror, which has been an utter waste of money relative to how it should have been done. But it was a response to a threat from people who enjoy the deaths of Americans, westerners, impious Muslims, and others. They were worth fighting against.

No, the struggle is not over. Awlaki is the current operational threat, and Zawahiri and his strategic council still operate in AfPak, although at a far less threatening level than before to American interests. But it ends a significant chapter in American history and in the history of terrorism. It has been a brutal decade. I joined the Army to go kill that piece of shit and I was sent to Iraq instead. One of the soldiers in my Army unit lost his father in 9/11, as he was a firefighter for the FDNY. I've lost other friends to stupid accidents in combat zones. A lot of dumb, pointless, destructive, lethal nonsense happened as a result of what we have done. Yes, no dispute.

I guess it makes more sense for military to rejoice in bin Laden's death. After all, they are trained to hunt, destroy, and kill. A dead leader of a terrorist organization is the stuff of legends for Special Operations. It's what you hope you'll get a chance to be a part of. A civilian should show more restraint, and seek human justice and freedom from oppression. But that assumes evil in this world does not exist. Okay, MLK Jr. would not have rejoiced in needless death or suffering (e.g. Vietnam), but it's not entirely clear beyond his oft-quoted remarks how he felt about what should be done about evil.

No, it does not fix our problems. But what kind of way is that to approach anything? Let us not celebrate one's birthday with copious amounts of food, for there are children suffering around the world of hunger and poverty? Thanks Debbie Downer. Would not a constructive way to live life be to be happy and joyous when the respect for life and freedom from fear is defended against those who are bitter enough to take it away?

Do I blame bin Laden? Yes. He has been the most singular personality to define America's international affairs in the last 15 years or so. Do I rejoice in his death? Most certainly. He chose to harm the innocent, and he chose to incite others to kill. This is jubilation I feel, and I share it with my fellow military friends, many of whom spent most of their careers hunting this guy. This is the end to a dark, dark chapter, and we have good reason to be happy, as Obama pointed out.

Like the Arabic proverb says, "He who digs a hole for his brother will fall in it." Bin Laden dug a hole for his fellow man and he's finally fallen in it, thanks to two bullets to the head. It was a night mission involving clearing a compound, so I'm sure they would have preferred to capture bin Laden instead of killing him. But on an op like that, you don't often have the choice of whether to take someone's life or risk your own, when taking fire.

Whether you agree or not, if you are not spending your time on Earth making it better than how it was when you came to it, then you have wasted your time and everyone else's. So get to it.

I do understand your feelings on the matter. But this was a great freaking day.
-Ben Turner

jaredwb said:
Standards??? LMAO! You have zero ethics, morals or standards. You are just as bad as Redrum (if not worse).

That's a lot of accusations there and zero arguments. I'd respond to your them if I knew what your accusations were actually about.

LAtoBA said:
For all the condescending and judgmental responses regarding the Osama celebrations I just wanted to share a rebuttal to this "argument" from a good friend of mine who also happened to join the army after the 2001 attacks. Someone mentioned something about burning Korans and wearing cowboy hats, which was a very ignorant and inaccurate stereotype of the people that went out there to celebrate. -

Your friend says it's not clear from Martin Luther King's remark what should be done about evil. Well for a start, he should not work for them.
And he keeps saying that he is rejoiced about Bin Laden's death. Which I find a bit ironic coming from a person quoting MLK. You should tell your friend to stop mentioning MLK, because it really makes him come off as a hypocrite. But then again, people who join the army are not known to be very bright.

A man dies when he refuses to stand up for that which is right... A man dies when he refuses to stand up for justice. A man dies when he refuses to stand up for that which is true.

So we're gonna stand up right here

I don't mind

Like anybody I would like to live a long live. Longevitiy has it's place.

But I'm not concerned about that now;

I just wanna do God's will

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Expat Life 26
A Expat Life 2
Back