Venting on BAexpats...

I don't see any infrastructure being built here in Argentina lol... Trump lowered taxes on businesses - when was the last time a Peronist government made doing business easier by lowering taxes? I also don't think any Peronist governments have done ANYTHING to control the border and protect local workers - instead its actually the opposite. All neighbouring countries populations are free to cross the border and take from the system (working is optional as well). Complete opposite of Trump policies. Argentina nationalism involves screaming about Malvinas. They do run some 'special' form of protectionism where everything is expensive and shit quality complete opposite of USA where you can get good quality products made locally at good prices.

Public spending through infrastructure projects with protected union jobs that only go to Argentines is the entire economic model of this country. What do you mean there is no infrastructure being built?

I wonder what their plan for the economy will be this year hmmm - https://www.bnamericas.com/en/news/...n-us20bn-for-public-works-rd-and-connectivity

Last edited:
No infrastructure? In the city, in the last few years, I have seen a lot. Having worked in infrastructure construction in the USA for 30 years or so, I think Argentina actually does more, faster- for example, the H line got built in record time- versus the 5 different mass transit lines I have worked on in the US, which would take 2 or 3 times as long, and maybe ten times the money. The CCK was done better and faster than equivalent (well there are really any equivalents- its an incredible art and music center) in the USA, again for far less money. The Paseo Del Bajo seemed to be finished overnight, along with the complete redo of pedestrian paths and parks for most of its lengths.

If you mean right this instant- infrastructure usually takes 3 to 5 years from decision to go- and I know, from friends who are architects in BA, that there are projects in design and planning right now.

I just looked it up- the CCK cost about 20 million in 2015 USD. The Frank Gehry designed Disney Hall in LA, which has less space and performance spaces than the CCK, cost $130 million ten years earlier, and could easily have cost $200 million if done at the same time as the CCK. "corruption" is all relative, of course, but having worked on big projects like that in the USA, the waste, markups, change orders, and ridiculous rules are no comparison to what happens in Argentina.
The government here can't even look after streets - pot holes everywhere, rubbish all over the street - no efficient rubbish collection system. Public toilets non-existent or destroyed - maybe in parts of BA it looks nice - but step out 30 minutes or go into other provinces and you will see the reality.

The government here can't even look after streets - pot holes everywhere, rubbish all over the street - no efficient rubbish collection system. Public toilets non-existent or destroyed - maybe in parts of BA it looks nice - but step out 30 minutes or go into other provinces and you will see the reality.

I have not spent much time in Ba provinces ( AMBA) - maybe it true for that region - but I have traveled 7-8 cities of Argentina several times over and found them better maintained then several cities of several other countries including countries of Asia, Africa, Central America, Carribean and South America

Better roads than Central America and Africa. what a complement. Have you ever driven from BA to Bariloche? Better have a spare tire. Some of the roads in the interior looks like a Somali war zone. And I'm not exaggerating. In some places it's better to drive on the shoulder or the right of way rather than on the road "surface".

Yes, I have driven quite a bit inside Argentina, especially in last 12 months, cos of lack of flights.

And also driven in many countries all over Caribbean, Central and South America

Can they learn to maintain roads before they do all the other stuff?

I read once that it was more expensive to build/maintain roads in Argentina than many other places in the world, I think it was during the time that Austral Construcciones was building them aka Lazaro Baez. Go figure.

I get what you're saying, and I agree that many parts of Argentina are in rough shape.

Better roads than Central America and Africa. what a complement. Have you ever driven from BA to Bariloche? Better have a spare tire. Some of the roads in the interior looks like a Somali war zone. And I'm not exaggerating. In some places it's better to drive on the shoulder or the right of way rather than on the road "surface".

Driving through La Pampa at night, dodging pot holes will get your heart going. Still shocked that I haven't lost a tire there yet. Not sure why there are such massive pot holes...is the soil there sandy?

I read once that it was more expensive to build/maintain roads in Argentina than many other places in the world, I think it was during the time that Austral Construcciones was building them aka Lazaro Baez. Go figure.

I get what you're saying, and I agree that many parts of Argentina are in rough shape.

Driving through La Pampa at night, dodging pot holes will get your heart going. Still shocked that I haven't lost a tire there yet. Not sure why there are such massive pot holes...is the soil there sandy?

The road drainage is an afterthought so the water stays on the road surface and compounds the problems of poor subsurface compaction and surface material installation. Last time I drove through Rio Negro it was raining and the road was the main drainageway.

It seems people here are discussing the good infrastructure of Argentina under the belief that Argentina is just Capital. Without comparing to any other country, you don't have to go far from Capital to find third-world infrastructure. Equally with roads, it's debating in bad faith to suggest the roads here are not awful. You can drive 10 minutes to a villa in Capital to find roads that are not paved, let alone talking about travelling off highways in the interior of the country.

Have you have driven between Bariloche and Ushuaia? Have you have driven extensively in Salta? Come on, the roads can be terrible here and there are people arguing that once you get out of the city everything is fine? I think sometimes people live in a bubble of five or six barrios and think everywhere is like Palermo.

By the way, I have no issues with the bad roads once you get into rural areas, it adds to the adventure of those places, which can be very remote. I am less happy about the awful roads when I head somewhere like Moreno. The latter does speak of poor infrastructure.

Back