Visiting Buenos Aires From U.s. For 1 Month

No beef jerky??! Isn't Argentina known for their consumption of beef? In fact, I've also heard that fresh vegetables are not as common as they are here.

In any case, I'm excited to find out for myself very soon!! I plan to stay in Buenos Aires for 1 month, then head north to Posados and visit Iguazu falls. My last month will be in Mar Del Plata if all goes well. 3 months total.

I have noticed that normal supply of stuff varies surprisingly from town town (not even from province to province)
For instance there IS Jerky in Argentina, it's even called the same (charqui), and it's apparently very common in the countryside.

Some things are mind-boggling: In many towns near Mar del Plata there's a lot of seafood available (including small scallops) that in Buenos Aires would be impossible to get. There's a similar situation with beer (although only recently one of those costal "german" micro/ small breweries began filling the shelves of Buenos Aires: Antares. I remember a similar "fad" a few years back with Otro Mundo. In one of those coastal towns I discovered Alfajores do not necessarily need to taste like crappy moon pies.
Chilean beer is great, now apparently it's acceptable to import Kunstmann, so I'm waiting for my Austral.

I have a gut feeling there's similar situation with quality cheese and dairy being available in small economically stagnant communities in buenos aires and cordoba that simply cannot ship to the capital.

other examples include Welsh Famine Cake in Chubut and Carob products in northern Cordoba but also Santiago del Estero.

No beef jerky??! Isn't Argentina known for their consumption of beef? In fact, I've also heard that fresh vegetables are not as common as they are here.

In any case, I'm excited to find out for myself very soon!! I plan to stay in Buenos Aires for 1 month, then head north to Posados and visit Iguazu falls. My last month will be in Mar Del Plata if all goes well. 3 months total.

There are fresh vegetable aplenty in this country, but there may not be as much of a variety of them as you are used to finding where you are living in the US.

Yes delicious affordable fresh beef is widely available so we have no need for that disgusting rock hard MSG flavored crap

when I said charky I meant salted curated meat, in a shack, not that packaged thing you describe, no we dont got that here.
But I did buy some delicious packaged patagonian deer meat at coto. I wonder if it's wild or kept in a pen. (and what species deer ciervo refers to. pudu? I'd love to taste that puppy... I;m gonna have some Bambi now\)

you can earn some money bringing down things for other expats

Hi, I'm flying into Buenos Aires mid May. Is it true that there are items widely available in the U.S. (Where I'm flying from) That are pricy or even unattainable in Argentina?

I love it when folks ask this...

The answer is a resounding (((YES)))

Or, if you can find it, it's often times 5X ( in pesos ) what you'd pay for it in the US...

BUT..you CAN get "Sriracha Sauce" at least......

I've read here that you should bring in $US in cash - how much can you bring in without it looking dodgy to customs?

There's a similar situation with beer (although only recently one of those costal "german" micro/ small breweries began filling the shelves of Buenos Aires: Antares. I remember a similar "fad" a few years back with Otro Mundo. In one of those coastal towns I discovered Alfajores do not necessarily need to taste like crappy moon pies.
Chilean beer is great, now apparently it's acceptable to import Kunstmann, so I'm waiting for my Austral.

The Jauja ice creamery at Cerviño and Lafinur carries local beer from El Bolsón. I can't tell you how good it is, because I don't drink beer.

Alfajores always require the modifier "bad."

Back