Weird Culinary Experiences

For a chain, Volta's ice cream is OK, but it's far from the best in town.

IMHO they ARE the best in town. Yes, expensive, but with Persicco the best ones. As I said once here, the other day I had a very good ice cream, probably as good as Volta, in Pueyrredon and Melo (or Gutierrez, dont remember right), one or two blocks from Las Heras, its name is Buffala, called like that cause they make the ice cream with Buffala milk. Absolutely delicious. They place is ran by Colombians. I strongly recommend them.

edit: grammar question, its ok if I say "the place is ran" or being ran, or run, how do I say it?

IMHO they ARE the best in town. Yes, expensive, but with Persicco the best ones. As I said once here, the other day I had a very good ice cream, probably as good as Volta, in Pueyrredon and Melo (or Gutierrez, dont remember right), one or two blocks from Las Heras, its name is Buffala, called like that cause they make the ice cream with Buffala milk. Absolutely delicious. They place is ran by Colombians. I strongly recommend them.

edit: grammar question, its ok if I say "the place is ran" or being ran, or run, how do I say it?

The place is run by Colombians.

Where are you from, dude? Over here in Argentina, it has been my experience that they don't have even close to the same standards that the U.S. has when it comes to business practice and professional courtesy (although, the U.S. is far from perfect, too). There are no strict, or even loose guidelines for hardly anything here, it's kind of a free-for-all, and you could expect to get the run around quite often, especially when handling paper work. So, If you had called to complain, they might have hung up on you, or said something like, "Sorry, about that. It happens.". They do not offer refunds here or store credit, in my experience, so complaining is virtually pointless. Mostly, you might wanna just bring it to their attention that there was a mistake, especially if you could have been hurt, so they try to pay closer attention, but no one really cares, and most employees don't take their job seriously, especially when working in an ice cream shop. It also depends on the individual you speak to about it, some people will show genuine concern, while others will shrug it off. Since all business in Argentina, at least in my personal experience in Buenos Aires, Palermo, and Lanus, are privately owned by families, or private companies, they will not take you seriously because it's not common for people to complain here about those kind of things, most people just won't buy from that shop anymore. Here, people are a lot more relaxed, and they don't believe in washing hands before handling food, as I have seen in the Carniceria and restaurants, and they charge whatever prices they want to, regardless of competition, because they can do whatever they want, and so can you, for the most part. Sorry, that was longer than I intended, but just though I'd throw some personal experience out there. Just make sure you watch out for those things, because there is no Better Business Bureau here.

Where are you from, dude? Over here in Argentina, it has been my experience that they don't have even close to the same standards that the U.S. has when it comes to business practice and professional courtesy (although, the U.S. is far from perfect, too). There are no strict, or even loose guidelines for hardly anything here, it's kind of a free-for-all, and you could expect to get the run around quite often, especially when handling paper work. So, If you had called to complain, they might have hung up on you, or said something like, "Sorry, about that. It happens.". They do not offer refunds here or store credit, in my experience, so complaining is virtually pointless. Mostly, you might wanna just bring it to their attention that there was a mistake, especially if you could have been hurt, so they try to pay closer attention, but no one really cares, and most employees don't take their job seriously, especially when working in an ice cream shop. It also depends on the individual you speak to about it, some people will show genuine concern, while others will shrug it off. Since all business in Argentina, at least in my personal experience in Buenos Aires, Palermo, and Lanus, are privately owned by families, or private companies, they will not take you seriously because it's not common for people to complain here about those kind of things, most people just won't buy from that shop anymore. Here, people are a lot more relaxed, and they don't believe in washing hands before handling food, as I have seen in the Carniceria and restaurants, and they charge whatever prices they want to, regardless of competition, because they can do whatever they want, and so can you, for the most part. Sorry, that was longer than I intended, but just though I'd throw some personal experience out there. Just make sure you watch out for those things, because there is no Better Business Bureau here.
One of my most favorite things about Argentina so far.

There's a buy-one-get-half-off-second discount that comes from the Disco receipts that helps mitigate the price a bit. And the only reason I sprung for Volta was because it was the middle of the night, they were still delivering, and our local place (which has just as good ice cream for a bit less than a third of the price!) was closed.

I love frutilla al agua (not a la crema) - sounds interesting with the chocolate granizada, I'll have to try that sometime, when I decide to buy Volta again.

Some places are just getting more ridiculous than the actual inflation rate here - which is hurting the perception of real inflation and maybe even causing more.
Volta has 2 for 1 kilos on Monday. And my Disco gives 2 for 1 kilos or half kilo coupons for Volta. Now Freddo has limited flavors for $26 for a 1/4 kilo, up from $22 a few months ago - no precios cuidados for ice cream :wacko:

Persicco and Volta are adequate but not remotely close to best in town. If you must have industrial-style chain ice cream, go to Chungo.

Where are you from, dude? Over here in Argentina[...]

Heh, I assume you meant that comment for me...

I've been a member of the forum since 2009 and lived here since 2006 with only a couple of trips back to the States since then. We have two young ladies in the school system (private) here and a whole slew of relatives on the very poor side of life trying to deal with how good the government has been at "including" everyone while raising the standard of living for all [tongue in cheek comment]. I'm slightly acquainted with Argentine life :)

As I've mentioned many times on the forum, I post about things like this mostly for my own benefit, to shake off some of the things that irritate me. Complaining here lets me get it out of my system. It also may help someone, who may be considering throwing caution to the wind and moving down here, what life is really like. More power to those who would, just do so with open eyes.

And your comments about life in general here were spot-on [I don't see a thumbs up smilie or I'd use it here]

In my nearly 8 years in Buenos Aires (anniversary in August), having consumed countless kilos of helado, I've never encountered quite such a thing as dry ice pellets in my ice cream, with such potentially injurious results - imagine if I'd swallowed it! I don't actually know what it would have done to my throat and stomach on the way down.

As to why I even considered complaining to them, I suppose it's a left-over reaction from my previous life where service meant something and people really don't have a choice but to provide at least a reasonable performance in their jobs or risk losing the job. Not to mention my belief that even here there may still be things to complain to people about if only in the hope that it makes a slight difference for a few minutes...

...But the truth, is I only mentioned the possibility of complaining in the spirit of comic relief, related to watching the evidence evaporate in the kitchen sink ;)

Persicco and Volta are adequate but not remotely close to best in town. If you must have industrial-style chain ice cream, go to Chungo.

I love the little place across the street from me, better than Volta. Ah, the frambuesa al agua that they have there...

I looked up Chungo, but the nearest location (Corrientes) I think is too far for delivery. I'm not going 15 blocks for a kilo! I'll give it a shot if I'm close by at some point though. I loves me some good ice creams :)

I had another little funny experience last night, but hadn't bothered to write about it yet.

I definitely do not like milanesas here. My family loves to make it themselves (not really better than anything you can get in restaurants here, either, even though it's all hand-breaded, i.e., not store-bought already breaded) and I almost always have a salad or something a bit healthier instead. But last night we were all tired, no one felt like cooking, and the last time we called for delivery I got the pick with Chinese from China Garden near Riobamba and Santa Fe (not a bad little place, actually, and run by Chinese folk - small dining room with portions too big to eat in one sitting and the delivery is even more food - one meal lasts me two days. Pollo Hong Pao is my favorite and they'll even make it spicy if you ask for it).

So everyone decides to order from Club de Milanesa. I've actually eaten there once or twice with the family, and have found a couple of milanesas that are not too bad, taste-wise (I almost like the mustard sauce/german sausage one, although the sausages are more like Vienna sausages). But this time they ordered Napolitana (not absolutely terrible) and I decided to choose "Chedar" as my input to the meal.

Of course, I knew that it couldn't really be good - but they had on the website "chedar autentico". Even knowing that truth in advertising is a very shaky concept here, I thought at least that they would have bought some kind of block cheddar (not crumbly, certainly not sharp, but gummy/rubbery and lacking in flavor) and would have grated it and maybe even put some kind of sauce on it as well (though there is another "Salsa Chedar" which may have been better).

When it got here, I laughed when I saw the milanesa. They had bought packets of processed, poured-in-slice "cheddar" from the grocery store and laid the slices on top in a checkerboard pattern (we ordered the X-Large, which is enough for 3-4 portions). At least it was melted - but they'd placed it under a heat source so long to melt it, the cheese had bubbled and was slightly burned.

The girls liked it...

I love the little place across the street from me, better than Volta. Ah, the frambuesa al agua that they have there...

I looked up Chungo, but the nearest location (Corrientes) I think is too far for delivery. I'm not going 15 blocks for a kilo! I'll give it a shot if I'm close by at some point though. I loves me some good ice creams :)

If you like really good ice cream, ignore the chains and go to Cadore on Corrientes or Jauja on Lafinur.

Back