What A Moto Robbery Looks Like

Even if he didn't have a gun there is no excuse for trying to rob someone else's possession, no matter your circumstance. There is starting to be a ripple of sympathy for this guy, I am guessing this will turn into a wave and next year he will be dancing on Showmatch. ;)

No not symapthy. Pity. I do not justify his actions but I believe that the degradation of Argentine society is the result of corruption, loss of values and government policy that affects everything from education to social policy. Should criminsls be punished? Yes but the roots of the problems will remain until the focus is put on uplifting people through education, job training and creation along with a revival of moral values. That the society should wind up this way when its leaders are vile should be no surprise.

I do not justify the crime. It was reprehensible. What I tried to say was that this guy's character was formed by the society. It's a society that has few values anymore, that accepts no responsibility.

It's the same society that pities the S.O.B that tried to rob the Canadian. He got just what he deserved. A scarlet letter. Maybe now that he can't get a job and has been shamed publicly, he'll feel remorse.

For innumerable reasons, this guy should never have been on TV.

Not sure of the details, but my understanding is that there are laws which restrict filming in prisons, to prevent sensationalisation and glorification of crime.

If this guy is the subject of a criminal investigation what on earth is he doing on TV badgering his victim? Are the defendants in criminal trials generally allowed to contact their victims?

No he should not be on TV. He should be in jail awaiting trial. Sadly the justice system in Argentina is perverted.

For innumerable reasons, this guy should never have been on TV.

Not sure of the details, but my understanding is that there are laws which restrict filming in prisons, to prevent sensationalisation and glorification of crime.

If this guy is the subject of a criminal investigation what on earth is he doing on TV badgering his victim? Are the defendants in criminal trials generally allowed to contact their victims?

The guy is a PR asset now, people know him, he gets the eyeballs and now all he needs is a positive spin. I would not be surprised if he came back on TV later with some fabricated story about how he changed his life, or whatever. That would make a lot of business sense. The tragedy is that if I any frustrated teenager poor with limited prospects sees this, now probably thinks, well...hmm.. I could also commit an armed robbery and get away with it... This story should have been span in a way that it is an isolated incident and the police is busy on its feet sorting it out (even if that was a gross exaggeration). It seems, that out of those who could do something no one really cares, other than the ones who have direct interest in tourism money. For everyone else it is just entertainment.

This is not me bashing Argentina, its a nice country with great people, but this story is just wrong and twisted on many levels.

One of my sisters-in-law was just showing me some comments on Facebook she's encountered. Including one from an Argentina that was saying (really) that "Gaston" didn't deserve to be treated as a criminal, it wasn't he who chose a life of poverty. In fact (she really, really, went on to say) those English [sic] took the Malvinas away by force and they deserve a lot of what they get.

Yeah, there's a little bit of sympathy running around town for this idiot alright.

My sister-in-law hadn't seen the videos yet, but I had mentioned them last night at dinner, so she understood what the Facebook comments related to that she was seeing. I just showed her the actual videos (the incident and the subsequent interview) and she was literally speechless through the whole thing. She asked me what on Earth the idiot on Facebook was talking about having sympathy "para ese caradura".

Back