What Are You Watching On Netflix? Was It Any Good?

I don't use Netflix so I've no idea what's available there and what's not, but here are 2 things that might not be very well known but are my recent favorites on TV.

1. Gomorrah (TV series). I don't think there's an English version out, just italian original language with English subtitles. The series is based on the book with the same name and describes the Mafia in Naples. I'm a big fan of The Wire and Sopranos and in my opinion this series so far (until now, only season 1 is published, 2nd is in the making) doesn't need to hide between the two at all.
Thorsten, thanks for the recommendation! I read the book and now I will check out the series! The Wire is my favorite series ever. If you liked that, maybe you would like the Israeli series Hatufim/Prisoners of War. I thought it was amazing!! (It is not on Netflix, though, but still thought it deserved a mention.)

Daredevil. The highest rated show (by viewers) in the history of Netflix, topping House of Cards and Breaking Bad. Brilliant cinematography, acting, screenwriting and editing makes this the show to watch on Netflix. Be aware that it is extremely violent (Game of Thrones level or worse).
I also agree about Marvels Daredevil. What a surprise!
I think everyone (myself included) was expecting a cheesy, childish comic book hero show. The show turned out to be anything but. Instead of cardboard heroes and villains, we got fleshed out human being with depth, complexity, flaws and redeeming qualities. Instead of cheesiness and super powers, we got a gritty and violent setting, full of moral ambiguities and a handicapped hero that is moral, bleeds, and feels pain just like the rest of us.

Lots of quoting here, sorry, just had to say that I agree with all of this! I have been sick with the flu since Saturday and after I got out of the fever stage I have watched nine episodes of Daredevil... Really like it and I think it is because of what camberiu talks about: fleshed out human beings. Great characters. I didn't use my Netflix for a long time but now I am getting good use of it.

By the way amazon prime also has very good selection. Those who have it, use the movie section. Loads of free good movies, series.

Even more important, no need to use VPN etc for watching it.

By the way amazon prime also has very good selection. Those who have it, use the movie section. Loads of free good movies, series.

Even more important, no need to use VPN etc for watching it.
Amazon prime is great for shipping in the US. No good for Argentina. Why are you using Prime?

I have Prime as well. We usually find out someone is returning from the US with only a few days to get them the goods. We've done 6-8 shipments in the last 12 months. Bonus that we get streaming content for the kids. (We have two packages arriving in Austin today...they'll be here next week). :)

Amazon prime is great for shipping in the US. No good for Argentina. Why are you using Prime?

i often make impromptu short business trips to US ( 1-2 days), Amazon Prime is v handy for quick shipments ( within US). About 90 usd a year, and amazon prime movies, amazon prime music, exchange books on kindle etc

i often make impromptu short business trips to US ( 1-2 days), Amazon Prime is v handy for quick shipments ( within US). About 90 usd a year, and amazon prime movies, amazon prime music, exchange books on kindle etc

The last ship is on amazon prime, its not bad.

The body count starts to look like Normandy.
Mean while I keep hoping that somebody would bump off Oliva Pope just to put a merciful end to the series. [Scandal]
Merciful end is about right and the ending, when it came, was actually a relief.
I never expected Jax and the lads to sit around smoking, drinking and chatting about their bikes, although a bit a bike love would not have been a bad thing. I think Sutter's idea was great and he's now lauded in LA, but in the end the execution was tiresome.

We loved Nurse Jackie (still being made), but a couple of years ago, Netflix quit carrying it, at least in Argentina. Still hoping they will make it available again.

I love this thread -- no sniping!

Back